Game 24- Toledo

clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Well guess we were due for a clunker and this is definitely one of those.

Going from that crowd Friday, to this has to be deflating for a team. What the heck are people doing on a Tuesday in Akron that they can't make it out?

I doubt the crowd is the problem here.  

35 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Nah. Toledo is way better than Ball State, we have Castenada, and we’re at home. We’re getting run off the floor by a good, more motivated team. 

That was more so directed at the foul fest, Zips led most of the way at BSU. Crumbled when it became a fouls fest. This officiating crew was pretty awful, huddled up multiple times instead of just making the call. Josh White is on Groce’s s*** list moving forward.  Tonight, they couldn’t get over the hump due to some questionable calls for sure, but still mostly inability to capitalize. 

Toledo hit the big shots, damn near every one of them, and the Zips got it down to 3 numerous times and pissed down their leg. 

X was decent, pressed a bit much late in the first half. They guarded Freeman like crazy, and he was off too. Uncharacteristic mistakes. Hankerson kept the Zips in it single-handedly at times. 

All in all, not necessarily a worrisome loss moving forward, definitely a lot to learn from. But if they drop @ Ohio Friday, they stare a trip to Ypsi with a 2-game losing streak in the face. Not a good spot. Time for the Zips to answer the bell. 

I heard Groce on the post game and he hit it right on the nose.  We cannot start out the game 1 for 15 and play catch up against a good team like Toledo.   Offensively we played much better the 2nd half but down the stretch they made some great shots and Freeman turned the ball over twice and Hunter missed a 3 and a shot jump shot from 5 feet.  The refs did not do us any favors tonight and they shot 15 more fouls shots but they were the better team tonight and deserved to win.  I think they beat us at home 2 years ago and seem to always play at a high level when they play the zips.

I guess I should have worn my cup.

If I never have to see Enrique regularly guarding a guard on the perimeter, I will be content.  The Zips seemed to be ill-prepared to deal with Toledo's 4 guard lineup.

What an awfully officiated game.  The refs were also awful for Toledo.  So many missed calls mixed with calling tacky tack stuff.

Toledo is a decent team but damn, that was winnable.

Sometimes you have to take punch in this game, this one was not pretty but you gotta still love this team. Bruised not broken. We can get them back on the 21st. Toledo hung it on us tonight give them credit for it but I take these zips over everyone else in the MAC everyday of the week and twice on Tuesdays.