Class of 2024 offers

• 2 weeks later...

Of our 3 commits, two (Young & Brisco) were very highly recruited, while we were Eric Mahaffey's only D1 offer. So I'm still scratching my head on that one.  If you are too, you can see Mr. Mahaffey in action at STVM on Saturday, December 9th at 2:00 p.m.  I'm planning on going to see if I can see what Coach Groce saw that apparently no one else did.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone wants to see current Cincinnati Moeller & future Zips G Eric Mahaffey he's in town playing w/ Moeller vs. STVM today at 1:45.  

I'm planning on going to see if I can see what Groce thought he saw that no other coach saw.  

We were Mahaffey's lone offer.

I don't like that.

I'm still disappointed we lost out to Fiami on Brecksville PG Luke Skaljac and to KSUcks on Hoban 2G Jonas Nichols.  Those are the types of area players we need to keep home if we want to keep this thing rolling.  It's still concerning to me that neither of the areas 2 best players chose the Zips.  If they had chosen Duke or UNC that'd be one thing, but losing out on both to other MAC schools?  Disappointing.

Especially Jonas Nichols. He's a silky smooth natural born scorer who wants to tear your mouth out every time he steps on the court.  What on God's green earth did he see in KSUcks that would lead to that decision? 😡

Anyway, Eric Mahaffey will be playing at STVM at 1:45.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

If anyone wants to see current Cincinnati Moeller & future Zips G Eric Mahaffey he's in town playing w/ Moeller vs. STVM today at 1:45.  

I'm planning on going to see if I can see what Groce thought he saw that no other coach saw.  

We were Mahaffey's lone offer.

I don't like that.

I'm still disappointed we lost out to Fiami on Brecksville PG Luke Skaljac and to KSUcks on Hoban 2G Jonas Nichols.  Those are the types of area players we need to keep home if we want to keep this thing rolling.  It's still concerning to me that neither of the areas 2 best players chose the Zips.  If they had chosen Duke or UNC that'd be one thing, but losing out on both to other MAC schools?  Disappointing.

Especially Jonas Nichols. He's a silky smooth natural born scorer who wants to tear your mouth out every time he steps on the court.  What on God's green earth did he see in KSUcks that would lead to that decision? 😡

Anyway, Eric Mahaffey will be playing at STVM at 1:45.

I look forward to your report on Mahaffey. Good question, what does Groce see that others didn’t. 

23 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I look forward to your report on Mahaffey. Good question, what does Groce see that others didn’t. 

Here is Eric's stat sheet from last year. It's not terribly impressive. He's not much of a scorer.  

Averages of 3.8 PPG, 2.4 RPG, and 1 assist/game.

I'm really hoping I don't see a tentative player.  Maybe he took an absolutely galactic leap over the summer?  I'd better see a confident alpha on the court.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Blue & Gold

38 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here is Eric's stat sheet from last year. It's not terribly impressive. He's not much of a scorer.  

I'm really hoping I don't see a tentative player.  Maybe he took an absolutely galactic leap over the summer?  I'd better see a confident alpha on the court.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Thanks. Yep, let’s hope he’s a late bloomer with a high ceiling and intangibles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Those stats..sheesh. Hopefully just a late bloomer/raw. Not like we’d expect much out of him next year anyways.

Entertaining first half. 2 good high school teams.

Eric looks good. He’s the best player and athlete on the floor. He’s “only” 6’3” but he’s long & has really nice shoulders for a high school kid. He’s aggressive enough but not a ball hog. He’s got a nice, smooth shot & is currently 1-of-2 from 3-point range. He’s got two GREAT, aggressive drives to the hoop for scores and one put back. So I guess that gives him 9 1st half points. He can handle the ball pretty well with both hands & should probably have 2 more baskets if his teammates would have delivered not so poor of passes as he was cutting to the basket.

• Like 1

Only 3 4Q points for Eric but did have the and-1 at the end of the game to seal the W for Moeller, 55-51 (IIRC - they reset the scoreboard as soon as the game was over).

Eric was named game MVP.

I do wish maybe he’d be a little more forceful in calling for the ball, but he looks like the proverbial “coaches dream,” as you can tell he’s a super nice kid, really encouraged his teammates, & really looks to pass the ball. Appeared to always play w/in the system. 

He must’ve really blossomed this past summer b/c I’m surprised he only averaged <4 PPG last year. He looks very comfortable on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/9/2023 at 2:10 PM, Blue &amp; Gold said:

Only 3 4Q points for Eric but did have the and-1 at the end of the game to seal the W for Moeller, 55-51 (IIRC - they reset the scoreboard as soon as the game was over).

Eric was named game MVP.

I do wish maybe he’d be a little more forceful in calling for the ball, but he looks like the proverbial “coaches dream,” as you can tell he’s a super nice kid, really encouraged his teammates, & really looks to pass the ball. Appeared to always play w/in the system. 

He must’ve really blossomed this past summer b/c I’m surprised he only averaged <4 PPG last year. He looks very comfortable on the floor.

Does his playing style remind you of any other Zip player?

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Does his playing style remind you of any other Zip player?

Good question, @Illini Zip.  Tough to say. Not really.  He's built like a shorter Ali Ali, but he didn't post up back to the basket or shoot midrange at all.  He's got a more natural outside shot than Nate Johnson.  But I'm gonna say he's kinda like Nate in that he's going to have to develop just a little bit more confidence & then he's got the potential to be very good.  But in the game I saw he didn't shoot midrange like Nate.  More like Dawson in that it's either at the rim or from 3.  He did cut to the basket a couple of times but the passes he received weren't very good - I would have liked to have seen what he could do had he gotten some decent passes.  He never shot a 3 coming off a screen but I could definitely envision him doing so as he's got a very smooth stroke.

He's a really good ball handler & he looks taller than 6'3" but the Moeller roster lists him at 6'3" so I'll trust them.

• Like 1