Game 7- CMU

clarkwgriswold

32 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Take away one 27 yard run and it's less than 50 yards running. I'd love to know what their average yards per play on each down was, especially first down. Too often they are in second and long. 

There is just so much wrong with the offense. I think it has to do with an inability to complete passes down field for a number of reasons. Defenses can focus on stopping the running game and shorter passes. The running game would be better with an offense stretching the defense. At a minimum, the defense couldn't be so aggressive against Akron at the line. 

Agreed, part of the problem with the running game is a lack of a vertical passing game. Another part is the OL’s lack of consistent push and some blame also falls on the QBs keeping when they should give on the read options. When we do try to push the ball down field we struggle to not only complete the passes, but also not turn them over. 9 of the 10 interceptions have come on attempts beyond 10 yards. 

The other part is some stubborn play calling. I don’t know the averages, but the majority of drives seem to either go run, pass, pass or pass, pass, pass. Of course, some of those pass plays turn into runs due to the QB scrambling. We tend to call consecutive run plays only after a gain of 4 or 5 yards and go away from the run if we gain only one or two yards. The more opportunities a player like Lingard has with the ball in his hands, the greater chance of an explosive play happening. Same can be said for Alex Adams. The offensive staff hasn’t done a great job of putting our best players in a position to be successful this year. Granted our limitations at QB have played a role in that. 

11 minutes ago, Zipsfan10 said:

I don’t believe Wasel was given that opportunity.  Could be wrong.  I do know Wasel stated he came to Akron because he strongly believed in Moorehead’s offensive philosophy and what he could do within it.  He did very well at the 6A HS level on a team with a weaker OL and excels at improvising. That’s evident in his HS film. It’s also evident he’s a competitor that was able to win with mostly mediocre surrounding talent.  I’m sure he has a lot still to learn to excel at the D1 level at the same capacity. Not sure why more opportunities for development haven’t been given to these young guys, given the situation. That’s the question. Probably a reason and I’d sure like to hear the answer. 

I may not have the depth of knowledge regarding Akron football that others here do, but I think we’ve seen what Bullock and Undercuffler can do, so what is the harm of letting our younger guys get a chance? 

55 minutes ago, Zipsfan10 said:

I don’t believe Wasel was given that opportunity.  Could be wrong.  I do know Wasel stated he came to Akron because he strongly believed in Moorehead’s offensive philosophy and what he could do within it.  He did very well at the 6A HS level on a team with a weaker OL and excels at improvising. That’s evident in his HS film. It’s also evident he’s a competitor that was able to win with mostly mediocre surrounding talent.  I’m sure he has a lot still to learn to excel at the D1 level at the same capacity. Not sure why more opportunities for development haven’t been given to these young guys, given the situation. That’s the question. Probably a reason and I’d sure like to hear the answer. 

We might see that soon, as we are close to being out of bowl contention. Wasel can play up to 4 regular season games and keep a redshirt status. Of course, if he comes in and does well, the redshirt status won’t matter.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chrisball96 said:

I may not have the depth of knowledge regarding Akron football that others here do, but I think we’ve seen what Bullock and Undercuffler can do, so what is the harm of letting our younger guys get a chance? 

Might as well. We have 5 games left so I believe our youngsters can play all five and still retain the year of eligibility.

EDIT: I posted too soon. Apparently I'm mistaken concerning the 5 games. @catdaddyp just stated it is 4 games & he knows what he's talking about.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

We might see that soon, now that we’re out of bowl contention. Wasel can play up to 4 regular season games and keep a redshirt status. Of course, if he comes in and does well, the redshirt status won’t matter.

Agreed. Redshirt be damned. Just win, baby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Might as well. We have 5 games left so I believe our youngsters can play all five and still retain the year of eligibility.

EDIT: I posted too soon. Apparently I'm mistaken concerning the 5 games. @catdaddyp just stated it is 4 games & he knows what he's talking about.

4 regular season games plus a bowl game would make 5, so still on the right track. 

Unfortunately, no bowl game for us this year.

22 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Agreed, part of the problem with the running game is a lack of a vertical passing game. Another part is the OL’s lack of consistent push and some blame also falls on the QBs keeping when they should give on the read options. When we do try to push the ball down field we struggle to not only complete the passes, but also not turn them over. 9 of the 10 interceptions have come on attempts beyond 10 yards. 

The other part is some stubborn play calling. I don’t know the averages, but the majority of drives seem to either go run, pass, pass or pass, pass, pass. Of course, some of those pass plays turn into runs due to the QB scrambling. We tend to call consecutive run plays only after a gain of 4 or 5 yards and go away from the run if we gain only one or two yards. The more opportunities a player like Lingard has with the ball in his hands, the greater chance of an explosive play happening. Same can be said for Alex Adams. The offensive staff hasn’t done a great job of putting our best players in a position to be successful this year. Granted our limitations at QB have played a role in that. 

“Stubborn” is a great general description…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think playing the young kids may actually resulted them being more likely to stay rather than hit the transfer portal in the off season.

You may be right. I think a couple of things come into play. First, if the kid plays well there is a lot of confidence and he stays. 

The key is what to do if he doesn't play well. If he's the coach's "guy", the coach needs to publicly support him as the future of the program and live and die with him. Dave Clawson did this with John Wolford. No matter what, he was going to live or die with him. Yesterday he benched a Senior starter at halftime who was badly underperforming. This year will be Clawsons first losing season in a long time. As good as he is, he can't win with a bum at QB. I predict a new face in the program at QB next year. Wake will absorb a couple of losing season for the next Wolford, Newman or Hartman. Akron doesn't have more years of losing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

Yes, but ultimately these are mostly Moorhead’s guys as they have chased out all but a handful of kids from the Arth era.  Moorhead has dug deep into portal for kids with no success, ultimately playing them over talent that was there that I feel could have done better in several positions.  Look at all the players that have left the past few years that have gone on to bigger programs and who are playing at their new schools.  Position coaches are not doing him any favors either.  Ultimately, it’s the coaches responsibility to get these kids prepared and keep the talent he has. Moorhead is just not getting the job done, period end of story. 

and I do not buy NIL deals and transfer portal as a reason for program failure. Every other team has to work within these boundaries as well. 

I have to ask what Arth era games were you watching where there was a lot of talent?  Arth wasn’t even building a team that would have been good at DI-AA.  If you check the TP threads you will see most of the Arth kids that left ended up going to lower divisions or not playing anymore (or ended up places that weren’t big enough for us to find). 

• Like 1

Again, sort of a newbie here, but any chance we could lean on Lingard a bit more, if we aren’t super behind that is? He’s got a decent YPC but he doesn’t seem to be asked to be that involved. Maybe establish the run to set up the pass if we don’t have as reliable a QB?

Or am I way off base?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrisball96 said:

Again, sort of a newbie here, but any chance we could lean on Lingard a bit more, if we aren’t super behind that is? He’s got a decent YPC but he doesn’t seem to be asked to be that involved. Maybe establish the run to set up the pass if we don’t have as reliable a QB?

Or am I way off base?

First off welcome, we need the dues and the new blood so stay active.  

Secondly, I think your question has been asked by just about every ZNO member who would like to see more of 27.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MDZip said:

How negative all of you are. All we have to do is win the next five in a row an voila, bowl eligible. 🤣

Now why didn't I think of that? 🤔

14 minutes ago, Chrisball96 said:

Or am I way off base?

I'm really like Lingard, but we don't have the line to do this. Zips need everyone to contribute. 

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

A team is more than one person and the failures this season are widespread. 

I don't blame nil or tp for our failures either. 

True, it is the entire organization but they don’t fire the players when a team doesn’t perform….its all the coaches and sometimes the admin that go……

16 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

True, it is the entire organization but they don’t fire the players when a team doesn’t perform….its all the coaches and sometimes the admin that go……

A scholarship is a series of one year contracts that aren't guaranteed to be renewed. Players can absolutely be fired. Many should be fired.

37 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

All you guys bitching on here about the QB play need to put your money where your mouth is. If you want a talented QB, it takes money in this NIL day and age. I'll start a go fund me page to finance it. It should only cost about $150k.

Is this what the QBs at Miami and Toledo make?

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

How negative all of you are. All we have to do is win the next five in a row an voila, bowl eligible. 🤣

The Zips may become bowl eligible without winning the next five games in a row. Let's say, for example, the Zips only win one of the five. They could still qualify for a bowl game if four of the teams that beat them this year are forced to forfeit the game because they played an ineligible player or something else really bad. Boom, it's time to go bowling.

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

I have to ask what Arth era games were you watching where there was a lot of talent?  Arth wasn’t even building a team that would have been good at DI-AA.  If you check the TP threads you will see most of the Arth kids that left ended up going to lower divisions or not playing anymore (or ended up places that weren’t big enough for us to find). 

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

I watched all of them bro…First off, let me say, I am not a Arth super supporter.  I just call it as I see it. Arth’s first year really didn’t count as he came in after the main signing period, so he really only had about as much time as Moorhead has had.  

As for players, you must not be paying attention. Yes, Arth did bring in some guys that had no business being on a Div 1 FBS football team but so has Moorhead.  Here is a list off the top of my head of Arth offensive guys that left for greener pastures that could have helped us George Qualls Jr., Zach Gibson, Jonzell Norills, Konata Mumpfield, Ryan Beckman, Owen Murphy, Jordan Daniels, and Xavier Grey. I am sure there are several others on defense as well…

You have to also remember that Arth really only had two full recruiting years and I would have liked to have seen him coach out his contract rather than have it bought out for a half million dollars and then pay Moorhead $800k/yr for no better results….