2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Thanks to CBS and the NCAA for scheduling the national championship at 9:20 p.m. ET on a weeknight.

Sounds like the same guys negotiated this that arranged the MAC weeknight football schedule.

Unfortunately, nothing new about it. Starting the women's game at 3pm yesterday seemed strange, too.

Edited by ewbrooman1

15 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Unfortunately, nothing new about it. Starting the women's game at 3pm yesterday seemed strange, too.

Yes, and I've never quite understood it.  

I had no problem with the women's time.  I understand it may have had better viewership than the men's for the first time in history.

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yes, and I've never quite understood it.  

I had no problem with the women's time.  I understand it may have had better viewership than the men's for the first time in history.

And unless they have another Caitlin Clark come along, it'll probably be the only time. She was worth every ounce of coverage. Fantastic player. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zippy87 said:

Jim was the Associate Athletic Director - he was not an assistant coach. It was the weirdest coaching arrangement I've ever seen. 

Was JC on the bench during the rap video incident? Or is the Pinky Circus about to get wild again?

17 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If you’re looking for Akron tie-ins to the championship game tonight-

Fletcher Loyer is the son of former mid-80’s Zips player John Loyer.

Our own @ZipWatcher holds degrees from both UConn and Purdue.

It is remarkable that someone who can (justifiably) root for national powerhouses such as Purdue and UConn chooses to be a Zips fan.

Go Zips!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

But he can prove he bleeds blue blood at the Kentucky fan cult meetings.

S_fobc.gif

Kentucky fans doing mental gymnastics to defend this hire when they claimed before Calipari making 7 Elite 8s in 14 tournaments wasn't winning enough.

https://tenor.com/x5LA.gif

I feel blue bloods, at least in basketball (where you only need 2-3 studs), don't mean as much these days as before the NIL days. Kids are going to care more about securing a bag than going to some storied program that they didn't even grow up cheering for. That enables programs with deep pocketed boosters (Arkansas, Oregon, Texas A&M, etc) an opportunity to narrow the gap if they choose to do so.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Kentucky fans doing mental gymnastics to defend this hire when they claimed before Calipari making 7 Elite 8s in 14 tournaments wasn't winning enough.

I feel blue bloods, at least in basketball (where you only need 2-3 studs), don't mean as much these days as before the NIL days. Kids are going to care more about securing a bag than going to some storied program that they didn't even grow up cheering for. That enables programs with deep pocketed boosters (Arkansas, Oregon, Texas A&M, etc) an opportunity to narrow the gap if they choose to do so.

Add Illinois to that list. 

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

That’s awful. He acts like a high school recruit and does it BYU’s gym. I would be pissed as a BYU fan. 

Give the guy a break. He's just happy he can pitch booze, smoking, and sex to recruits again. 

Quite frankly, BYU fans are probably semi OK with this. The guy never won a tourney game and finished 5th or lower in the conference 5+(?) times. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Give the guy a break. He's just happy he can pitch booze, smoking, and sex to recruits again. 

In that case, they should have went Rick Pitino. He's a vastly more proven coach and it would pee off your main rival. A win-win.

Edited by kreed5120

Okay, now I’m getting anxious too. I’m refreshing this forum way too often for a healthy, well-balanced individual. So maybe I’m not that. Ha!!

I believe Groce waits to announce his full class of recruits together once he’s done. I hope the longer he takes is a sign of a successful haul. 🙏🤞

• Like 1