Transfer Portal

28 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Traore is a more of the modern, athletic stretch 4 with post moves and an outside shot. Based on the scores of some of these highlights, he has solid playing time experience on the Big East. 

Harding and Fitzmorris would be more of the "traditional big" with more proven DI experience than our current front court. 

We'll see if we go big - and which type of big - or guard, like Kone Johnson. 

One thing that jumped out at me in the video is how many of those clips are from games that were blowouts and essentially over.  Not saying he couldn't be a big help, but he was obviously getting garbage time minutes. 

1 hour ago, Zippy87 said:

We've been linked to these four, all of whom I believe are still uncommitted. 

Markus Harding (Central Michigan)

Rashad Bishop (Georgetown College)

(Stony Brook) 

(St. Johns)

Harding, a 6'10" forward averaged averaged 10.2 points, 5.2 rebounds, and 27.7 minutes per game

Bishop, a 6'7" forward averaged 11.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 21 minutes

Fitzmorris, a  7'0" center and previous Stanford transfer to Stony Brook, averaged 10.9 points, 4.4 rebounds and 25 minutes  

Trayore, a 6'8" forward, averaged 1.7 points, 1.2 rebounds and 6 minutes per game. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

Just curious, but why? I don't know anything about the kid, but last 2 years averaged 3.5 and 6.4 min/game with 0.6 and 1.7 ppg. What am I missing? 

You’re missing absolutely nothing. I simply love his name, we are connected to him, and he’s a P6 talent. I thin JG coaches up talented players about as well as anyone in America. 

House could be a force in the MAC!  I don't know how I feel about bringing in a guy, on an NIL package, who only played 3.6 minutes for a mid (barely .500) FSU team.  Looking at the list of schools interested in him, I think Akron and Belmont are the highest caliber so there's a real chance here - IDK if its a reach or not.

Both the recent transfers feel like a coach making space for instant contributors. Only worry is we will become a team that reloads every year. Is that a good thing… maybe… maybe not. I think this is just the future of college basketball and JG is on the train, and not getting pasted by. 

as for our new roster opening. Stretch 4 is #1 need but I would take a 7 footer who bangs. 

I actually think we have a decent amount of shooters 

8 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

Both the recent transfers feel like a coach making space for instant contributors. Only worry is we will become a team that reloads every year. Is that a good thing… maybe… maybe not. I think this is just the future of college basketball and JG is on the train, and not getting pasted by. 

as for our new roster opening. Stretch 4 is #1 need but I would take a 7 footer who bangs. 

I actually think we have a decent amount of shooters 

It would suck to not have. GT type at our school anymore. Someone who stays for 4-5 years.

But JG clearly refuses to let Akron fade into irrelevance and if it means rebuilding every year then sign me up

39 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

It would suck to not have. GT type at our school anymore. Someone who stays for 4-5 years.

But JG clearly refuses to let Akron fade into irrelevance and if it means rebuilding every year then sign me up

I think Groce will continue to recruit high school players while also keeping a certain percentage of the roster for senior transfers. So there will still be some GT types that go the distance. Just not full recruiting classes like before. I agree that this makes maintaining a culture far more difficult.

Back when Toledo was last in the NCAA Tournament this would have been me waiting for a Banquet chicken pot pie to come out of the oven.

Now it's 2024 and things have changed. We live in the digital age. So this is me now waiting for the name of the latest Akron recruit to drop.

• Haha 1