2022-23 Akron Football Off-season Tracker

Let'sGoZips94

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Pretty decent signee out of HS that never foudn a way to get in the field. Don’t recall if injuries were an issue in his first two years or not, but don’t believe they were this year.

Before the popularity of the transfer portal, many guys like Lawson and Fann would finally have the light go on and breakout in their final year or two. Don’t see that much anymore as players (and coaches) aren’t as patient. 

Now we need a DL coach in place to ramp up the potential at DE. There are still some options at JUCO that I’m surprised we haven’t offered. I’m not entirely sure about the portal as there have been so many entries.

Edited by catdaddyp

3 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Before the popularity of the transfer portal, many guys like Lawson and Fann would finally have the light go on and breakout in their final year or two. Don’t see that much anymore as players (and coaches) aren’t as patient. 

Now we need a DL coach in place to ramp up the potential at DE. There are still some options at JUCO that I’m surprised we haven’t offered. I’m not entirely sure about the portal as there have been so many entries.

Agreed. Lawson is a guy that projected to be a good speed rusher but never put on much weight. Maybe by his Sr year he could be that guy. I'm guessing he was just too slow to play OLB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Amankwaa committed to Rutgers.

It seems we finally have someone exit our program who had talent. I hate to see him go and I wish he had given Joe a chance last fall. He could have been one of the foundational blocks our secondary was built on. While he was in the program at one time it also seems like we didn't lose a player because he sat out last fall. Still I hate to get him on campus and then lose him. Best of luck with the Scarlett Knights. I believe Schiano will rebuild that team into a respectable program. Go win a position young man!

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Caught wind of this a couple weeks ago but was surprised to see nothing of it on Twitter…til now. Big loss. 

Agreed. Figured it was only a matter of time for him. JoeMo gave him a lot of credit for identifying players in the 2022 class before the staff was filled out.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Gotta be tough to recruit and build a program when your staff is constantly changing.

Joe knew that he was assembling a staff that would be cherry-picked by higher paying programs. He expected this. It is part of the process of building a pee poor program into significance. The sky is not falling, just a little ash on our shoulders.

6 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Joe knew that he was assembling a staff that would be cherry-picked by higher paying programs. He expected this. It is part of the process of building a pee poor program into significance. The sky is not falling, just a little ash on our shoulders.

How many guys have even left? A DL coach and a recruiting coordinator? I feel like this is probably not more turnover than the average program 

• Like 5

This is the usual. Joe said himself a lot of the staff is young because the salary pool is pretty low. You’ll naturally have a decent amount of turnover with that. And as far as the NFL thing, he will have the opportunity to leave for pretty much any job he wants, people will hire him regardless of what happens with him at UA. I think he’ll be here at least 3 more years, until his son is done with high school. 

17 hours ago, zippy5 said:

How many guys have even left? A DL coach and a recruiting coordinator? I feel like this is probably not more turnover than the average program 

I think Akron fans just aren't use to other programs wanting our coaches/assistants in football. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Joe would be a moron not to take the interview. At the same time, the belief is he isn't expected to leave Akron. In addition, this is quite the selling point to recruits. "Our head coach and offensive guru is being targeted by an NFL team and Bama for OC positions."

Pieces of our staff leaving for "higher" positions is a great sign for the health of our football program. JoeMo has the ability to identify great young coaches, and current staff moving upward from Akron will be a bat signal for more great, young minds to come here and learn under JoeMo while he's here. 

Side note. Josh Gattis was just let go by Miami FL as their OC. Someone made the point that Mario Cristobal has had 3 OCs not succeed with him as head coach, all of whom are considered some of the brightest offensive minds in the game (Moorhead, Gattis - who is JoeMo's protégé - and I forget the 3rd) and had tons of previous success. The U is in trouble. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dre22era said:

If you were in a committed relationship and your girl was entertaining advances from other men how would you feel?

Turn the other cheek?

If that relationship was a 4 or 5 year contract, and my current contract was a 5.5/10 while my next relationship could be an 8 or 9 out of 10, I'd be an idiot not to look towards the future. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94