Our Seniors: Reggie, Jake & Pat

1 hour ago, RooYahoo said:

Wonder why Pat's name isn't mentioned in Coach D's quotes? Confused.

If Dambrot wrote the column, I'd say it was a slight to Pat. But a reporter did, and I'm guessing there was some editing...and maybe lack-of-attention-to-detail involved.

I feel bad for Pat. No one wants to finish their career in street clothes. But someone had to uphold "The Curse of the Zips Starters." It was his destiny, like Robotham, Treadwell, Abreu, Diggs...

Life ain't fair.

It seemed like the emphasis was on Jake and Reggie because they played 4 years, and because they were members of that last tournament title team as freshmen in 2013.

EDIT:

It's funny how I just typed this and completely forgot that Pat got back his freshman year a 2nd time because of a medical redshirt, and DID still play 4 years after transferring. 

Edited by skip-zip

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It seemed like the emphasis was on Jake and Reggie because they played 4 years, and because they were members of that last tournament title team as freshmen in 2013.

Pat played 4 years and was Zeke's back up on that 2013 tournament title team...

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If Dambrot wrote the column, I'd say it was a slight to Pat. But a reporter did, and I'm guessing there was some editing...and maybe lack-of-attention-to-detail involved.

I feel bad for Pat. No one wants to finish their career in street clothes. But someone had to uphold "The Curse of the Zips Starters." It was his destiny, like Robotham, Treadwell, Abreu, Diggs...

Life ain't fair.

Oh my gosh, I didn't even look at it from that point. That is great. You're so right! Curse of the Zips!

5 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I think in the last few games Reggie has played his way into a post College career someplace.

Reggie will most likely be back next season as a grad assistant. He still has a year left to finish his engineering degree, its a 5 year program.

8 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

Maybe there's a reason

I keep thinking the same thing. I'm no doctor but why have surgery now? It can't get any worse and he could gut out 10 min a game. I played multiple sports with a torn labrum so I know it can be done.  

That said all three seniors were fantastic Zips. 

16 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

I keep thinking the same thing. I'm no doctor but why have surgery now? It can't get any worse and he could gut out 10 min a game.

I can tell you that this was exactly what they were trying to do after it happened.  Get about 10 min. a game out of him. They even considered the option of giving him a shot. 

But, it all depended on the extent of the damage, which obviously ended up being too much to make that happen. 

2 hours ago, gozips19 said:

I keep thinking the same thing. I'm no doctor but why have surgery now? It can't get any worse and he could gut out 10 min a game. I played multiple sports with a torn labrum so I know it can be done.  

Yep. It all comes down to the individual going through it.  

Edited by UAZip0510

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna sit at my keyboard and judge anyone for not playing through a ton of pain

Agreed. Shoulder injuries are no joke, especially when you play a position where your arms are constantly up either calling for the ball, rebounding, or putting up mini-hook shots. Look at Aaron Jackson. His shoulder injury is to a lesser extent, but the guy is always running to the bench with a limp arm after making a play.

This thread is about thanking our seniors, not questioning their heart and toughness. Thank you Jake, Reggie, and Pat! Go finish your careers in the Big Dance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Agreed. Shoulder injuries are no joke, especially when you play a position where your arms are constantly up either calling for the ball, rebounding, or putting up mini-hook shots. Look at Aaron Jackson. His shoulder injury is to a lesser extent, but the guy is always running to the bench with a limp arm after making a play.

This thread is about thanking our seniors, not questioning their heart and toughness. Thank you Jake, Reggie, and Pat! Go finish your careers in the Big Dance.

Don't forget setting screens, sealing your player, and I saw a lot of cheap shots underneath by Kent State last night. 

Thanks, Seniors!!

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Pat.  This season showed so much promise for him, but he just never got on track with the injuries.  I'm not on the inside to know, but the kid has always seemed to play hard and without that kind of inside info I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and not resort to conjecture. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2016 at 11:29 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Life ain't fair.

What do you mean finish their career in street clothes?