Akron to play Ohio State to open the 2024 season

LZIp

On 6/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, ClevelandZip said:

Sad but true. Anyone going to this bloodbath? I’d hate to see the Zips get embarrassed but I’ve also never been to the Shoe before.

If you've never been, you should go.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

If you've never been, you should go.

Maybe once. After that it's something I'm trying to avoid in this life. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GP1 said:

My ideal game is a completely empty stadium, on a Saturday afternoon, with the exception of me and Mrs. GP1, the luckiest woman in the world. However, I know that isn't good for the program so I can only dream. 

All you have to do to fulfill your dream is to attend one of the Tuesday night games in late November. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Maybe now they can get some lights in the Indoor facility with that money so kids don’t have to practice in the dark 

15 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

All you have to do to fulfill your dream is to attend one of the Tuesday night games in late November. 

No way. I didn't even go to those when I still lived in Akron. 

On 6/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, ClevelandZip said:

Sad but true. Anyone going to this bloodbath? I’d hate to see the Zips get embarrassed but I’ve also never been to the Shoe before.

I have been to the Shoe for a band show, and...that place is so cramped.  I think it'd be a miserable experience with 100K people there.  It's reasonably dilapidated, too, so there's not really much to it other than "hey now I can say I was at the Shoe."

54 minutes ago, exit322 said:

I have been to the Shoe for a band show, and...that place is so cramped.  I think it'd be a miserable experience with 100K people there.  It's reasonably dilapidated, too, so there's not really much to it other than "hey now I can say I was at the Shoe."

That’s totally fair. I am fond of old venues, though. I recently went to Fenway Park, and it was honestly an awful place to watch a modern baseball game, but it was cool to go to once when you appreciate its history.

57 minutes ago, exit322 said:

Sorry your experience at the Shoe was not positive. Mine was the exact opposite. With 100,000 people in the stadium the atmosphere is electric, like nothing you have ever experienced. The real attraction for a Zip fan is the tailgating before the game. If you wear Zip gear invariably someone will invite you to their tailgate party and serve many cold ones. I go every season to a game just to experience the event with good opponent. Be prepared for stupid questions like how long has UA been D1, don't you have lots of streets running thru your small campus, does the MAC have D2 members, etc. As far as the stadium, when Andy Geiger was AD he spent over 160M on renovating the stadium. It is as good as any top venue. There is no dilapidated sections I've seen. Be prepared to leave at the half as most of the students will do, but only after the band show. That will be better than the game. Their band is fabulous so make sure you catch the pregame and halftime shows.  At least we will get a good paycheck from this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exit322 said:

It's a terrible experience. How bad is it? They are having trouble selling out their games. Look at their 2024 home schedule. It's laughable. I guess the Michigan game would be compelling if you had a small fortune to spend on a decent ticket. If not, the upper deck provides a great view of what might be a football game going on n below. 

On 6/9/2024 at 9:47 AM, GP1 said:

My ideal game is a completely empty stadium, on a Saturday afternoon, with the exception of me and Mrs. GP1, the luckiest woman in the world. However, I know that isn't good for the program so I can only dream. 

C'mon GP1, best game ever would be I have the presidential sweet all to myself and my friends. All other fans, 100% zips fans, and the Band, on the other side so I can see them cheer wildly for the Zips, as the Zips annihilate whoever we're playing. With OSU fans bringing their jerseys to the stadium to trade in for ZIPS jerseys, and bowing before the almighty ARoo Logo pledging fealty to the Akron Zips for eternity.

A man can dream.

5 hours ago, ZipCat said:

Hey, I'll take $1.8m to come beat OSU. (/j)

So will Guthrie. He has the cost of many improvements covered at a time that he knows the cost to maintain a full athletic dept is growing. Keep in mind the payouts for cannon-fodder games go into his general fund and are not kept by the football program. Guthrie is free to spend these funds on other sports (improvements or operations) if he presents a good enough case to the president and CFO.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, GP1 said:

The rivalries need to be within the conference. YSU would want home and home. That would not benefit the program in any way. 

I disagree. The best rivalries are local rivalries where fans (in most cases) travel to the away games (if you consider 14 miles is “traveling”). A rivalry in Muncie or DeKalb isn’t going to move the needle. Toledo or Dayton is pushing it. 

It has to start at the top, and I get the feeling the top people of these schools do t give a rats as about athletics. Ohio State has been stealing their lunch for decades, and they’re just hoping to move on to something more prestigious. Or a nice pre-retirement money grab.

• Like 2

Here’s another thought.

The Akron Rubberducks lead the league in attendance. Yes it’s minor league, but it’s baseball in Akron. They drew 3,900 fans per game to downtown Akron. That might not sound like much but they play 5 or 6 times a week. 70 home games a season X 8 minor league teams in Ohio. 

What do they do better? How do they engage the fans? 

Akron. Has. No. Clue. They can’t sell football in northeast Ohio. Some high schools draw more football fans. 

I went to Akron, and still lost interest in the Zips. In the right hands, it could be exciting again.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2024 at 11:17 PM, Spin said:

Akron. Has. No. Clue. They can’t sell football in northeast Ohio. Some high schools draw more football fans. 

I went to Akron, and still lost interest in the Zips. In the right hands, it could be exciting again.

I mean we're talking apples and oranges right? It's not just Football in NEO, it's Football ... in the Fall ... Ohio State is also on to watch and play. Baseball is the summer, when there isn't much else going on in terms of sports, and not at the same time the Guardians play. The two scenarios are nowhere comparable; and to say they are, with all due respect, is a false equivalency. 

On 6/30/2024 at 3:50 PM, ZipCat said:

I mean we're talking apples and oranges right? It's not just Football in NEO, it's Football ... in the Fall ... Ohio State is also on to watch and play. Baseball is the summer, when there isn't much else going on in terms of sports, and not at the same time the Guardians play. The two scenarios are nowhere comparable; and to say they are, with all due respect, is a false equivalency. 

I’m looking at the Akron live sports market. If you can’t grasp that, let’s try something else.

Toledo market size: 518,300, the university has 15,013 enrollment. Attendance: 21,352

Akron market size: 556,000,  and the university has 25,117 enrollment. Attendance:  7,237

The difference? Fanbase engagement. Student engagement. Winning helps too. 

Toledo eats our lunch when it comes to marketing. 

Edited by Spin
Clarification
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spin said:

I’m looking at the Akron live sports market. If you can’t grasp that, let’s try something else.

The University of Toledo enrollment 15,013 and averages 19,675.
Akron’s enrollment 25,117 and draws 7,237

Toledo draws more fans than their enrollment. 

You're 10K plus high on the Akron enrollment number.

4 minutes ago, egregiousbob said:

You're 10K plus high on the Akron enrollment number.

True, from the university website they enroll 11,323. 

21 minutes ago, Spin said:

Gameday at a Toledo game is a better experience for athletes students alumni fans and general community than Akron. It's been like this for decades. Toledo puts their best foot forward with a good program and people respond. We should be more like Toledo. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Gameday at a Toledo game is a better experience for athletes students alumni fans and general community than Akron. It's been like this for decades. Toledo puts their best foot forward with a good program and people respond. We should be more like Toledo. 

Mr Negative strikes again. I’ve been to games at Toledo and the only thing different is that they have been winning for a long time which translates into better crowds…which translates into better atmosphere….which translates into better experience. Akron has a great stadium, if they start winning it will be a fun atmosphere.