2023/24 Portal Page

MangoZip

48 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

UMass may be a better fit for Ryan. He was not going to get PT here so it was time to move on. I hope he does well and wish him the best of luck in their program.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

UMass may be a better fit for Ryan. He was not going to get PT here so it was time to move on. I hope he does well and wish him the best of luck in their program.

Yeah, the writing was on the wall as far as PT goes here. He’s probably being brought in as the backup to Phommachanh. Not sure how long that will last though. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Haston leapfrog to the #2 spot by the time spring wraps up. They also have a talented freshman coming in (Hairston).

31 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Bummer

It's the age we live in...

I wonder who the first G5 team will be to openly market itself as simply a stepping stone to the P5 level. "If you're a P5 level recruit, come to Prep State University. We'll give you the playing time, coaching and facilities to get you a P5 scholarship and NIL money, or your money back. I guarantee it!"  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Bummer

I thought he had another year if he wanted it, but I also assumed he was going pro after the season. 

Enjoyed watching him improve over the past two seasons. He came a long way from his first game.

Edited by catdaddyp

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It's the age we live in...

I wonder who the first G5 team will be to openly market itself as simply a stepping stone to the P5 level. "If you're a P5 level recruit, come to Prep State University. We'll give you the playing time, coaching and facilities to get you a P5 scholarship and NIL money, or your money back. I guarantee it!"  

An FCS coach openly did something very similar to this on Twitter and was shunned by the coaching community as well as the fanbase. He ended up posting an apology.

In reality, I think you’re on to something and it’s a matter of time before we see this type of recruiting pitch universally accepted. Assuming the portal and NIL continue down the path we’re currently on.

Edited by catdaddyp

The college football world is apparently starving for 3rd-5th year OL's. Our mediocre-at-best guys are landing gigs at East Carolina, San Diego State, Liberty... not like that's Alabama, Clemson and Michigan, but still...10 years ago those guys would have ended up at some FCS program.

Seems like it's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic? The JUCO's and random assortment of other guys we pick up are essentially the same caliber of player. It sucks to lose the continuity of several guys playing side-by-side for a few years...but unless the outgoing guys were replaced with Freshman, it seems to work out ok.

The days of developing a HS kid with a good frame into a 5th year blocking machine are over. G5 schools can still do the grooming, but a P5 will ultimately reap the benefits.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Bummer

I really don't get this. Why leave for what I assume to be P5 position for only one year? What P5 will take a good, but not great, G5 player from a terrible team? I'm not thinking there are many landing places, so does that mean he focuses on a better G5 team to improve his draft position? Possibly, but, again, it doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I really don't get this. Why leave for what I assume to be P5 position for only one year? What P5 will take a good, but not great, G5 player from a terrible team? I'm not thinking there are many landing places, so does that mean he focuses on a better G5 team to improve his draft position? Possibly, but, again, it doesn't make sense to me.

Have you seen what these P5 programs offer? Their facilities, food, equipment, etc. are all worth the 1 year exploration. I don't blame anyone for looking to go P5. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Have you seen what these P5 programs offer? Their facilities, food, equipment, etc. are all worth the 1 year exploration. I don't blame anyone for looking to go P5. 

When you leave for another program with one year left you leave only for playing time. No one gets a better draft position for sitting on the bench or splitting time on a P5 team no matter how nice their facilities are. Regardless, I wish him well.

44 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

When you leave for another program with one year left you leave only for playing time. No one gets a better draft position for sitting on the bench or splitting time on a P5 team no matter how nice their facilities are. Regardless, I wish him well.

I think a lot of players see it as a chance to "study abroad". They can get a graduate diploma from a second school...get a change of scenery...experience a different culture.

Let's face it - Ronan Chambers has lost a lot of football games in his college career. Like 90% of them. Why not take your NCAA "Grad Transfer Get Out of Jail Free" card to see what else is out there? 

If it doesn't work out...you have your UA Bachelors degree...and off you go into the real world.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2023 at 6:01 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Iowa's worst QB is likely better than anyone in our QB room the last two years.

I'd love for them to bring home Ethan Wright.  Good kid from a good local family.  He got the runaround at Cinci from different staffs, including a position switch, then a move back.  He had a good bowl game last year then got moved down the depth chart again. 

Ethan Wright signed with Youngstown State

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

OL Kilbane, Georges, and Robarge official listed in the portal.

It's amazing...if you don't get playing time, you transfer. If you have great freshman and sophomore years, you transfer to a P5. If you've played 4 years, you transfer because you don't want to waste your grad transfer year.

How do you get someone to stay in your program for more than a couple years? I don't think it's possible anymore. You just annually build a team with a handful of freshmen, and a slew of portal and JUCO "soldiers of fortune", and see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It's amazing...if you don't get playing time, you transfer. If you have great freshman and sophomore years, you transfer to a P5. If you've played 4 years, you transfer because you don't want to waste your grad transfer year.

How do you get someone to stay in your program for more than a couple years? I don't think it's possible anymore. You just annually build a team with a handful of freshmen, and a slew of portal and JUCO "soldiers of fortune", and see how it shakes out.

Roster management has to be a headache.

As for these 3, they all saw their snaps significantly decrease this past year, so I can’t say it’s a surprise. Probably for the best. That leaves Lyons as the only OL holdover from the previous staff.