Congratulations Mr. Guthrie

GP1

We should tip our hats to our AD for executing on what looks be a good hire. Anyone who thinks Akron isn't a great coaching opportunity is nuts. If you aim high, you hit high. If you aim low, you hit low. Guthrie aimed high. 

Hiring a good coach just takes a little more imagination than Ianello and Arth. Good grief. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, GP1 said:

We should tip our hats to our AD for executing on what looks be a good hire. Anyone who thinks Akron isn't a great coaching opportunity is nuts. If you aim high, you hit high. If you aim low, you hit low. Guthrie aimed high. 

Hiring a good coach just takes a little more imagination than Ianello and Arth. Good grief. 

Brilliant.   The past was filled with lazy and apathetic hiring.  There are few more of those coaches at Akron.  They won't last long 

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Absolutely! The thought of AD Williams is so far in the rear view mirror. I was appalled reading quotes from some of the coaches that were under his leadership. Guthrie get’s an A+ for this one! It starts at the top and Guthrie hit a home run with the Moorhead hire.

Congrats and thanks to CG for getting this deal done. Given Coach Mo's goals at this particular juncture of being back within a few hours of Pittsburgh and wanting to rehab/re-hone his head coaching chops at the less intense G5 level, timing and good fortune seem to have smiled upon us. It could have been one of the other MAC East schools or maybe a Marshall, depending on who had an opening at the right time (now).  If TA had been given another year, this opportunity might have been missed.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

The thanks for this hiring goes to one person only.  He is the President of the University, Mr. Miller.  He is changing the face of the University in the midst of hard times.  Regarding the Athletic Department, Mr. Miller has provided the funds for the coaching salaries.  All AD's want to spend money, but if the money is not allocated in the budget, the opportunities do not exist.  So,

Congratulations and Thank you President Miller for making this coaching change possible.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigjim said:

The thanks for this hiring goes to one person only.  He is the President of the University, Mr. Miller.  He is changing the face of the University in the midst of hard times.  Regarding the Athletic Department, Mr. Miller has provided the funds for the coaching salaries.  All AD's want to spend money, but if the money is not allocated in the budget, the opportunities do not exist.  So,

Congratulations and Thank you President Miller for making this coaching change possible.  

In my 50 plus years as a Zips sports fan I have never seen the stars aligned so perfectly as they are now. We have a university president that the complete support of the board of trustees and is not afraid to make the bold decisions needed to reposition the university. We also have his hand picked AD who is cut from the same cloth.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

In my 50 plus years as a Zips sports fan I have never seen the stars aligned so perfectly as they are now. We have a university president that the complete support of the board of trustees and is not afraid to make the bold decisions needed to reposition the university. We also have his hand picked AD who is cut from the same cloth.

And in turn, the AD got the coach he wanted.  We didn't end up with the 6th name on the list. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Well...Proenza put the university on the upward track academically and physical plant-wise, and began the process of upgrading athletics.  Let's hope Miller can complete the deal -- and somehow we can re-establish all our de(p)leted academic programs!

Totally agree on Proenza- I loved all he did for UA and he embodied quality academics. Had he not pushed forward with the campus re-do, UA would have been merged into CSU or something (if you remember that was the plan at one point and then Lee Fisher visited UA and was like "huh, I thought this was just a community college..."

I hope this signals something special about President Miller!  It certainly has renewed my interest in UA!!

35 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Well...Proenza put the university on the upward track academically and physical plant-wise, and began the process of upgrading athletics.  Let's hope Miller can complete the deal -- and somehow we can re-establish all our de(p)leted academic programs!

Football largely determines a college's success now; it is the premier moneymaker. The University should take big strides all around during Moorhead's tenure and beyond. 

18 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Brilliant.   The past was filled with lazy and apathetic hiring.  There are few more of those coaches at Akron.  They won't last long 

Please now fire women's soccer coach Noreen Herlihy

in her 6th year, 3-15-1 record and 1-9-1 in MAC

Herlihy needs to go

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TennZip said:

Please now fire women's soccer coach Noreen Herlihy

in her 6th year, 3-15-1 record and 1-9-1 in MAC

Herlihy needs to go

Akron shouldn't be buying out contracts for non-revenue sports. Just let her go once her contract is up unless some alumni is willing to flip the bill.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:29 AM, ZippyRulz said:

Given Coach Mo's goals . . .

Uh oh,  Is that what you are going to call Moorhead?  That means there are two Coach Mo's in the MAC (the other is Maurice Linguist of Buffalo) and I will be cheering for both of them.  

On 12/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, Zips Win! said:

So how much credit really goes to Mr. Leaf Filter for underwriting our great coaching hire experience?

Did he?  If so, it's awesome. Wealthy graduates do things like this at big schools. 

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron shouldn't be buying out contracts for non-revenue sports. Just let her go once her contract is up unless some alumni is willing to flip the bill.

when is Herlihy's contract up?   When did Williams give her a new contract?

has been a long time since they have had winning season

3-5-1 in covid season

8-10-2 in 2019

8-10-2 in 2018

admittedly, those were improvements over 2-13-4 in 2017

that was herlihy's 3rd year.....so she should have been canned after 2017

Herlihy made $77,250 in 2017

$79,568 in 2018

$81,953 in 2019

based on the results above, the Larry and George athletic department should not have given her a big raise

Big difference between div. 2 soccer at Slippery Rock.....and div. 1 soccer at Akron.

and she has achieved those results....with the best soccer facilities in the MAC

21 minutes ago, TennZip said:

3-5-1 in covid season

8-10-2 in 2019

8-10-2 in 2018

$79,568 in 2018

$81,953 in 2019

based on the results above, the Larry and George athletic department should not have given her a big raise

Big difference between div. 2 soccer at Slippery Rock.....and div. 1 soccer at Akron.

and she has achieved those results....with the best soccer facilities in the MAC

She still lives in Slippery Rock. Allegedly makes the commute every day. Or not.

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

3-5-1 in covid season

8-10-2 in 2019

8-10-2 in 2018

$79,568 in 2018

$81,953 in 2019

No idea how many years, if any, are left on her contract. 

On 12/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, kreed5120 said:

No idea how many years, if any, are left on her contract. 

Expires Nov 30, 2022. 

Extended in Feb 2021 after 7 years of so-so results. Typical Larry Williams mismanagement of UA Ath Dept. 

Thank goodness it was only a 1-year extension. 

Of course, one would think if you had a year left on your contract you would be out recruiting the local talent. From what I’ve heard, Noreen seems to have no interest in checking out the talent in Akron... probably too far to commute. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Expires Nov 30, 2022. 

Extended in 2020 after 6 years of so-so results. Typical Larry Williams mismanagement of UA Ath Dept. 

it is an embarrassment that Larry Williams allowed Noreen Herlihy to never move to Akron.    She has never had a winning record.

2-13-4 in 2017

3-15-1 in 2021

Can she do worse in 2022 ?.....before Mr. Guthrie does not renew her contract

I am very happy now to have professionals like Charles Guthrie and Markus Jennings involved in the athletic department.