Game 8- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

BTW, according to Pro Football Focus Zach Gibson was the 2nd rated passer in CFB in FBS and Arth/Gasser benched him in the 1st Quarter.  Make sense??

This I actually understand. Irons, with his mobility, was sacked 12 times. I don’t know if Gibson would have survived, and I think that’s why he was pulled. 

• Like 2

Weren't there some strict recruiting "guidelines" placed on aCoach regarding character, grades, etc. in the wake of Bowden's firing? That may be affecting/limiting his use of the portal but yeah, there has to be some OL's, DL's etc. in there that could help us without representing the U. negatively.

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Weren't there some strict recruiting "guidelines" placed on aCoach regarding character, grades, etc. in the wake of Bowden's firing? That may be affecting/limiting his use of the portal but yeah, there has to be some OL's, DL's etc. in there that could help us without representing the U. negatively.

I believe self-imposed by aCoach

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

This is such a joke, lol. It has been circulated without any credible evidence. 

31 minutes ago, ComettoZip said:

What is a joke?  Not sure I understand, what is being stated?  Is this about the money that was given to players as loans when NCAA stipends where late?

Not about NCAA stipends. It is Arth not understanding that to increase the odds of a football team's success, especially at the G5 level, it is important to lure athletes who are not well-suited for college.

19 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

It is Arth not understanding that to increase the odds of a football team's success, especially at the G5 level, it is important to lure athletes who are not well-suited for college.

The real problem is hiring coaches who aren't capable of keeping at risk kids in check. The problem is Akron wants to believe it can run the football program like ND, a suburban league team or FSU. 

It's shocking we have had two coaches that worked at Notre Dame and a third hired by someone from ND. I think the importance of the private schools in and around Akron weight too heavily on the minds of decision makers. We need to hire a coach who sees the kids and school differently. This will allow that coach to bring in the kind of player who can be successful at Akron. 

JD was the closest Akron had to understanding kids suitable for a school like Akron because of his time at Pitt but he came from the wrong background to really connect. 

Later I'll elaborate on the kind of coach we need and why. The answer isn't another Catholic school coach. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GP1 said:

The real problem is hiring coaches who aren't capable of keeping at risk kids in check. The problem is Akron wants to believe it can run the football program like ND, a suburban league team or FSU. 

It's shocking we have had two coaches that worked at Notre Dame and a third hired by someone from ND. I think the importance of the private schools in and around Akron weight too heavily on the minds of decision makers. We need to hire a coach who sees the kids and school differently. This will allow that coach to bring in the kind of player who can be successful at Akron. 

JD was the closest Akron had to understanding kids suitable for a school like Akron because of his time at Pitt but he came from the wrong background to really connect. 

Later I'll elaborate on the kind of coach we need and why. The answer isn't another Catholic school coach. 

I don't know nothing about coaching a football team but it seems like Arths idealism was better fit for a small Catholic school than a struggling urban university 

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I don't know nothing about coaching a football team but it seems like Arths idealism was better fit for a small Catholic school than a struggling urban university 

His idealism isn't the problem. I've never met Tom but I bet he's a pretty good guy. He is a fit for a lot of places in some capacity, but not Akron. Who knows, maybe he would make a great assistant in the NFL. The problem is he was a bad hire by an idealist. We have to be more practical about who we hire. Hunter Yurachek and Mack R. were both practical guys and have had a lot of success since Akron. That's what we need. 

Guys like our previous AD want things to be one way.  It's usually the other way. 

Personally, I'd like to see the whole "first O & D teams" on the sidelines for this game. The coaches should make up squads from the players who have spent the longest time there. I doubt they can be anymore embarrassing than what we've seen. At least it would give the first stringers something to think about!  I'm dang tired of hearing the losses are because the players are young and inexperienced. What the hades have they been doing during practices? Knitting potholders? How long does it take an O lineman to learn that you hit someone and hold him up so a play can develop? How long does it take for a D lineman to learn that where the ball goes, there goest thou? Push, knock down, sidestep, stiff-arm anyone that gets in your way, at least take someone out of the play so a teammate can get to the ball. When the play ends, most of my defensive players better be in close vicinity of that ball on a running play; so close they could help the runner up! The ball is the brass ring, go for it! TEs would be blockers FIRST. You don't block, you don't get a pass, pretty boy. But, I'm just an old grandma. What do I know.

Edited by Football grandma
Wrong word

3 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

Personally, I'd like to see the whole "first O & D teams" on the sidelines for this game. The coaches should make up squads from the players who have spent the longest time there. I doubt they can be anymore embarrassing than what we've seen. At least it would give the first stringers something to think about!  I'm dang tired of hearing the losses are because the players are young and inexperienced. What the hades have they been doing during practices? Knitting potholders? How long does it take an O lineman to learn that you hit someone and hold him up so a play can develop? How long does it take for a D lineman to learn that where the ball goes, there goest thou? Push, knock down, sidestep, stiff-arm anyone that gets in your way, at least take someone out of the play so a teammate can get to the ball. When the play ends, most of my defensive players better be in close vicinity of that ball on a running play; so close they could help the runner up! The ball is the brass ring, go for it! TEs would be blockers FIRST. You don't block, you don't get a pass, pretty boy. But, I'm just an old grandma. What

Nice thought but most of the starters at their respective positions are the ones that have been there the longest.  Unfortunately, many are redshirt freshman.  I  guess we could put Kato and Fitschen on the OL since they have been there the longest.  Lol.

Zippyroo, I'm talking about the players that have had to stand on the sidelines since game 1 and watch this team be massacred or self-destruct week after week; 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. on the so called depth chart. The ones that maybe get to go out in special teams; you know, the placeholders the coaches really don't care about. Red shirt? Who cares! On game day, they all wear blue and gold! 

I know what you meant but punishing the current starters won't accomplish anything.  Do you honestly think these guys like losing?  They want nothing more than to win but not for you or me or anyone else.   They want to win for themselves.  I for one will continue to support whomever the coaches feel gives this team the best shot to succeed.  That's all we can do at this point. 

• Like 1

It's not punishment. It's "building a team," for next year, giving the "inexperienced" experience. This season is in the dumpster, in all reality. No, they don't like losing, so if others can do the job and put up a W, they should be satisfied. Do you think the guys on the sidelines like to be on a losing team for which they couldn't even get a chance to help or show what they could do? Maybe the sidelines players should wear a sign on their helmets reading, "Yes, my team lost again, but I didn't have anything to do with it." Personally, I don't think the coaches are very good at evaluating players or we wouldn't see "unknowns" get in and make plays or them playing the shell game with 3 QBs. The coaches' "best shot to succeed?" Obviously, they haven't fired it yet or they have pee poor aim.

4 hours ago, Football grandma said:

Personally, I'd like to see the whole "first O & D teams" on the sidelines for this game. The coaches should make up squads from the players who have spent the longest time there. I doubt they can be anymore embarrassing than what we've seen. At least it would give the first stringers something to think about!  I'm dang tired of hearing the losses are because the players are young and inexperienced. What the hades have they been doing during practices? Knitting potholders? How long does it take an O lineman to learn that you hit someone and hold him up so a play can develop? How long does it take for a D lineman to learn that where the ball goes, there goest thou? Push, knock down, sidestep, stiff-arm anyone that gets in your way, at least take someone out of the play so a teammate can get to the ball. When the play ends, most of my defensive players better be in close vicinity of that ball on a running play; so close they could help the runner up! The ball is the brass ring, go for it! TEs would be blockers FIRST. You don't block, you don't get a pass, pretty boy. But, I'm just an old grandma. What do I know.

Why do you keep saying what do you know?  Not much, go where the ball goes is pee wee, defensively everyone in the box has gap responsibility first, it’s why we have RPO’s in the first place.  Easy to destroy a non disciplined defense. That’s Run, Pass, option, handoff or keep by how the DE reacts, handoff or pass does the LB bite & hit the slant.  Everyone does it now.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but I am extremely frustrated with where we are.  I’m a local that has been involved in sports in Akron area for years.  I knew many players during the Bowden era from the area.  There isn’t much local talent on the team anymore.  

Not that anyone cares about me but even though I’m a 94 grad I never went to a game until local kids that I coached or coached against started playing there.  I started tailgating and bringing a lot of people cause locals had some interest because they knew some players and we were at least getting better & competing.  It was fun, currently it’s not much fun because we don’t have the locals & we don’t compete.

What happened to the local track ref guy that also use to give opinion on recruits from what he has scene on the track?  Is it cause we are not recruiting local?  I really thought that was why we hired him because of his NEO roots and coaches will respect him & he will be able to recruit the area.

Only thing he has done is recruit big o lineman from Ed’s & Iggy that no one else will offer.  Got one from Hoban that hopefully can contribute but he fell to us because of a junior year injury and no one else offered. 

I’m not defending Bowden as I have said he seem to be fine with just competing & not taking the next step but he seem to get portal talent to stay competitive, plus his college connections, we brought in some questionable characters but he seemed to manage & sprinkled some good local talent but did nothing  to market.  Was terrible social media guy.  Now we have a social media guy who can’t recruit or coach.  Can we please get a complete package coach and watch some good football with a few of the better local talent.  I’ve only been on board for about the last 10 years but I’m on the verge of moving on.  

Sorry for rant, just frustrating watching us play at this level

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Football grandma said:

Zippyroo, I'm talking about the players that have had to stand on the sidelines since game 1 and watch this team be massacred or self-destruct week after week; 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. on the so called depth chart. The ones that maybe get to go out in special teams; you know, the placeholders the coaches really don't care about. Red shirt? Who cares! On game day, they all wear blue and gold! 

You know how in basketball the guys sitting on the end of the bench don't tend to get in the game much. Well, my sister had a nephew who rode the pines at the end of the bench for the University of Texas. My sister suggested to him (on more than one occasion) that he move closer to the coach to increase the odds that he pick up some playing time. Thankfully he ignored her advice because he realized (like almost everyone who plays a sport) that playing time is earned in practice, not by how close your game day seat on the bench is to the coach. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the guys who aren't getting into the Zip football games should stand closer to the coach.

5 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Why do you keep saying what do you know?  Not much, go where the ball goes is pee wee, defensively everyone in the box has gap responsibility first, it’s why we have RPO’s in the first place.  Easy to destroy a non disciplined defense. That’s Run, Pass, option, handoff or keep by how the DE reacts, handoff or pass does the LB bite & hit the slant.  Everyone does it now.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but I am extremely frustrated with where we are.  I’m a local that has been involved in sports in Akron area for years.  I knew many players during the Bowden era from the area.  There isn’t much local talent on the team anymore.  

Not that anyone cares about me but even though I’m a 94 grad I never went to a game until local kids that I coached or coached against started playing there.  I started tailgating and bringing a lot of people cause locals had some interest because they knew some players and we were at least getting better & competing.  It was fun, currently it’s not much fun because we don’t have the locals & we don’t compete.

What happened to the local track ref guy that also use to give opinion on recruits from what he has scene on the track?  Is it cause we are not recruiting local?  I really thought that was why we hired him because of his NEO roots and coaches will respect him & he will be able to recruit the area.

Only thing he has done is recruit big o lineman from Ed’s & Iggy that no one else will offer.  Got one from Hoban that hopefully can contribute but he fell to us because of a junior year injury and no one else offered. 

I’m not defending Bowden as I have said he seem to be fine with just competing & not taking the next step but he seem to get portal talent to stay competitive, plus his college connections, we brought in some questionable characters but he seemed to manage & sprinkled some good local talent but did nothing  to market.  Was terrible social media guy.  Now we have a social media guy who can’t recruit or coach.  Can we please get a complete package coach and watch some good football with a few of the better local talent.  I’ve only been on board for about the last 10 years but I’m on the verge of moving on.  

Sorry for rant, just frustrating watching us play at this level

Regarding local interest - Assuming the season plays on as expected, in the 4 year stretch of November 15th 2017 through November 15th 2021, the Zips will have won exactly 1 home game against a non-FCS team in front of paying InfoCision fans (CMU 17-10 in 2018). 

Tough to draw a local crowd when you lose to your peer-programs, at home, 90+% of the time. We used to have tailgate parties of 10-16 people with regularity. It's typically me and my wife now-a-days...until about the 3rd quarter...then it's back up Route 8.

Every...single...week...the Zips are Marvis Frazier, and the opponent is Larry Holmes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

What happened to the local track ref guy that also use to give opinion on recruits from what he has scene on the track?  Is it cause we are not recruiting local?

Everyone ignored him because time spent talking to a track ref is time wasted by a D1 college football coach.

There isn't a fan base in the United States that doesn't think that recruiting more local talent will turn their program around. I hear the same thing here in South Carolina. Frequently it's the dying wish of a dying program.

I present to everyone the Wake Forest Roster.  On the entire team, there are only three kids from Winston-Salem. Very few are from what people call the Triad (W-S/High Point/Greensboro). If they tried to load their team up with a ton of kids from the Triad, they would be firmly located in last place of the Atlantic division instead of first place and ranked below 100 instead of 13th. I'm still not entirely sold on this team because of the putrid defense, but so far so good. I'll see tomorrow at 4 if they they lay an egg or not against Duke. The point is even a historically pathetic program like Wake can win with the right vision and players recruited to fit into the vision/culture. Dave Clawson would fail at almost every school in the country. An AD saw he had the perfect background for Wake, hired him and let him fulfill what was his vision. Clawson is an example of a leader who knew how to hire into a specific culture. It took a lot of balls to give Grobe the boot, but it worked out for the best. We need that kind of vision in an AD. Someone specifically suited for Akron is the key to success.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Regarding local interest - Assuming the season plays on as expected, in the 4 year stretch of November 15th 2017 through November 15th 2021, the Zips will have won exactly 1 home game against a non-FCS team in front of paying InfoCision fans (CMU 17-10 in 2018). 

Tough to draw a local crowd when you lose to your peer-programs, at home, 90+% of the time. We used to have tailgate parties of 10-16 people with regularity. It's typically me and my wife now-a-days...until about the 3rd quarter...then it's back up Route 8.

Every...single...week...the Zips are Marvis Frazier, and the opponent is Larry Holmes.

Your wife must be an angel.

• Haha 1

Ohio is generally a top 10 state for FBS level talent recruits.  As such, I'd like to see that base of talent utilized by the Zips.  I also think it would also help put some butts in the seats.  That being said, I'd rather have a 3 star kid from Timbuktu than a 2 star kid from a local school.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Ohio is generally a top 10 state for FBS level talent recruits.  As such, I'd like to see that base of talent utilized by the Zips.  I also think it would also help put some butts in the seats.  That being said, I'd rather have a 3 star kid from Timbuktu than a 2 star kid from a local school.

Clark just remember most of those stars are hyped up. Seen plenty of 2.3 and 4 stars that should be no stars. In my lifetime I have seen it all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Clark just remember most of those stars are hyped up. Seen plenty of 2.3 and 4 stars that should be no stars. In my lifetime I have seen it all.

Absolutely agree.  I have also seen kids that never got rated for one reason or another and turn out to be a beast.  That is why I never talk down about walk-ons since they often times have something to prove.

• Like 1

Couple things, i don’t think local talent is going to save program, I said it’s nice to have a few local kids sprinkled in there.  Gotta win games is the bottom line.  Wasn’t looking at a track guy for recruiting info but my point was local talent catches some of the attention of people we need to get to games, but speed wins games & we are lacking it & size.  Fun recruiting fact though, they look for multi sport athletes & track is # 1 second sport, a lot of times on your skilled positions they look at track times, they love FAT fully automatic times.  They don’t lie like coaches do