2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

Enrique was a true 5 yr player. Ali probably could've received a medical red shirt during his year at Butler. At least I think that's right. 

IMO aside from the 20 team the one that leaves me with lots of "What if's" is the 22/23 team. 

Add Ali back to that mix as a 3rd option with X at point and you've got the makings of a top 25 team. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gozips19 said:

Enrique was a true 5 yr player. Ali probably could've received a medical red shirt during his year at Butler. At least I think that's right. 

IMO aside from the 20 team the one that leaves me with lots of "What if's" is the 22/23 team. 

Add Ali back to that mix as a 3rd option with X at point and you've got the makings of a top 25 team. 

2012-13, easily.

If Diggs doesn't get himself suspended in the offseason and Abreu doesn't do the same in March, I have no doubt that team wins a tournament game.

Despite losing two significant contributors, they still went 26-7 and won the MAC Championship in a blowout despite having a week to prepare to play without Abreu. Then they get the nightmare matchup against VCU and half the team was sick to top it off.

To me, they were no-doubt the greatest "what if" Zips team. That group was built to be special.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gozips19 said:

You only get 4 years of eligibility, not 5. Freeman's freshman wouldn't qualify as a redshirt as he played 7 games. Ali Ali played in more than 30% of Butler's games therefore wouldn't have qualified for a medical redshirt.

I know this is a tall ask, but if anyone knows off hand where I can find a full game video from the 2012-2013 Zips season I would appreciate it. My initial search on the inter-webs came up empty. The fact that they were ranked nationally at one point is impressive.

Also, been thinking about that 2020 team today obviously. Of Groce's teams thus far they were the group that had the most swagger. Not sure if it was a chip on their shoulder for not being recruited (Cheese, Banks and Reece were junior college transfers) or what, but those core guys were up for any challenge. Maybe that's why I think they had a special run in them.

15 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I know this is a tall ask, but if anyone knows off hand where I can find a full game video from the 2012-2013 Zips season I would appreciate it. My initial search on the inter-webs came up empty. The fact that they were ranked nationally at one point is impressive.

Also, been thinking about that 2020 team today obviously. Of Groce's teams thus far they were the group that had the most swagger. Not sure if it was a chip on their shoulder for not being recruited (Cheese, Banks and Reece were junior college transfers) or what, but those core guys were up for any challenge. Maybe that's why I think they had a special run in them.

I think this is one...some random videos from that account!

Box Score: 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=330332006

Edited by Zippy87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

You only get 4 years of eligibility, not 5. Freeman's freshman wouldn't qualify as a redshirt as he played 7 games. Ali Ali played in more than 30% of Butler's games therefore wouldn't have qualified for a medical redshirt.

You get 5yrs to play 4. He played 13 min his first year.  He would have qualified. 

The redshirt rule is never a line in the sand like it used to be. I bet with the nose, concussions,  and mental health he would have got it. 

@Zippy87

Totally agree that will always be the top "What if" team. They had it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gozips19 said:

You get 5yrs to play 4. He played 13 min his first year.  He would have qualified. 

The redshirt rule is never a line in the sand like it used to be. I bet with the nose, concussions,  and mental health he would have got it. 

@Zippy87

Totally agree that will always be the top "What if" team. They had it all.

College basketball is different than college football. If you play in any game, your redshirt is burned. Freeman played in 7. Here is an article from just this past season that states the rule.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/anthony-grant-on-college-basketball-redshirt-rule-its-antiquated-and-needs-to-change/CWFQ245OUVDNPEMHMLUMXOD5UE/

Ali played in half his teams games and the injury wasn't season ending. I don't see anyway he would have gotten approved for a medical redshirt, but we can agree to disagree.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Tyler Cheese was one of my favorite Zips on the fast break.  He would take anyone one on one and score on the break.  Almost unstoppable.

• Like 1

Wow. This should be fun. 

For those who don't know, Don Haskins is the legendary basketball coach that started the first ever all-black lineup in the championship game vs Adolph Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats in 1966. Texas Western (UTEP now) won the National Championship that year. His story is highlighted in Disney's hit movie - Glory Road. 

Jackson State's coach is still Mo Williams, and Yale is coming off yet another nice showing in March. Nice unique additions to the OOC schedule. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I could not remember who was on that team and looked up the roster.  Lots of talent but unfortunately lots of problems.  Four members of the team did not finish their careers in Akron or finish their careers, Harney, Tree, Abreu, and Forsyth.

11 hours ago, gozips19 said:

@kreed5120

I stand corrected. Thought that change was made across the board.  

To be fair, it's a terrible rule and should be changed. If college football players can play in up to four games in a much shorter season, I don't see why college basketball players shouldn't be allowed to play in up to 7-8 games.

10 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I could not remember who was on that team and looked up the roster.  Lots of talent but unfortunately lots of problems.  Four members of the team did not finish their careers in Akron or finish their careers, Harney, Tree, Abreu, and Forsyth.

That’s the challenge right? You want guys who are good teammates and represent the university well, but also play with a fierceness. It’s a tough balance and those players are hard to find. I thought this last years team could have used a little more dawg in their game. But they made up for it with experience and raw determination. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Pat Forsythe didn't? Pretty sure he played 1 year at WVU and 4 at UA.

29 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Pat Forsythe didn't? Pretty sure he played 1 year at WVU and 4 at UA.

I could be mistaken, but i believe hilltopper said Pat was asked to leave the team and didn't finish the 2016 season with the team.

32 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I could be mistaken, but i believe hilltopper said Pat was asked to leave the team and didn't finish the 2016 season with the team.

I don't remember the details either but  he definitely watched the MAC tournament from the stands his last year.  

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

To be fair, it's a terrible rule and should be changed. If college football players can play in up to four games in a much shorter season, I don't see why college basketball players shouldn't be allowed to play in up to 7-8 games.

players get in multiple games every year and get redshirted:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/daniel-utomi-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/deng-riak-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/lepear-toles-1.html

4 hours ago, gozips19 said:

I don't remember the details either but  he definitely watched the MAC tournament from the stands his last year.  

He had a shoulder injury about mid-season and refused to do the rehab required to get back on the court. Some family members convinced him that he might 

re-injure it and hurt his chances of playing in the NBA. They were convinced the coaching staff wasn't using him properly and he deserved to be the starting center, not Big Dog. He was a very soft player and by the end of the season the staff was done with his antics. He wasn't included on the post season roster.

Dumb. Not sure how Akron & Toledo aren't playing JMU/App State. 

Arkansas State finished a solid 20-17, 11-7 in conference. They beat Louisville (a 4th grade CYO team could've beaten Louisville last year) and destroyed UAB. They also beat Ohio, at Ohio, by 13. This is a respectable opponent, I'm just shocked the MAC and Sun Belt aren't trying to capitalize o

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

It's a bummer we didn't get JMU or App, but it's a decent team. Maybe after all the transfers are through they will be better this year than the other two. So now we have:

@Arkansas State
Northern Kentucky
UNLV
Neutral game vs Yale 
Neutral game vs either UTEP or Jacksonville State

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

It's a bummer we didn't get JMU or App, but it's a decent team. Maybe after all the transfers are through they will be better this year than the other two. So now we have:

@Arkansas State
Northern Kentucky
UNLV
Neutral game vs Yale 
Neutral game vs either UTEP or Jacksonville State

When was UNLV announced? As of last night, only the NKU and Don Haskins Sun Bowl games were on that website you provided. 

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Dumb. Not sure how Akron & Toledo aren't playing JMU/App State. 

Arkansas State finished a solid 20-17, 11-7 in conference. They beat Louisville (a 4th grade CYO team could've beaten Louisville last year) and destroyed UAB. They also beat Ohio, at Ohio, by 13. This is a respectable opponent, I'm just shocked the MAC and Sun Belt aren't trying to capitalize o

I don't know about App State or Arkansas State, but JMU lost their coach and pretty much their entire team. I don't view it as a missed opportunity.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't know about App State or Arkansas State, but JMU lost their coach and pretty much their entire team. I don't view it as a missed opportunity.

App State is in the same boat. Arkansas State is allegedly the conference favorites.

• Like 1