Transfer Portal

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It just seems to have that feel to it.

I hope not. Killer guards are what wins games in the tourney, and while he hasn’t put it all together consistently, the potential has flashed and is there.

LCJ didn’t really take off until his 4th year of college. Same for Castenada.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I hope not. Killer guards are what wins games in the tourney, and while he hasn’t put it all together consistently, the potential has flashed and is there.

LCJ didn’t really take off until his 4th year of college. Same for Castenada.

I agree and I hate to see anyone go because I like the chemistry of our returners, but if I had to choose one myself, I would choose Lyles. My previous comment was based on the number of guards now on the roster and would seem to make the most sense. 

• Like 1

If I am Tavari, Prather, or Nate and I see who Groce is bringing into the program to compete for my position, I am going to elevate my game this summer knowing that getting court time next year just got a lot harder.

Edited by 1981 grad

9 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I do not know why everyone is upset.  I think this late it is the coaches call and obviously he picked the player that he thought would not get to see the court.

Because we needed a scorer last year, and that scorer's scholarship was occupied by a player that chose to redshirt and is now leaving the program. To be clear I'm not mad at Darrion. Just frustrating to see how many recruiting misses the coaches had in the last few years post-COVID. 

Baker was always pretty well recruited out of high school. He was potentially stretch 4 material which is big in today's game.

We are also now lacking depth in the front court. Lyles and Okonkwo are the more traditional "big men" on this team. Harris is a good rebounder but plays more on the perimeter. MMK seems to be more of a 3/4 Forward than a 4/5 F/C, and Brisco might fit the PF mold but will only be a true freshman. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a guard transfer out and a "big" fill their spot. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

There's a huge baseball complex in Indiana that is planning to host a week of "Portal Games" where kids in the portal can come there and show their talents over a week before college coaches.  I wonder if at some point we'll see something similar for basketball.

• Like 1

With so many guards and the tidbit from Bud about the offense moving to a more guard-centric one, is it possible Groce is trying to build a team like his Sweet Sixteen squad at Ohio?

Jon Smith, 6'7", 189

Walter Offutt, 6'4", 202

Ivo Baltic, 6'9", 214

Nick Kellogg, 6'3", 198

DJ Cooper, 6'0", 176

Reggie Keely, 6'9, 239

Ricardo Johnson, 6'5, 207

TJ Hall, 6'3", 210

Stevie Taylor, 5'10", 174

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

With so many guards and the tidbit from Bud about the offense moving to a more guard-centric one, is it possible Groce is trying to build a team like his Sweet Sixteen squad at Ohio?

Jon Smith, 6'7", 189

Walter Offutt, 6'4", 202

Ivo Baltic, 6'9", 214

Nick Kellogg, 6'3", 198

DJ Cooper, 6'0", 176

Reggie Keely, 6'9, 239

Ricardo Johnson, 6'5, 207

TJ Hall, 6'3", 210

Stevie Taylor, 5'10", 174

Adding to this:

Josiah Harris, 6'7", 215

Nate Johnson, 6'3", 204

James Okonkwo, 6'8", 240

Isaiah Gray, 6'3", 219

Seth Wilson, 6'2, 220

Shammah Scott. 6'2", 180

Ryan Prather Jr, 6'5", 205

Tavari Johnson, 5'11", 155

Amani Lyles, 6'7, 226

Marvin Musiime-Kamali, 6'6", 195

I do worry about frontcourt depth, even in a guard-heavy offense. I wonder if Tavari may go elsewhere with Sharron Young taking those minutes and playing right away? 

One year is all a coach needs to figure out if a guy is a good fit. Even if he’s still inexperienced and raw. It could be almost anything; attitude, work ethic, teamism, intelligence. Remember what UConn’s coach Hurley said, it is sometimes the parents that are the cancer. Could be anything. 

We might be done. If not, I would like a true center with more than one year of eligibility please. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Adding to this:

Josiah Harris, 6'7", 215

Nate Johnson, 6'3", 204

James Okonkwo, 6'8", 240

Isaiah Gray, 6'3", 219

Seth Wilson, 6'2, 220

Shammah Scott. 6'2", 180

Ryan Prather Jr, 6'5", 205

Tavari Johnson, 5'11", 155

Amani Lyles, 6'7, 226

Marvin Musiime-Kamali, 6'6", 195

I do worry about frontcourt depth, even in a guard-heavy offense. I wonder if Tavari may go elsewhere with Sharron Young taking those minutes and playing right away? 

Very, very similar.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Because we needed a scorer last year, and that scorer's scholarship was occupied by a player that chose to redshirt and is now leaving the program. To be clear I'm not mad at Darrion. Just frustrating to see how many recruiting misses the coaches had in the last few years post-COVID. 

You and I are on the same page with regard to Groce's misses on the transfer pool last year with regard to Scott and Thornton not being the scorer we needed and now a clear miss with regard to Darrion.  However, I am hoping he is learning from his "misses" from last year.  I agree it is a waste of a scholarship from last year but it is a good move to cut your losses and bring in a player that has a better chance to help the team this year.

Without knowing what went on inside of the team, given the propensity of kids to quickly move on, I can't call a kid a miss and put it all on the coaching staff.  As I recall, Baker was given the option of redshirting and took it.  Behind an All-American, there's not much time to be had and I am sure that played into the decision to redshirt.  There are a lot of reasons kids transfer and they don't all come back the coaching staff's quality of recruiting or something they did after the kid arrived.

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Without knowing what went on inside of the team, given the propensity of kids to quickly move on, I can't call a kid a miss and put it all on the coaching staff.  As I recall, Baker was given the option of redshirting and took it.  Behind an All-American, there's not much time to be had and I am sure that played into the decision to redshirt.  There are a lot of reasons kids transfer and they don't all come back the coaching staff's quality of recruiting or something they did after the kid arrived.

I don't think we can judge if Baker was a miss as a player. The "miss" is found with the roster construction. 

I think it's quite obvious the staff have learned their lesson. This is a complete 180 in recruiting approach this offseason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Fudge. Rat farts. Double turds. 

What a waste of a scholarship/redshirt. 

This is exactly why I've been saying if you think a player is good enough to give you 5-10 minutes, there is no point in red-shirting in today's game. It's better to use scholarships on players you can help you now as there is no promise of a tomorrow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

This is exactly why I've been saying if you think a player is good enough to give you 5-10 minutes, there is no point in red-shirting in today's game. It's better to use scholarships on players you can help you now as there is no promise of a tomorrow.

I'm 100% in your camp. I think I was bitching during the season about Baker redshirting cause we needed to see if anyone on the team could give us some scoring. 

I don't really think Groce ever really got away from the concept of wanting to be a guard center team. He just happened to stumble on an All-American big, which he didn't even recruit. When you have a player of Freeman's caliber, you adjust your scheme to fit your roster. Now that Freeman is gone, Groce is just returning to how he normally constructs a roster.

• Like 1

Earlier this year there was a video posted somewhere of an interview w/ Enrique. He was asked who he thought had a bright future among the underclassmen & he mentioned MMK... but didn't mention Baker. At the time I thought it was just a mental slip as he was speaking off the top of his head. But now it looks like there was more to it than that.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2