2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

I'm more bullish on the state of the program overall than I'm seeing from other posters, but there are some concerns, and the biggest one to me is this:

Going into the season, the book on the Zips was that their deep frontcourt would carry the team offensively; with the backcourt being thinner, and our best guard being both ineffective and uninterested in shooting behind the arc, this would be a team that bullies teams inside.

Instead, this team finished in the uppermost quartile in 3-pointers taken as a percentage of total field goal attempts (41.5%) despite ending up 274th in the country in 3PT%.

This makes me worried that Groce is not going to meaningfully adjust his approach to the game based on the personnel he has.  We still won that MAC largely because we had a generational talent in Freeman during a very down year for the MAC.  We backed into the championship and the tournament, and while we have never won in the tourney, this was our worst loss in it.   The was supposed to be one of the greatest Akron teams of all time.

So, if my complaint about Groce is fair, and endures...sure hope he finds some shooters!  But that gets me to the good news.  I do think Groce is a good recruiter and a good motivator, and for these reasons I'd be willing to wager that, whatever the consensus is on how Akron will fare next year once we have an idea of what our roster looks like, we will exceed those expectations.   

• Like 1

Something I would love Groce to look for is the power 5 bench player transfers. I have seen other schools do that and it gives you talent immediately. 

if you are sitting on the bench at a school like Illinois and get recuiter over. You can come to Akron hoping to be a star. NIL doesn’t matter since at Illinois you did get any money anyway and you are not a proven commodity sitting on the bench. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

Something I would love Groce to look for is the power 5 bench player transfers. I have seen other schools do that and it gives you talent immediately. 

if you are sitting on the bench at a school like Illinois and get recuiter over. You can come to Akron hoping to be a star. NIL doesn’t matter since at Illinois you did get any money anyway and you are not a proven commodity sitting on the bench. 

Very similar to Sammy, I like that approach. I would also like to see us back to looking in the JUCO portal like how we did with Banks, Cheese, Jermaine Marshall. Since we have so many openings, I want us to find a guy with 3 years of eligibility and solid tools and let them grow here

Our frontcourt next year is currently Amani Lyles, two redshirt freshmen in Baker and MMK, and a true freshman in Rich Brisco. I have to imagine we'll want to add at least one player to that mix (and Lyles may even be a portal candidate IMO).

I also think they pretty clearly need a guard who can create and score. 

The staff swung and missed on the two guards we added last year and can't afford to do that again this summer.

Edited by Zippy87

I don't think anyone is being overly critical. They're just acknowledging that Groce went all in with this team and now we have no pieces to really build around for next year. I don't have a problem that Groce went all in, but at the same time I'm not eagerly looking forward to next year.

Edit: that's not to say we can't compete in the future.

Edited by kreed5120

I'm very bullish on next year. On paper, we have the following...

Mikal Dawson - SR - G

Shammah Scott - SR - G

Nate Johnson - JR - G

Tavari Johnson - JR - G

Ryan Prather - SO - G

Sharron Young - FR - G

Eric Mahafey - FR - G

Amani Lyles - JR - F

Marvin Musiime-Kamali - RFR - F

Darrian Baker - RFR - F

Rich Brisco - FR - F

Admittedly, I know very little about Brisco and Marvin. I'm going to echo an earlier sentiment, though, and say that Sharron Young is a future star. He is potentially Mark Sears/RayJ Dennis caliber. Baker has star potential as well.

Dawson needs to find his game again.

Scott needs to improve his crap to be a mid-30s for 3P%. 

Nate Johnson needs to take the next step.

Tavari needs to improve everything. 

Prather needs to figure out whatever will get him on the floor more. 

The Transfer Portal needs to bring us a true big and a true shooter. Those are my wishes. Based on who we've been connected to this far, we're looking in the direction of a shooter at least. This is a very pivotal off-season to keep the momentum of this program moving forward. I trust Groce and his staff. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Not even close.  In 2013, we lost to VCU 88-42.

Holy hell, how did I forget about that one? Must've blocked it out.

7 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Scott needs to improve his crap to be a mid-30s for 3P%. 

A+ typo.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mrelegazna said:

Holy hell, how did I forget about that one? Must've blocked it out.

A+ typo.

The only explanation I can think of is shot turned into $#!@ and the board's censor correction changed $#@! to crap. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZipsFan31 said:

How quickly we forget Michael Wynn, Maishe Dailey and Bryan Trimble 

6 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Do we think we lose anyone to the portal? 

I don't know that I think Lyles is a D1 rotation player, but he's probably back because the depth there is so poor.

Lyles is a mystery. He has the body to bang down low but hasn't put it all together yet. The DI game might be a bit fast for him.

Tavari, Prather, and Lyles are the likely transfers IMO. However, I'm sure we'll have a surprise or 2. 

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The only explanation I can think of is shot turned into $#!@ and the board's censor correction changed $#@! to crap. 😂

Reminds me of an anecdote from one of the memoirs of Lewis Grizzard, a syndicated columnist in the 80s.

I'm paraphrasing because I can't find it online, but he was the sports editor of a paper that ran a story about a HS girls basketball star.

"What's amazing about Mary Jo Sue Ellen," said her coach, "is that she's made 18 of 20 of her free throw shots this year."

Except the o in shots got turned into an i and went to press like that.

"You idiot," said my boss.

"I'm suing," said Mary Jo Sue Ellen's dad.

"What about the other 2?" asked one guy who called in.

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Lyles is a mystery. He has the body to bang down low but hasn't put it all together yet. The DI game might be a bit fast for him.

Tavari, Prather, and Lyles are the likely transfers IMO. However, I'm sure we'll have a surprise or 2. 

I think Prather can play at this level. Tavari may come down to the team's plans for him next season.

19 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

I think Prather can play at this level. Tavari may come down to the team's plans for him next season.

I agree on Prather. The question is does he want to play at this level for the Zips? I hope so, but his lack of usage when we needed scoring was puzzling. 

Between graduating seniors and players already in the portal, every top MAC team is losing quite a bit.

Toledo is losing Cochran and Moss, the #2 and #3 scorers.

Kent is losing Sullinger, Santiago, Bass, Payton, and Freeman, so 4 of their top 5 scorers. 

Ohio loses Hunter, Brown, Wiznitzer, and Mitchell, so 3 of their top 4 scorers. 

BG loses Agee, Spurgin, Towns, Phillip, Thomas and Humphrey, so 5 of their top 6 scorers this year. 

It will come down to who does the best in the portal and Coach Groce can start every conversation with 2 of the last 3 MAC Championships, so I like our chances. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Between graduating seniors and players already in the portal, every top MAC team is losing quite a bit.

Toledo is losing Cochran and Moss, the #2 and #3 scorers.

Kent is losing Sullinger, Santiago, Bass, Payton, and Freeman, so 4 of their top 5 scorers. 

Ohio loses Hunter, Brown, Wiznitzer, and Mitchell, so 3 of their top 4 scorers. 

BG loses Agee, Spurgin, Towns, Phillip, Thomas and Humphrey, so 5 of their top 6 scorers this year. 

It will come down to who does the best in the portal and Coach Groce can start every conversation with 2 of the last 3 MAC Championships, so I like our chances. 

This is spot on. And depending on who stays, Akron has a good chance to have the best core returning. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

I don't think it's out of the question that groce could still be sought for a job in a multi bid league. And we barely got the 1 MAC bid this year.

16 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I don't think it's out of the question that groce could still be sought for a job in a multi bid league. And we barely got the 1 MAC bid this year.

Anytime you have a good coach at the mid-major level you have to worry about that. But given his father's health and where his kids are at in school, I don't think he's going to make another move right now.

I'm exhausted, but some quick points:

I'd be surprised if Lyles is back.  I think Tavari is 50/50.

Groce will bring in some help.  They're already probing the portal.  Also, that help will be in the form of unselfish kids who can be good teammates and play Groce ball, not merely kids with nice stats.  At Akron, it's about fit, not strictly numbers.

Shammah was very good in the last 3 weeks.  I don't at all consider him a waste and Groce clearly doesn't either with the way he used him in the last month. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This is spot on. And depending on who stays, Akron has a good chance to have the best core returning. 

To me the big unknowns are how much Baker and possibly Young can contribute next year. As of right now I'm penciling in Baker as a starter but Young could theoretically redshirt as Baker did this year.

Assuming nobody leaves, here's your pre-portal roster:

MMK/Lyles

Dawson/Prather Jr.

Baker

N. Johnson

Scott/T. Johnson

At least one experienced big is an absolute must IMO. You cant go into the season with Lyles and two RS freshmen. I also think they need a scoring guard and pushing Scott to a bench role. 

Transfer/MMK

Dawson/Prather Jr.

Baker/Lyles

N. Johnson/Scott

Transfer/T. Johnson

Maybe?