Favorite nontraditional Zips uniforms

Zipmeister

• Zipmeister changed the title to Favorite nontraditional Zips uniforms

My favorite uni combo is the style they wore in the Potato Bowl in Boise. I believe they were all white with the Z on the helmet. The color announcer for the broadcast said they were the best uni's in college football.

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

My favorite uni combo is the style they wore in the Potato Bowl in Boise. I believe they were all white with the Z on the helmet. The color announcer for the broadcast said they were the best uni's in college football.

Your favorite and mine are identical except for the color of the hat. Both hats, however, have that awful old fashioned Z on them. But I digress.

Let's review; that uni was worn in wins over Utah State and Pitt. Maybe we should keep that in mind for big games where we believe superstition may enable us to pull out a win over a favored opponent. 

• Like 1

My personal top 5:

5.  2022 @ Kent. White hat, white jersey, blue pants. Not sure what it was about this look, but I found it to be really sharp. They wore this at MSU as well IIRC.

4. vs. Ball State 2017--Gold hat with throwback running A, Blue jersey, Gold pants. Opened a can of whoop-ass

3. @ Oklahoma/@ EMU 2015. Blue hat with full roo sticker and jersey number, white jersey, blue pants. May be my favorite helmet they ever wore.

2. @ Kent 2016--Gold hat with white facemask, white jersey, white pants. White Z on one side of the helmet, number on the other. LOVED it. 

1. All White Storm Trooper--worn a few times. I believe just once or twice with a white facemask too. @ BG in 2017 comes to mind. I believe @ Ohio in 2016. 

44 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

Excited to see this non traditional added to the mix this year. Not sure what jersey/pants combo would look best with this but plenty of options would look great - all navy, all white or white jersey/navy pants would look best

IMG_5037.jpeg

Is that a matte blue? Then simply GORGEOUS!  Are you sure we're getting blues this season?

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is that a matte blue? Then simply GORGEOUS!  Are you sure we're getting blues this season?

This was tweeted last fall by the AD. Unless something has changed, I would think we’d see these beauties out there sometime this fall

IMG_5038.jpeg

• Like 2

Road uni- White tops, white pants, gold helmet with the Z

Home uni - same as road only with blue top. 

The jersey should always say Akron. The pants should always have the new logo on the side. 

19 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

#9,345: Anything with script Akron

I'm hoping this horrible trend is over across college football and we donated the white helmets to a needy high school. They look like the guards uniforms from The Longest Yard. 

9 hours ago, zipsfan33 said:

I'm a little partial to these bad boys!   I was there.....brrrrrrrrrr

DsnpFBVX4AAYHLk.jpg

What a game. Can't say I remember them wearing this uniform for that game, but that might be because I could barely see the game from the top of the Rubber Bowl through the flurries of snow in between fans and the field.

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What a game. Can't say I remember them wearing this uniform for that game, but that might be because I could barely see the game from the top of the Rubber Bowl through the flurries of snow in between fans and the field.

In the Snow Bowl of 1987, you wouldn't have seen the field. 

On 3/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, Zippy87 said:

Hard to argue against these units. They are beautiful. Especially when we beat Kent. There should be a rule that we wear them every year against the Flashes.

15 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Hard to argue against these units. They are beautiful. Especially when we beat Kent. There should be a rule that we wear them every year against the Flashes.

I think the reason I like the current uniforms so much is that they really remind me of these throwbacks. The look fits so well with the new logo, the only thing missing now is maybe some stripes on the helmet. 

The team probably wouldn't spring for a whole new uniform set for one game a season. But I think that you're on to something. Maybe every Wagon Wheel matchup they make sure to go gold helmet, blue or white jersey and gold pants. The more traditional combos. Just like the Browns always go brown over orange or white over orange against Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1