Class of 2024 offers

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not sure where we're putting Portal interest yet but...

From the Bahamas (Sammy seems to love it here so we've got that going for us).

Averaged 17ppg, ~6rpg, and ~3.5apg

I had never heard of this school but they played a tough schedule. He scored 23 versus Duke.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

From the Bahamas (Sammy seems to love it here so we've got that going for us).

Averaged 17ppg, ~6rpg, and ~3.5apg

I had never heard of this school but they played a tough schedule. He scored 23 versus Duke.

I believe they recently transitioned to D1. Within the last year or two.

• Thanks 1

We definitely need to add scoring. We averaged 74 ppg as a team this year and the seniors accounted for 48 ppg. 

We have two open scholarships pre-portal. Lyles and T. Johnson would be the two I'd consider possibilities to leave (although I think Tavari stays).

Our top target is probably a guard who can create offense. I don't think Groce goes into next season with Tavari as his primary PG. Next priority should be a big.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Will he play right away next year?

Just anecdotal but (as far as I remember) I've only ever seen two Zips TRUE FRESHMAN point guards really make legitimate impacts: Jimmal Ball & Noah Robotham.  

So I'm tempering my enthusiasm for a true frosh PG.  But I'm excited to see him play & stoked he's a Zip.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just anecdotal but (as far as I remember) I've only ever seen two Zips TRUE FRESHMAN point guards really make legitimate impacts: Jimmal Ball & Noah Robotham.  

So I'm tempering my enthusiasm for a true frosh PG.  But I'm excited to see him play & stoked he's a Zip.

Were any of Greg Tribble, Alex Abreu, Antino Jackson, Josh Williams, or Virshon Cotton true freshmen? I honestly can't remember. 

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Antino Jackson made a legitimate impact at the end of the 2014-2015 season.  That is when the winner of the Mac got a double buy and it was Buffalo coached by Bobby Hurley.  Antino Jackson started the last 10 games and played really well at the end of the season and we won Monday at the Jar, Wed at Cleveland and Thursday at Clev against Kent.  And then Hurley did something smart, he pressured Jackson full court knowing this was our 4th game in 5 days and he shot 1 of 10 and we lost by 12.  We just ran out of gas.  I remember that game and thought KD should have had somebody else bring up the ball to save Antino's energy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Antino Jackson made a legitimate impact at the end of the 2014-2015 season.  That is when the winner of the Mac got a double buy and it was Buffalo coached by Bobby Hurley.  Antino Jackson started the last 10 games and played really well at the end of the season and we won Monday at the Jar, Wed at Cleveland and Thursday at Clev against Kent.  And then Hurley did something smart, he pressured Jackson full court knowing this was our 4th game in 5 days and he shot 1 of 10 and we lost by 12.  We just ran out of gas.  I remember that game and thought KD should have had somebody else bring up the ball to save Antino's energy.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.  Robotham hurt his knee his freshman year, right? Then Antino, also a freshman, stepped up?

I just remember watching Robotham for the first time and was amazed he was only a true freshman.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Groce's son has Akron as a potential landing spot for his college career. Dartmouth is another D1 offer. Also offered by Wooster, John Carrol, Mount Union, and Baldwin Wallace

I was wondering when we’d hear something about him. I wonder if Groce would give his son more playing time than Tom Izzo gave his son.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.  Robotham hurt his knee his freshman year, right? Then Antino, also a freshman, stepped up?

I just remember watching Robotham for the first time and was amazed he was only a true freshman.

He may have been the most mature freshman I have seen.

19 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Groce's son has Akron as a potential landing spot for his college career. Dartmouth is another D1 offer. Also offered by Wooster, John Carrol, Mount Union, and Baldwin Wallace

Seems like a great kid and a fine basketball player but if he actually wants to play in college he would be much better served to go to one of those last 4 programs listed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

While we are waiting to see who else Coach Groce adds to the roster here is a game video of incoming forward, Richard Brisco. He is #13 in white and plays most of the first half and only the first 3 minutes of the second half.

He has redshirt written all over him. He reminds me of Ali Ali. Very raw but you can tell he "gets it". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He has redshirt written all over him. He reminds me of Ali Ali. Very raw but you can tell he "gets it". 

Ali Ali actually played meaningful minutes as a true freshman on the 2019-2020 MAC regular season title team. He even started 11 games. I'm not going to pretend to be an evaluator of talent, but if Groce thinks he can add something to this depleted roster, he'll play.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Ali Ali actually played meaningful minutes as a true freshman on the 2019-2020 MAC regular season title team. He even started 11 games. I'm not going to pretend to be an evaluator of talent, but if Groce thinks he can add something to this depleted roster, he'll play.

Ali Ali would've benefitted from a redshirt, though. He played in 31 games, averaged 11 minutes per game, and 1.1 ppg. He was extremely raw but Groce played him because his height and length created matchup problems for other teams. His movements his freshman year were similar to what I saw in Brisco's film - not as smooth/refined. Ali Ali was still growing into his body IIRC. Brisco might be as well?

I'm not saying Brisco couldn't help this team immediately as a freshman. I just saw that video and thought a redshirt year might benefit him and us more. He's a similar size to Baker and I think Baker might be more smooth/refined from what I remember of his high school tape (and he took a redshirt). 

10 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Ali Ali would've benefitted from a redshirt, though. He played in 31 games, averaged 11 minutes per game, and 1.1 ppg. He was extremely raw but Groce played him because his height and length created matchup problems for other teams. His movements his freshman year were similar to what I saw in Brisco's film - not as smooth/refined. Ali Ali was still growing into his body IIRC. Brisco might be as well?

I'm not saying Brisco couldn't help this team immediately as a freshman. I just saw that video and thought a redshirt year might benefit him and us more. He's a similar size to Baker and I think Baker might be more smooth/refined from what I remember of his high school tape (and he took a redshirt). 

I don't know if he can or can't help us. If he can, there is no point in redshirting. With how much the transfer portal has exploded, there is no promise of a tomorrow. Unless there is someone I'm missing, only Freeman and Tribble came to Akron as Freshman and graduated as seniors without a transfer in-between during Groce's tenure. The days of guys staying at 1 school for 5 years just isn't as common as it used to be.

Also, Ali wasn't hurt by not having a redshirt year. He got an extra year of eligibility regardless from covid. He provided the team defense and versatility. He wasn't asked to nor did we need him to score. That team was probably our most loaded team offensively between LCJ, Cheese, Banks, and Xeyrius.

On 4/12/2024 at 12:30 AM, kreed5120 said:

I don't know if he can or can't help us. If he can, there is no point in redshirting. With how much the transfer portal has exploded, there is no promise of a tomorrow. Unless there is someone I'm missing, only Freeman and Tribble came to Akron as Freshman and graduated as seniors without a transfer in-between during Groce's tenure. The days of guys staying at 1 school for 5 years just isn't as common as it used to be.

Also, Ali wasn't hurt by not having a redshirt year. He got an extra year of eligibility regardless from covid. He provided the team defense and versatility. He wasn't asked to nor did we need him to score. That team was probably our most loaded team offensively between LCJ, Cheese, Banks, and Xeyrius.

If I'm not mistaken Freeman was also a 'transfer' albeit academic ... pretty sure he came from Tiffin first.

• Confused 1