2024 NCAA Tournament

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Also, perhaps the NCAA could reward a team which wins both their conference regular season and tournament titles with a considerably higher seeding?  I'd say that should be reward enough to get the regular season champ to play to win the tournament.

💯

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Though nothing we really haven't discussed already, I like this guy's thinking.  Reward every D-1 conference regular season champion and tournament champion a bid to the Big Dance.  Make the regular season meaningful again.

I was sure I was going to read “This is a paid advertisement by Tod Kowalczyk of the Toledo Rockets” on the bottom of the tweet.

• Haha 3

The problem I see is the power conferences are not going to want to give up the money they make off of each participating team. There is already talk about getting rid of all automatic bids. That would be another step towards ruining March Madness forever.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/how-much-do-teams-get-for-making-the-ncaa-tournament/ar-BB1k7aEq

14 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

The problem I see is the power conferences are not going to want to give up the money they make off of each participating team. There is already talk about getting rid of all automatic bids. That would be another step towards ruining March Madness forever.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/how-much-do-teams-get-for-making-the-ncaa-tournament/ar-BB1k7aEq

Nobody watches March Madness for the 8v9 matchup. They watch it for the 13v4, 12v5, or even 15v2 upset that plagues the power conferences. The Tourney is the one time they're forced to play the pee-ons away from their home court, and it makes them incredibly vulnerable. 

Any P5 coach or pro-P5 article that suggests getting rid of any type of auto bids is a stain on that person, their university, conference, and the sport of college basketball. Personally, I hope Izzo visits a horse farm and falls face first into a pile of horse 💩.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Nobody watches March Madness for the 8v9 matchup. They watch it for the 13v4, 12v5, or even 15v2 upset that plagues the power conferences. The Tourney is the one time they're forced to play the pee-ons away from their home court, and it makes them incredibly vulnerable. 

Any P5 coach or pro-P5 article that suggests getting rid of any type of auto bids is a stain on that person, their university, conference, and the sport of college basketball. Personally, I hope Izzo visits a horse farm and falls face first into a pile of horse 💩.

Izzo forgets his time at Northern Michigan.  He's been in the ivory towers so damn long that he forgets the other aspects of college basketball.  He thinks the mid-majors are just fine when he uses them in the early season.  Maybe those mid-majors like James Madison and Oakland should tell him to go pee up a rope the next time he tries to round out his OOC schedule.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Izzo forgets his time at Northern Michigan.  He's been in the ivory towers so damn long that he forgets the other aspects of college basketball.  He thinks the mid-majors are just fine when he uses them in the early season.  Maybe those mid-majors like James Madison and Oakland should tell him to go pee up a rope the next time he tries to round out his OOC schedule.

Bill Self is my “Tom Izzo”.  Kansas has had a key player hurt since January and the selection committee still gives them a 4 seed.  I would have preferred them losing to Samford, but I will enjoy the 21 point beat down they received from Gonzaga today. 

4 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Bill Self is my “Tom Izzo”.  Kansas has had a key player hurt since January and the selection committee still gives them a 4 seed.  I would have preferred them losing to Samford, but I will enjoy the 21 point beat down they received from Gonzaga today. 

He's on my list too.  Arrogant Hair Club for Men member arrogant cheater.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Bill Self is a scumbag, but he hasn't made any comments like Izzo has about eliminating the mid major auto bid. Therefore, Self is on my 💩 list, but for much different reasons including but not limited to creating a pop up strip club in Fogg Allen during a preseason exhibition and copious amounts of cheating that the NCAA merely slaps him on the wrist for. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Bill Self is a scumbag, but he hasn't made any comments like Izzo has about eliminating the mid major auto bid. Therefore, Self is on my 💩 list, but for much different reasons including but not limited to creating a pop up strip club in Fogg Allen during a preseason exhibition and copious amounts of cheating that the NCAA merely slaps him on the wrist for. 

Izzo just made it on my list the last couple of days.  Self is a charter member.

51 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Creighton starts the game 1-8 from three against Oregon.

Creighton shot 26% from 3 and 38% from the field in the first half. Comparatively, they were ~70% from 3 and 60%+ from the field at the half on Thursday. Go freaking figure. 

59 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I’m glad Yale is getting killed so I can get to bed before midnight for the first time in a few days.

Not without missing the end of the close Stanford-Iowa State women's game. 😉

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I’m glad Yale is getting killed so I can get to bed before midnight for the first time in a few days.

Bad weekend for the underdogs. A few people I follow on social media are doing an underdogs only bet throughout the tourney, ranging from $100 to $1000 on every underdog. Great Thursday/Friday for them. Brutal Saturday/Sunday. 

13 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I’m watching JMU get curb-stomped by Duke (4).  Down 35 points with 2 minutes to play. I guess losing to Creighton (3) could have been worse. 

I still can't believe the Zips were only down 5 at half. JMU and Duquesne were getting their doors blown off by 3 and 4 seeds by halftime. I will never get over the fact that we were a 14 seed. Absolute disgrace. 

13 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I’m watching JMU get curb-stomped by Duke (4).  Down 35 points with 2 minutes to play. I guess losing to Creighton (3) could have been worse. 

If the Zips had beaten Wisconsin, they could have lost to Duke by 70 and I'd still be able to die a happy man.

Until then, my dream of the Zips making it to the round of 32 continues to be just that...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

I still can't believe the Zips were only down 5 at half. JMU and Duquesne were getting their doors blown off by 3 and 4 seeds by halftime. I will never get over the fact that we were a 14 seed. Absolute disgrace. 

It's a fairly common theme for the more talented team to pull away in the 2nd half. As @Captain Kangaroo put it, Creighton was the better team at all 5 positions. It would have taken them playing one of their worst games all season and us playing our best to spring an upset. Neither of those two happened.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

A team that can't shoot but still relies on jumpers, the odds are not in your favor against a well rounded team that can beat you inside and outside. 

Once a shooting team loses their legs in the 2nd half = its over 

Edited by dre22era