The Impact of NIL Contracts

Hurley is not going anywhere.  Maybe they can go get Bobby!

I'm not sure where Kentucky goes.  The job doesn't have the panache it once did.  It also takes a special personality.  

T.J. Otzelberger from Iowa State could be a prime candidate.  Maybe Stan Heath.

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Hurley is not going anywhere.  Maybe they can go get Bobby!

I'm not sure where Kentucky goes.  The job doesn't have the panache it once did.  It also takes a special personality.  

T.J. Otzelberger from Iowa State could be a prime candidate.  Maybe Stan Heath.

There was a Kentucky fan on Facebook complaining about the players entering the Portal before a new coach was hired, and saying that part of Kentucky's problem was the players playing for Coach Cal instead of Kentucky. 

I laughed. Kentucky fans are absolutely delusional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

There was a Kentucky fan on Facebook complaining about the players entering the Portal before a new coach was hired, and saying that part of Kentucky's problem was the players playing for Coach Cal instead of Kentucky. 

I laughed. Kentucky fans are absolutely delusional. 

The Vegas odds I saw today had Scott Drew as the favorite. If thats who they land, that would mean Hurley, Oates, Jay Wright, and probably Donovan all turned it down and would be a massive fail on Kentucky's part. Drew has only made made it to 1 Final Four in his 20+ years as a D1 head coach. 

27 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The Vegas odds I saw today had Scott Drew as the favorite. If thats who they land, that would mean Hurley, Oates, Jay Wright, and probably Donovan all turned it down and would be a massive fail on Kentucky's part. Drew has only made made it to 1 Final Four in his 20+ years as a D1 head coach. 

Scott Drew is way too good of a person for Kentucky. My wife and I honeymooned in Waco a few years ago, and our Fixer Upper tour guide (along with several other people) raved about how terrific a human being Scott Drew is. I hope he stays at Baylor. 

Interesting article on here on the different portal approaches-

https://247sports.com/article/the-cost-of-winning-inside-the-nil-approaches-of-the-basketball-teams-that-fared-best-and-worst-this-season-229902614/

It cuts off at some point for a pay wall, but interesting article up to that point.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Interesting article on here on the different portal approaches-

https://247sports.com/article/the-cost-of-winning-inside-the-nil-approaches-of-the-basketball-teams-that-fared-best-and-worst-this-season-229902614/

It cuts off at some point for a pay wall, but interesting article up to that point.

In the article it states that the median collective is paying $750k for P5 schools and that number is projected to double this coming year. There is certainly a lot of negative surrounding NIL, but the one positive is I don't think it will be long before you see a lot more players sticking around the full 4-5 years of college. 5 years from now it very well could be that unless you're a lottery pick, the pay is better to stay in college instead of being a late 1st to 2nd round pick.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just saw this on X.  We were discussing this a few days ago, the true Blue Bloods.

We mentioned the top 7 as the true bluest of Blue Bloods.

@Illini Zip also mentioned Villanova & @zippy5 also mentioned Michigan State.

I would never think of Arkansas or Utah for the Top 25. And our ranking of the top 5 is different than theirs for whatever reason. Very cool. 

Decided I wanted to risk losing some brain cells and IQ points, so I traveled over to the PCCC message board to see their thoughts on the off-season. Found a few interesting tidbits...

- According to Musselman77 "I got it from a good source that Ali Ali got $100k to come back this season" (referring to last season)

- It was questioned how WMU can solicit the money for their new arena, while PCCC "does nothing but burn bridges with community businesses and alumni." In response to this, Older and Older stated "The list of well off alumni and businesses that want nothing to with the development people and Athletic Dept. is truly shocking We frequently discuss and just shake our heads. Wish I was comfortable saying more but they will cancel my parking pass." (This was copied verbatim, perfectly conveying the Can't Write part of Can't Read Can't Write Can't State motto)

32 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Decided I wanted to risk losing some brain cells and IQ points, so I traveled over to the PCCC message board to see their thoughts on the off-season. Found a few interesting tidbits...

- According to Musselman77 "I got it from a good source that Ali Ali got $100k to come back this season" (referring to last season)

- It was questioned how WMU can solicit the money for their new arena, while PCCC "does nothing but burn bridges with community businesses and alumni." In response to this, Older and Older stated "The list of well off alumni and businesses that want nothing to with the development people and Athletic Dept. is truly shocking We frequently discuss and just shake our heads. Wish I was comfortable saying more but they will cancel my parking pass." (This was copied verbatim, perfectly conveying the Can't Write part of Can't Read Can't Write Can't State motto)

Any message board news on how much Kent has in NIL $$$.

Can't be too much.

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would be shocked if it were even 10% of that number. 

That number does seem very high. Daron Holmes reportedly got $175k from Dayton this season and he came into the season as one of the favorites to win A10 POY. No knock to Ali, but I feel $100k would get you a stud (by MAC standards). 

20 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

That number does seem very high. Daron Holmes reportedly got $175k from Dayton this season and he came into the season as one of the favorites to win A10 POY. No knock to Ali, but I feel $100k would get you a stud (by MAC standards). 

Don't shoot the messenger. I agree with you both that $100k would be awfully high for Ali Ali. 

16 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

Any message board news on how much Kent has in NIL $$$.

Can't be too much.

There are two sides to NIL funds.  Coaches not only have to find new players but retain existing players.  If a team has a solid returning core (not implying Kent falls into this category), they might not be able to throw around much money to add new pieces.  The whole thing sucks, basically.

11 minutes ago, egregiousbob said:

There are two sides to NIL funds.  Coaches not only have to find new players but retain existing players.  If a team has a solid returning core (not implying Kent falls into this category), they might not be able to throw around much money to add new pieces.  The whole thing sucks, basically.

I heard an interesting discussion on radio today speculating that many players are putting their names in the portal as a way of measuring their market value.

Surely there's a better way to do this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The only rumor I heard was the Ali Ali received $60,000 form Butler and he recieved $18,000 from Akron's NIL.

3 hours ago, egregiousbob said:

Unless you're a Kansas or North Carolina and can buy a title contending roster each year by reloading.