2023/24 Portal Page

MangoZip

3 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

It’s brutal out there. A lot of kids will be left with nothing. 

IMG_6163.jpeg

It's a great point, but I take issue with the part of "and you don't know you have better potential destinations lined up". Tampering shouldn't be happening. I don't mind the transfer or NIL rules, but there has to be SOME sort of cracking down on the current landscape. Everyone knowing Sam Hartman was going to ND the second he entered the portal last year is wrong.

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

It's a great point, but I take issue with the part of "and you don't know you have better potential destinations lined up". Tampering shouldn't be happening. I don't mind the transfer or NIL rules, but there has to be SOME sort of cracking down on the current landscape. Everyone knowing Sam Hartman was going to ND the second he entered the portal last year is wrong.

Agree but pretty much impossible to enforce. I think it’s pretty much understood that many have their destination locked up, or at least narrowed down, before they even enter the portal. I may be wrong, but I think it’s not ok for the player to have contact with another school before entering the portal but there are no rules against a parent or guardian reaching out. Definitely a loop hole 

42 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

It’s brutal out there. A lot of kids will be left with nothing. 

IMG_6163.jpeg

He's 100% correct. One half of all players in the TP will end up with nothing. 

I think kids aren't thinking through things clearly. At some point, playing careers end. The options discussed are to stay and try your best or take the risk of the portal. The one rarely discussed is not playing football and just staying and graduating, then getting a job. I'm sure for many guys, the burden of not playing would be a relief. 

I actually think if a school runs a player off of a team because they want to open up a scholarship for someone who they think is better, the kid run off should still get a full scholarship to that school. If coaches are living up to their word in a family's living room during recruiting, the promise of a chance at graduating should be honored. Maybe acting honorably is too much to ask, but I don't think it is. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Corey Thomas (Safety) is in the Portal. Another Arth guy. 

Somewhat of a bummer as he played a lot this year and has good size/length. He's later in his career so unsure how much more growth potential is there. Either way, not an all conference guy and about as developed as he'll be by this point, so replaceable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Miami just lost their QB prior to their bowl game

Miami just won 11 games and a MAC championship and their QB in line to start the next 2 seasons is leaving. He’s solid but not a top tier MAC QB. Nobody is safe.

• Like 1

I've told this story on here before so I apologize to anyone who's heard it before.  I'm one of those old guys that repeats stuff.

One of my employees is very good friends with a college baseball coach.  One of his players who overvalued his talent and thought he was underappreciated came to his office at the end of a season to tell the coach he was considering entering the portal.  The coach told him he'd recruited him once and wasn't going to do it a second time and showed him to the door!

• Like 2

I've mentioned before I have a brother who is well connected to a couple of high profile college coaches. The coaches understand the graduate transfer more than you may realize. This is especially the case for a kid who started college early and after three to four spring practices and a degree, they are looking for something different. 

Think about when you were in college. Most of us were really itching to graduate and get on with something else. I think these players see the world the same way and a chance to go somewhere, pick up a Masters Degree and play couple more years of football seems like a good idea. 

The QB from OSU is an example. He has zero shot at the NFL and has graduated. What if he wants to go somewhere with nice weather, play some games and get a Masters Degree?  It's probably a better idea for him than another freezing winter in Columbus doing the same routine as before. He's also looking at the guys he played with going to the NFL or portal and wonders why he would stick around with a bunch of young guys he has nothing in common with. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

dammit

Good luck to him. It was fun to watch his development, but I won’t miss the penalties. The good news is we still have a load of potential in the WR room and WR is also the easiest position to recruit in the portal. 

I believe that leaves only 15 Arth recruits. I bet that number is under 10 by the time 2024 kicks off.

• Like 3