Game 31- Western Michigan

The Zips head off to Kalamazoo Friday night to face the Broncos and wrap up the regular season.  The Broncos come into the game at 11-19/8-9.  The Zips beat the Broncos 77-66 earlier in the season, outscoring them by 13 in the second half.

6’4” sophomore guard Seth Hubbard is the only Broncos plater than averages in the double digits in scoring at 14.3 ppg. The Broncos are first in the MAC in offensive rebounds with a rotation of some decent big men, which is likely to pose a challenge to the Zips after getting pounded on the boards by EMU Tuesday night.

• Thanks 1

A win might put us in a 2/7 game vs. Can't. A loss and we likely avoid them according to the scenarios presented in another thread.

On one hand, a game vs them might be the elixir to get the Zips fired up. On the other hand, games against your rival take a lot of energy.

Last night was a real kick in the butt. 

Edited by Westie
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Westie said:

A win might put us in a 2/7 game vs. Can't. A loss and we likely avoid them according to the scenarios presented in another thread.

On one hand, a game vs them might be the elixir to get the Zips fired up. On the other hand, games against your rival take a lot of energy.

Last night was a real kick in the butt. 

Agreed that a first round match-up versus a rival wouldn’t be ideal, but on the other hand, if we don’t even win a co-share of the regular season MAC title this year after all the promise of the season, I’ll be pretty irate.

Last night’s choke job had much bigger implications than any of our other losses this year. We still had everything we wanted in our sights before last night, and now we will likely be the second seed in the MAC tournament with three very tough match-ups in a row. Ugh.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

For some reason I feel less worried about an opening round afternoon game against Kent than a morning tipoff against Western Michigan. Maybe recency bias of their not showing up against EMU?

same, i feel like the boys will be up for a Kent sweep. WMU at noon, might still be half asleep

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

same, i feel like the boys will be up for a Kent sweep. WMU at noon, might still be half asleep

Beating the same team three times in a season is very difficult. Nonetheless, if that same team is a rival then there's an added level of emotion & heightened play at factor by the rival - idk if Akron needs that or is ready for that right now given recent play... I'd take WMU but that's now seemingly an afterthought. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Beating the same team three times in a season is very difficult. Nonetheless, if that same team is a rival then there's an added level of emotion & heightened play at factor by the rival - idk if Akron needs that or is ready for that right now given recent play... I'd take WMU but that's now seemingly an afterthought. 

I know we poked fun at Payton Jr and rightfully so, but they're going to really miss him. Their frontcourt is down to Hornbeak, a junior who started the year coming off the bench in limited fashion, and Entenmann and Hunter, a sophomore and freshman respectively who have barely played this season. 

Freeman feasted on them twice and I have no reason to believe he wouldn't do it again.

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

No it's not 

A few years old, but I doubt the numbers have changed much

Edited by zippy5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just wonder if Groce has Tavari playing more.  He has provided some scoring on the road when we have played Buffalo and Kent.  This team needs some offense.  Might be time to bring in a good 3 point shooter even if his defense is not up to par

I think we found a cure to our bad 3 point shooting at the start of the game.  Take more 2 point shots.  I think we have taken only three 3 point shots.  Tribble with the bank and ALI and Freeman with misses.  Really surprised about Ali's poor percentage from 3.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

No it's not 

A few years old, but I doubt the numbers have changed much

We'll see.  This is a mediocre Akron team by our standards so I think playing a rival adds a variable the zips don't need - If nothing else just bc of the physicality of a rivary game.  They might squeak past KSU (bc they are buns) but does it matter if they handedly lose the next one bc of burnout...? I'd be curious to see the same chart bifurcated with the next game a team plays after the third rivalry match

Edited by AkronAlumnus
typo