Game 16—Bowling Green

Let'sGoZips94

What was really terrible about the Sayles play was after he hit the ground the ref stood there watching for a second and then gestured to play on. Meanwhile Sayles is going into convulsions! Terrible officiating. Buddy Mayborg needs to retire or go back to calling highschool games

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

One of the usher's and I were discussing the same thing.  There's a reason they hang on the rim. 

4 years ago the Lillard kid from BG  was in the D2 Ohio state championship game and went down the middle of lane and threw one down with under a minute left that gave his team what looked like enough to pull it out, but he got T'd up and eventually his team lost in OT.  I don't think he hangs on the rim any more.

Let me know what you see when you watch the replay.  I wonder if contact caused Sayles to go down.  When it happened, Groce jumped out to yell to Sayles to get up and get up the floor, but as soon as he saw his condition he immediately changed.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

What was really terrible about the Sayles play was after he hit the ground the ref stood there watching for a second and then gestured to play on. Meanwhile Sayles is going into convulsions! Terrible officiating. Buddy Mayborg needs to retire or go back to calling highschool games

I wonder what ref's are allowed/trained to do in a situation like that.

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

4 years ago the Lillard kid from BG  was in the D2 Ohio state championship game and went down the middle of lane and threw one down with under a minute left that gave his team what looked like enough to pull it out, but he got T'd up and eventually his team lost in OT.  I don't think he hangs on the rim any more.

Let me know what you see when you watch the replay.  I wonder if contact caused Sayles to go down.  When it happened, Groce jumped out to yell to Sayles to get up and get up the floor, but as soon as he saw his condition he immediately changed.

I think there was some contact when he first got the ball, but there didn't appear to be any contact while in the air. It didn't look to me like it was a factor.

Edited by LZIp

9 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Officials are trained to do this, as long as the play that is being continued occurs at the other end. Whether or not that should be changed is a different discussion, but as bad as the officials were today, they got that right, at least by the book.

I knew it was more serious than just a fall when, once play stopped, the police officers at the other end of the floor sprinted down to Sayles. 

That is 2 great games in a row for Cotten.  I am hoping that he continues his great play.  He is under control and playing point really well.  Not afraid to drive into the trees and draw a foul.  My only question is what happened to Utomi's game.  He had an open 3 ball and did not draw rim  He missed a one and one that started the BG ralley.  This is the second game where the Zips were called for more than 30 fouls.  I thought a lot were ticky tack fouls.  But at least the crowd gave the refs a hard time.  Great win for the Zips!!

This was supposed to be a very good game but the officials made it a very frustrating one to watch. I am not sure how the players/coaches could retain their cool after some of the dubious foul calls. 

Back to basketball, I can't wait to see how this team develops. Can you imagine the team with Cotton, Parrish, Patton, and Sayles being Juniors/Seniors? While this year may be a bit painful, the future is bright! I said it before and I will say it again: Sayles is the new Zeke, maybe even better. This guy is the real deal. (I am glad he seems to be ok after that nasty landing).

Finally, am I the only one who was warm and fuzzy seeing president Wilson give a bear hug to Cotton at the end of the game? I am glad we have a president who gets it!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

This was supposed to be a very good game but the officials made it a very frustrating one to watch. I am not sure how the players/coaches could retain their cool after some of the dubious foul calls. 

Back to basketball, I can't wait to see how this team develops. Can you imagine the team with Cotton, Parrish, Patton, and Sayles being Juniors/Seniors? While this year may be a bit painful, the future is bright! I said it before and I will say it again: Sayles is the new Zeke, maybe even better. This guy is the real deal. (I am glad he seems to be ok after that nasty landing).

Finally, am I the only one who was warm and fuzzy seeing president Wilson give a bear hug to Cotton at the end of the game? I am glad we have a president who gets it!

He also walked Sayles out to the bench towards the end of the game.  I think we have a winner.

• Like 2

You all prob tired of my two cents today, but I watched the replay and the ending a few times and listened closely to what Jackie had to say about all the referee shenanigans:

1. Looked like Sayles just came down awkwardly from the missed dunk and his feet came out from under him.  So relieved to see him upright, in uniform, and with only ice on his wrist. 

2.  Malcolm's last foul was for "displacing" or taking up Wiggins' space when he came down.  Apparently, that is a legit call as was KLac's last foul. However, KLac's 4th foul was totally bogus as was that offensive foul on Utomi at the end.   That was a total flop by Fry.  Jackie and Reghi were getting really frustrated with the constant whistles and at least on Utomi's last foul thought these weren't being called evenly. 

3.  Watching the red shirts and the "fouled out" players on the bench at the end showed that they are all in it for each other.

4.  The beginning of the Buffalo game just seemed to shock and stun the Zips and it just got in their head.  I'm thinking if the MAC Championship game were between Kent and Buffalo I would definitely be on the side of the team from Ravenna.

Jaden Sayles' mom is on twitter & around 7:30 simply tweeted "Way to go!!!" along with a retweet of Akron Zips MBB's tweet about the win today.  The fact she's happy about the win & doesn't seemed primarily concerned with Jaden is probably an extremely good sign.

I hope Jaden keeps taking it strong to the hole.  I love it.  I don't believe we've had a big attack the rim like this since Tree.

• Like 2

Not sure how many of you listened to Groce on the post-game show, but he talked about what he's trying to build here with the program. It was a great interview. He talked about the main focal points being hustle, toughness, etc., and those are non-negotiable. He said win or lose today, the answer would have been the same, that the guys fought really hard with a lot going against them and he would have been proud regardless of the result. The whole interview gave me incredible optimism for where the program is headed under Groce. Those are the qualities that teams who make runs in the tourney possess. 

The way the team reacted to the victory was awesome. The genuine smiles were a sight to see. This team is young and will grow closer with the adversity. Our future is bright. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lilroodude said:

BALL GAME! WE WON A GAME IN THE MAC!

Heck of a win. Everything went against us - officiating, injuries, size, etc. - and we still pulled out the W. That was impressive. Very fun to watch and the team seemed to enjoy it.

Happy team.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018-01-14_at_12_09.49_AM.png

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

Screen_Shot_2018-01-14_at_12_23.00_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2018-01-14_at_12_23.37_AM.png

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 8:34 AM, 1981 grad said:

I could also see some small ball with Utomi at center.  We did it at Toledo and it was effective.  Having Utomi at center opens up the lane since they have to respect his 3 point shooting.  We can also move the ball up the court faster.  On defense we can play zone.  Sayles and Klac have to be more offensive minded and move to the basket.  They need to post up, move well on a give and go and rebound, rebound and rebound.  Sometimes a sickness or  injury can bring a team together.  Go Zips!

Together.jpg

3 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Not sure how many of you listened to Groce on the post-game show, but he talked about what he's trying to build here with the program. It was a great interview. He talked about the main focal points being hustle, toughness, etc., and those are non-negotiable. He said win or lose today, the answer would have been the same, that the guys fought really hard with a lot going against them and he would have been proud regardless of the result. The whole interview gave me incredible optimism for where the program is headed under Groce. Those are the qualities that teams who make runs in the tourney possess. 

The way the team reacted to the victory was awesome. The genuine smiles were a sight to see. This team is young and will grow closer with the adversity. Our future is bright. 

Now maybe you all understand better why I choose to divide my time, passion and loyalty between two programs. Players are often willing to run through walls for Groce. They know he sincerely cares for them and that he is in the trenches fighting right along aside them.

Go Zips!!!

Cotton hug.jpg

Edited by Illini Zip

13 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Terrible officiating. Buddy Mayborg needs to retire or go back to calling highschool games

Mayborg has always hated the Zips.  

12 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Sayles is sitting watching the women's game with someone who could be his father, so concussion protocol doesn't seem to be in order.

The fact that he's watching the women's game would have nothing to do with whether he's in concussion protocol.