2024 Preseason Thread

No one gets mad that you can’t pay with a check at sporting events or concerts. It’s just what the venue wants to accept. There is no law that states anywhere has to accept cash, they just have to accept some form of US currency, and that would be credit/debit. Who was paying in cash at games in the first place?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

No one gets mad that you can’t pay with a check at sporting events or concerts. It’s just what the venue wants to accept. There is no law that states anywhere has to accept cash, they just have to accept some form of US currency, and that would be credit/debit. Who was paying in cash at games in the first place?

Boomers and drug dealers are all I can think of.

1 hour ago, Reslife4Life said:

Ohio schools must accept cash, new Ohio law states.

How this only applies to high schools and not colleges is beyond me, but not accepting cash is a dumb shift in society. Since when is having a bank a must or risk being barred from society (the last people who risked being barred from society - anti-vaxx/masks - ended up being correct)? People used to think for themselves and even question banks (gasp). Now we're forcing everyone to be beholden to the banks? If someone chooses not to use a bank, but has cash, they should be allowed to attend a Zips game. With "inclusivity" being at the forefront of social agendas, it's a hypocritical decision to refuse service to those who wish to use cash. Kent State level of stupidity & hypocrisy.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

(the last people who risked being barred from society - anti-vaxx/masks - ended up being correct)?

If by correct you mean dead or seriously ill for no reason, then OK. I do agree they should continue accepting cash, but come on.

14 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Barred from society lol

These people all used cards their whole lives and now that they "have to" they want to rebel against whoever the boogeyman that's behind whatever movement this is. 

I use cards all the time - very rarely do I carry much cash, if any at all. The issue isn't how often cards are used. The issue is why there's a movement to not accept legal tender. Who does it harm to accept cash vs. who does it benefit not to accept cash? 

Would be a damn shame if our attendance wasn't able to increase by 20% because 2 people only had cash to pay for tickets. "Sorry, we only accept cashless forms of payment. As you can see by the 99% empty stadium, we have grounds to refuse entry to those without credit or debit cards."

• Like 2

What we need now is a co-branded Akron Zips/Amex credit card with 5x rewards points on all Zips-related purchases, 80,000 bonus points for spending $3,000 in the first six months and your choice of Zips logo designs on the card.

• Like 4

Cashless transactions have become the industry standard and is designed to improve the pre-game and gameday experiences for all fans by reducing wait time in lines at a ticket window, concessions area, or merchandise store/stand.  In addition to getting fans to their seat sooner, cashless transactions promotes the overall health, security, and public safety of fans.

https://gozips.com/news/2024/7/5/football-akron-athletics-announces-cashless-transactions-at-all-athletic-events-for-the-2024-25-season

• Thumbs down 1

4 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Cashless transactions have become the industry standard and is designed to improve the pre-game and gameday experiences for all fans by reducing wait time in lines at a ticket window, concessions area, or merchandise store/stand.  In addition to getting fans to their seat sooner, cashless transactions promotes the overall health, security, and public safety of fans.

https://gozips.com/news/2024/7/5/football-akron-athletics-announces-cashless-transactions-at-all-athletic-events-for-the-2024-25-season

Sick and tired of corporate spins to push 🐂💩. None of that is remotely factual or sensible. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

What we need now is a co-branded Akron Zips/Amex credit card with 5x rewards points on all Zips-related purchases, 80,000 bonus points for spending $3,000 in the first six months and your choice of Zips logo designs on the card.

All for this. That would be badass. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:00 PM, monrowe said:

Mr Paul Lewis III and Mr Joey Hunter both transferred in. Mr Devonte Golden-Nelson and  Mr Darrian Lewis who was  the one  dominating.

bro Lewis plays in the slot and Nelson was the #1 corner what are you talking about

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is a nice, feel-good post, but it's not based in reality. It seems to me it's based on someone not able to believe that Joe Mo could have another team below .500. Until I see better evidence I'm sticking to my 4 win prediction this season. Please prove me wrong Joe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

This is a nice, feel-good post, but it's not based in reality. It seems to me it's based on someone not able to believe that Joe Mo could have another team below .500. Until I see better evidence I'm sticking to my 4 win prediction this season. Please prove me wrong Joe.

I was enthusiastic until I saw UMass.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

😑

The obvious takeaway is Kent State sucks 

This is good news, bad news. The bad news is we are not well thought of. The good news is we are so far down the list we aren't very visible. 

• Sad 1

On 7/18/2024 at 5:47 AM, Blue & Gold said:

There’s definitely a chance for Akron and UMASS to go bowling. There have been a number of similarities between the two football programs. Both rosters were the worst in college football when Moorhead and Brown took over. 

Looking at Akron:

Likely losses: Ohio State, Rutgers, South Carolina

Most Likely Wins: Colgate, Kent State, Buffalo 

Would need 3 from: Ohio, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo

Looking at UMASS

Likely Losses: Missouri, Mississippi State, Georgia

Most Likely Wins: Central Connecticut, Wagner, Buffalo

Would need 3 from: Eastern Michigan, Toledo, Miami (OH), Northern Illinois, Liberty, UCONN

I haven’t followed MTSU enough to have much of an opinion.

• Like 2

ESPN+ has Mac media day replay on demand. Zips segment starts at little after 2:05.

mostly coach speak/stuff we already know:

- need to get the run game going. Simmons has been doing good so far

- Finley won games at NC st and Cal. He’s looked good so far

- safeties/CBs might have most depth and competition on the team. I think this is good to hear considering DL and LB group is a little more proven with returners form last year.

- Joe keeps it real with the scheduling talk. Definitely acknowledges the difficulty of OOC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

ESPN+ has Mac media day replay on demand. Zips segment starts at little after 2:05.

mostly coach speak/stuff we already know:

- need to get the run game going. Simmons has been doing good so far

- Finley won games at NC st and Cal. He’s looked good so far

- safeties/CBs might have most depth and competition on the team. I think this is good to hear considering DL and LB group is a little more proven with returners form last year.

- Joe keeps it real with the scheduling talk. Definitely acknowledges the difficulty of OOC.

I was surprised to hear him say the secondary has the most depth. It feels like the situation we had along the DL last year in that we knew the talent level had been increased, but didn’t know how it would play out. If the secondary can take a step forward like the DL did, this defense should be one of the best in the conference.

I was disappointed to hear there is still an ongoing competition at QB. Seemed like the spring game made it pretty obvious who the best QB was. Might be a situation where they are still hoping Bullock makes a leap in progression before the season begins? 

• Like 1