2023/24 Portal Page

MangoZip

On 12/11/2023 at 9:56 PM, catdaddyp said:

17 transfers out so far (not including a few walk-ons who did not see the field). End of season starters are WR Jasaiah Gathings, S Corey Thomas, OL Nate Williams, CB Tyson Durant. The rest are depth players with varying range of potential. 

The only incoming portal addition to date (not including JUCO) is OL Laurence Seymore who is already on campus.

At the moment, 13 HS prospects and 1 JUCO are publicly committed.

WMU has the most portal departures with 18, but Ohio has been hit the hardest in terms of quality.

Today marks one week the portal has been open and already over 100 MAC players have entered. Full MAC list can be seen here.

Hope not. But, am afraid Zips might be in worse shape going into next season after all th portal dust settles.

On 12/12/2023 at 6:50 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Manchester RB Ethan Wright has entered the TP

I hope we offer two local guys. 

Ethan Wright can help this team as a RB or as a Safety.  He played both positions at Cincinnati.

We need to offer former Iowa QB Joe Labas, who is from Brecksville.  

image.thumb.png.1a69be485739fa491b224d4a9ead6dcd.png

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

Ethan Wright can help this team as a RB or as a Safety.  He played both positions at Cincinnati.

Labas is a career bench warmer. If he's the best Akron can do, the Zips are in trouble. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Hope not. But, am afraid Zips might be in worse shape going into next season after all th portal dust settles.

I think most of it will hinge on the quarterback. A number of incoming transfers were all-conference at their respective levels and I’m sure some of the talented freshmen from the 2023 class will be ready to contribute. The team should be better at nearly every position, but if the QB situation is still a problem, it will just be more of the same. There are two transfer windows to get that figured out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Akron1 said:

I don’t know Iowa’s situation or why Labas didn’t play, but watching his practice film he certainly has the physical makeup. Then again, so does Bullock, so I’m not sure how to feel. Ideally we land at least one QB with significant game experience. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GP1 said:

Labas is a career bench warmer. If he's the best Akron can do, the Zips are in trouble. 

Labas has offers from two MAC schools - Central Michigan and NIU.

Labas threw for 139 yards and a touchdown when Iowa beat Kentucky 21-0 in the Music City Bowl last year.  Not bad for Iowa's juggernaut of an offense.

2 hours ago, Akron1 said:

Labas has offers from two MAC schools - Central Michigan and NIU.

Labas threw for 139 yards and a touchdown when Iowa beat Kentucky 21-0 in the Music City Bowl last year.  Not bad for Iowa's juggernaut of an offense.

That's fine. We need someone better. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

FIFY.

If Labas can make accurate throws with decent arm strength, I'm in. We have nobody right now as far as I'm concerned, unless Wasel develops well. 

Agree. Wasel was clearly touted as a true P5 guy, but still young. Played at a very high level in HS.  Odd we’ve seen nothing from him him to this point. It’ll be interesting to see how he’s developed. Be nice to get an upper class-men proven QB/leader over for a year to get us going in the right direction and mentor Wasel as he develops to lessen the risk of losing both.  

• Like 2

Iowa's worst QB is likely better than anyone in our QB room the last two years.

I'd love for them to bring home Ethan Wright.  Good kid from a good local family.  He got the runaround at Cinci from different staffs, including a position switch, then a move back.  He had a good bowl game last year then got moved down the depth chart again. 

• Like 1

Iowa’s QB was arguably the worst QB in FBS and he was playing behind a Big10 line. Labas  passed on Akron for Ball St initially before decommitting and signing with Iowa when they were empty handed during the COVID freeze on recruiting. He’s not coming to Akron unless it’s his last and only D1 offer.