PCCC- 2/11 at 7 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

1 minute ago, LZIp said:

What the hell?? Love the Rowdies, but If you think they are the "rowdiest" student section in the nation, you must not watch much college bball. A student section showing up and making noise and saying crap isn't "instigating". If it is, many sections across the country are instigators, but the Kent pansies are the only opposing team that can't handle it.

The whole team getting in their face and taunting immediately after the buzzer sounds is bullshit. It could've potentially lead to physical altercations between fans and players which isn't a good look for anyone. I'm not crying about it as it makes the rivalry what it is, but just another example of the lack of class that program/university has, and there's nothing wrong with calling it out when it happens. If Akron players did that I honestly would be embarrassed.

I'm out of likes but this is well said. Voice of reason as always @LZIp.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm out of likes but this is well said. Voice of reason as always @LZIp.

I hate to say it but the Zips players also showed some less than exemplary behavior on the court.  Ali made a 3 in front of the Kent bench and started talking to the bench.  I saw some gesturing from Trimble after a few made baskets and saw him give a forearm to a Kent player and get called for an offensive foul.  It was a dumb foul because the refs had just told him and a Kent player to cool it.  It was down the stretch when we could not score and the game was tied. 

I will chalk it up to youthful exuberance and I think the college players are just mirroring what we see in the pros.  Does anyone remember when a football player scored and gave the ball to the ref after he scored?  My only concern with Kent getting in the face of the Rowdies is that LZIP is correct in that there is a risk of  physical violence that cannot be tolerated.

52 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I hate to say it but the Zips players also showed some less than exemplary behavior on the court.  Ali made a 3 in front of the Kent bench and started talking to the bench.  I saw some gesturing from Trimble after a few made baskets and saw him give a forearm to a Kent player and get called for an offensive foul.  It was a dumb foul because the refs had just told him and a Kent player to cool it.  It was down the stretch when we could not score and the game was tied. 

I will chalk it up to youthful exuberance and I think the college players are just mirroring what we see in the pros.  Does anyone remember when a football player scored and gave the ball to the ref after he scored?  My only concern with Kent getting in the face of the Rowdies is that LZIP is correct in that there is a risk of  physical violence that cannot be tolerated.

The foul is stupid, but this is the stuff I'm ok with. Get chippy. Get under their skin. Take your little shots - just don't cross the line. This is keeping the rivalry on the court. 

• Like 2

I’d say I’d love to see Akron do that after winning at Kent, but:

1. Kent has no fans at games anymore that they would do this to

2. The only students at Kent games anymore are the band, which might be the worst in America

Why would anyone be surprised at what happened? That program had a 5 year player punch a teammate last year. Sendy is a good recruiter and nothing more. Hell, he didn’t even recruit Carry! Again, the loss hurts, but it’s cute to see Kent do that, just like it was cute to see their .500 football team parade the Wagon Wheel around infocision after beating the D3 assistant coach of the year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I love all this stuff. These teams don’t like each other. These schools don’t like each other. These fan bases don’t like each other. I want both teams talking sh!t and playing rough. Not throwing punches like Singletary, but tip-toeing into dirty is fine by meThe Rowdies we’re AWESOME last night & then the KSUcks players let them know they just beat us at the end. The KSUcks players earned the right to do that & the Rowdies were forced to take it. That’s what makes epic rivalries.

Let’s stop being church ladies (not you specifically @1981 grad, just everyone in general) This all adds to the fun and memories. Those AK Rowdies will never forget that and because of it will hate KSUcks and bleed blue & gold for the test of their lives.

I’ve LOVED the Rowdies this season and the student turnout last night was phenomenal.  Makes me VERY hopeful for future seasons.: we’re growing something. Toward the end of the game when Insincere was shooting two free throws (both of which he made, to his credit) I could hardly hear myself think!  Outside of Cameron Indoor, that is the toughest student-led atmosphere you could hope for.

Loved everything about it.

Edited by Blue & Gold
Typo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Another thing that pains me greatly to say. Carry is a killer. We'd be tops on the MAC if we had a Carry

When he bailed on KD it was just about a done deal for him to come to Akron. Then Pinky got a phone call one day from him asking if he could play at Kent so he could be with his high school sweetheart on the women’s team. Then he committed to Kent and UA called up KD and said what gives? KD was shocked. 

Yet another example of Pinky lucking into success. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

When he bailed on KD it was just about a done deal for him to come to Akron. Then Pinky got a phone call one day from him asking if he could play at Kent so he could be with his high school sweetheart on the women’s team. Then he committed to Kent and UA called up KD and said what gives? KD was shocked. 

He fits their program better. He left Duquesne cause he's a head case. I can't wait for the day when he doesn't shoot 90% from the field. Akron gets in his head so easily, he'll have a meltdown.

There was a moment last night where Groce told him to calm down after 1 or 2 things didn't go his way. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He fits their program better. He left Duquesne cause he's a head case. I can't wait for the day when he doesn't shoot 90% from the field. Akron gets in his head so easily, he'll have a meltdown.

There was a moment last night where Groce told him to calm down after 1 or 2 things didn't go his way. 

Yeah, the dude is messed up in the head for sure. I have some close Solon friends who are not big fans of him. But as of right now, he’s the winner. And he’s brought back a lot of the good things about this rivalry. 

Still putting all of my stock in Groce and Akron over Kent and Pinky this year and in the future. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

tenor-100777344.gif.2ffa76925ce17d70fec3c428feb0e150.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yeah, the dude is messed up in the head for sure. I have some close Solon friends who are not big fans of him. But as of right now, he’s the winner. And he’s brought back a lot of the good things about this rivalry. 

Still putting all of my stock in Groce and Akron over Kent and Pinky this year and in the future. 

Absolutely. We are a guard away from being the best team in the MAC. We have 2 more years of Freeman, 3(?) more years of Aziz, 3 more years of Kalle, etc. This program is in a much better position. 

• Like 1

I think the guard that would make the difference has to be a ball dominant scorer, the guy that gets the ball in a pinch when you need a basket.  A Rollins, Sears, Norman or gulp, Carry type.  Clarke will be a nice piece and a good point guard but I don't see him ever being that kind of guy. 

As I have said many times before, the Zips just don't have that "go to" guy.  They don't have anyone in the top 14 in MAC scoring.  Freeman is great but he's a big in a guard's league and not the type of offensive star the Zips need.  The Zips across the board talent is fine with a bunch of nice above average players but they need that "go to" guy to get them over the top.

19 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I think he was hurt early on, at least I think I read that here. He's seemed to look better the past little stretch, I think he has a lot of the tools, just needs some confidence. Kinda like Ali last year, but obviously a different set of tools

I do hope you're right zippy5.  I just don't see it.

I was at the game last night and it was SO much fun!! The atmosphere was amazing! I won't touch on the Rowdies much as most have already said what I would say, but I loved them last night. They really got into it. And since Akron lost sadly, I personally feel the Kent players had every right to throw it back in their face at the end. Keep this rivalry heated, I say.

Anyways, one thing of concern I saw was the amount of 3's the team took. I got a feeling it was "live by the 3, die by the 3" last night. Also, the last play of the game should have been drawn up better. Maybe it was actually, I don't know if it was a busted play or so, but I feel like they had plenty of time (20 secs, I think?) to try something a bit more strategic. 

All in all, great game! I'm ready for Cleveland in a few weeks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Also, the last play of the game should have been drawn up better. Maybe it was actually, I don't know if it was a busted play or so, but I feel like they had plenty of time (20 secs, I think?) to try something a bit more strategic. 

We were out of time outs so Groce had to let the guys have at it. He probably called a play from the sideline, Idk.  But in the postgame interview he said it was a 2-man play w/ X & Ali.  Ali set the pick for X & then floated out to the wing.  Groce said X could have passed to Ali but chose to take the shot himself.  In looking at the replay it looked like Santiago may have been in the passing lane to Ali, so it may have forced X into a very difficult... let's just say it... bad shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

I was at the game last night and it was SO much fun!! The atmosphere was amazing! I won't touch on the Rowdies much as most have already said what I would say, but I loved them last night. They really got into it. And since Akron lost sadly, I personally feel the Kent players had every right to throw it back in their face at the end. Keep this rivalry heated, I say.

Anyways, one thing of concern I saw was the amount of 3's the team took. I got a feeling it was "live by the 3, die by the 3" last night. Also, the last play of the game should have been drawn up better. Maybe it was actually, I don't know if it was a busted play or so, but I feel like they had plenty of time (20 secs, I think?) to try something a bit more strategic. 

All in all, great game! I'm ready for Cleveland in a few weeks!

Interesting. I didn't think we took many 3s at all. The second half was fueled by going down low. 

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

We were out of time outs so Groce had to let the guys have at it. He probably called a play from the sideline, Idk.  But in the postgame interview he said it was a 2-man play w/ X & Ali.  Ali set the pick for X & then floated out to the wing.  Groce said X could have passed to Ali but chose to take the shot himself.  In looking at the replay it looked like Santiago may have been in the passing lane to Ali, so it may have forced X into a very difficult... let's just say it... bad shot.

I watched the replay and in hindsight he should have passed the ball to Ali since X had drawn the double team.  He actually beat 2 guys but the 3rd Kent player forced him into a tough shot.  Ali could have done a better job of moving without the ball and would have had a wide open 3.  However, this is all hindsight.  For the last shot I would want the ball in X hands.  Kent played good defense.  

• Like 3