Portal Offers

On 12/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, LoyalZIP said:

Iowa State EDGE. 3 years left.

Iowa State also has a S & CB in the portal.  I can't imagine how difficult it is for our staff to evaluate, offer and sign a transfer.  We probably need to rely on previous connections from HS recriuting or friendly network connections.  The time line is so much shorter than HS recriuting.

29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Iowa State also has a S & CB in the portal.  I can't imagine how difficult it is for our staff to evaluate, offer and sign a transfer.  We probably need to rely on previous connections from HS recriuting or friendly network connections.  The time line is so much shorter than HS recriuting.

💯💯💯

This is what really separates a coach like JoMo vs Arth. Coach has tons of connections at the FBS level and has recruited many of these P5 portal players either as an OC or HC. 

Arth on the other hand had limited connections and was coming from a place where he recruited at the DIII or FCS level. 

The portal game is sooooo important in today's game. No connections lead to blind or limited evaluations

/Offers. 

Yet another reason I'm confident in this staff. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gozips19 said:

💯💯💯

This is what really separates a coach like JoMo vs Arth. Coach has tons of connections at the FBS level and has recruited many of these P5 portal players either as an OC or HC. 

Arth on the other hand had limited connections and was coming from a place where he recruited at the DIII or FCS level. 

The portal game is sooooo important in today's game. No connections lead to blind or limited evaluations

/Offers. 

Yet another reason I'm confident in this staff. 

Exactly the reason why, when JoeMo was assembling his staff earlier this year, I put together a chart tracking the previous stops of each coach. The amount of P5 experience is unreal and a true asset. It's not just "Oh look, JoeMo coached Saquon Barkley," or "Our RB coach produced the #1 RB in the nation at UCONN."

It's "Remember how JoeMo coached Saquon Barkley? Yeah well the connections he made while recruiting/coaching that stud led to (insert name of current stud player) coming to Akron."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Exactly the reason why, when JoeMo was assembling his staff earlier this year, I put together a chart tracking the previous stops of each coach. The amount of P5 experience is unreal and a true asset. It's not just "Oh look, JoeMo coached Saquon Barkley," or "Our RB coach produced the #1 RB in the nation at UCONN."

It's "Remember how JoeMo coached Saquon Barkley? Yeah well the connections he made while recruiting/coaching that stud led to (insert name of current stud player) coming to Akron."

A lot of the new contributors in 2022 were a direct result of connections with Joe & others on staff. He recruited Whigan and Daniel George at Penn State, recruited AA at MSU, hell he even recruited DJI while he was at MSU. Obviously he was already on the roster, but had he been somewhere else and been available, he already had the seed planted. I'm happy with the HS class that was assembled, but the portal class will be the big difference maker. I have high hopes, which is always scary when you're an Akron fan.

In 2022 off the top of my head, big time portal contributors were Cam Wiley, Clyde Price, Anthony Whigan, Max Banes, Daniel George, Shocky Jaques-Louis, Alex Adams, Cam Threatt, Nate Thompson, Tim Terry, Victor Jones, Ravontae Holt, Devonte Golden-Nelson. Still plenty more I didn't even mention. It's both amazing that coach could land this talent and amazing that they lost nearly every single close game. This team really should have gone bowling, and I expect them to in 2023. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

A lot of the new contributors in 2022 were a direct result of connections with Joe & others on staff. He recruited Whigan and Daniel George at Penn State, recruited AA at MSU, hell he even recruited DJI while he was at MSU. Obviously he was already on the roster, but had he been somewhere else and been available, he already had the seed planted. I'm happy with the HS class that was assembled, but the portal class will be the big difference maker. I have high hopes, which is always scary when you're an Akron fan.

In 2022 off the top of my head, big time portal contributors were Cam Wiley, Clyde Price, Anthony Whigan, Max Banes, Daniel George, Shocky Jaques-Louis, Alex Adams, Cam Threatt, Nate Thompson, Tim Terry, Victor Jones, Ravontae Holt, Devonte Golden-Nelson. Still plenty more I didn't even mention. It's both amazing that coach could land this talent and amazing that they lost nearly every single close game. This team really should have gone bowling, and I expect them to in 2023. 

Bingo, and we're already seeing potentially the next leap forward for this staff in recruiting the portal by landing former 5 star RB Linguard. 

Quite frankly, the portal hasn't had a whole lot of movement in general. The amount of fish left in the pond going into the second signing period is abundant and growing. Looking forward to some big adds going forward. Wouldn't be surprised if 60-70% of our All 22 comes from P5.

20 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Bingo, and we're already seeing potentially the next leap forward for this staff in recruiting the portal by landing former 5 star RB Linguard. 

Quite frankly, the portal hasn't had a whole lot of movement in general. The amount of fish left in the pond going into the second signing period is abundant and growing. Looking forward to some big adds going forward. Wouldn't be surprised if 60-70% of our All 22 comes from P5.

Agree, we are going to land some difference makers. I went back and looked at the commitment timeline (not signing) from last year’s class and it went like this:

December:

Robinson, Wiley, Threatt, Martin, Harper

January:

Banks, Jennings, Kellom, Terry, Jacques-Louis, Banes, Jones, Adams, Murphy, Gettman, Golden, T. Williams, Landers, K. Davis, McCoy, Darnell

February:

Hale-Frater, Stallworth 

March:

N/A

April:

Price, Thompson, Whigan, Clark, George

May:

Griffin, Holt, Undercuffler, Woods, Golden-Nelson, Anderson

June:

Fish, Thomas

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Interesting prospect here. 6'5" DE from Va Tech. Also an All American Wrestler. We don't have wrestling. I wonder if that hurts our odds. 

He’d be a solid pickup. Legitimate 3 star DE coming out of high school. For whatever reason he wasn’t favored by VT’s new coaching staff. 3 years of eligibility remaining with a nice upside? I’m a fan.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, catdaddyp said:

Agree, we are going to land some difference makers. I went back and looked at the commitment timeline (not signing) from last year’s class and it went like this:

December:

Robinson, Wiley, Threatt, Martin, Harper

January:

Banks, Jennings, Kellom, Terry, Jacques-Louis, Banes, Jones, Adams, Murphy, Gettman, Golden, T. Williams, Landers, K. Davis, McCoy, Darnell

February:

Hale-Frater, Stallworth 

March:

N/A

April:

Price, Thompson, Whigan, Clark, George

May:

Griffin, Holt, Undercuffler, Woods, Golden-Nelson, Anderson

June:

Fish, Thomas

Last time almost 50% of of our portal signings came in January.

If that's going to happen again the Zips have a boatload of signings to obtain in the next three weeks.

I'm skeptical; your thoughts?

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Last time almost 50% of of our portal signings came in January.

If that's going to happen again the Zips have a boatload of signings to obtain in the next three weeks.

I'm skeptical; your thoughts?

I agree. I doubt we see that kind of heavy activity again, but I’m sure we’ll see some more signings and defections. 

What is most surprising to me is the lack of productive Zips players that have hit the portal. Nearly every team has lost at least one key player.

So far, our biggest losses have probably been Max Tucker and Lester Miller who aren’t portal related. I thought both guys were underrated high school recruits and it seems Boston College agreed on Tucker. Remains to be seen with Miller.