Jump to content

New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition


GoZips86
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, LZIp said:

In my mind, the whole point of firing early is so that you can begin your search early. Guthrie needs to make a quick hire after the season concludes, and hire somebody who is going to focus on being HC of the Akron Zips right away and not wait until after a bowl season or playoffs. Early signing day is the 15th and we've seen the majority of players sign in this period the past few years. New coach needs all the time he can get to salvage this class or his first year will essentially be "year 0" like Arth's since he was hired so late.

I’m thinking they are still doing interviews now and wrapping up this weekend on final candidates. My guess is out of respect for the current staff and final game this Saturday.  They will come to a decision next week to jump on recruiting and putting a staff together. My guess is that they are taking this search more seriously this time and spend more time to get the right hire this time around. My guess with that football scoop article they have several former div 1 coaches on that list that they will go with experience HC trying to rebound their career. Another Bowden type hire that knows how to recruit and knows how to win at div 1 level. Hope I’m right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The article is interesting. I wouldn’t really be blown away with excitement by too many of the guys on that list. I’d be pumped about Getsy, but he seems like more of an afterthought after reading that. I’m just ready to get this last game over with and move on. The future is now, and the quicker the guy gets in his office, the better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

The article is interesting. I wouldn’t really be blown away with excitement by too many of the guys on that list. I’d be pumped about Getsy, but he seems like more of an afterthought after reading that. I’m just ready to get this last game over with and move on. The future is now, and the quicker the guy gets in his office, the better. 

Petrino and Polian...ugh...at least from me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You certainly don't want them to be hasty, but the sooner they get someone in the position the better.  With Arth they had that makeup South Carolina game then took their time and it really put the program behind.

 

The new guy needs to get in there, start establishing relationships with the viable players on the roster (all 4 of them!) and get out on the recruiting trail. This could also be another big transfer portal year with all of the coach movement and he needs to start accessing that pool of talent along with the JUCO talent.  He needs to be a John Groce, a guy who figures out a away to keep the program viable while building it back up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure I trust that FootballScoop has credible "multiple sources" on this.

Did it come from the known liar himself?!?

 

Quote

Additionally, multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Bobby Petrino – the former Atlanta Falcons, Arkansas Razorbacks and Louisville Cardinals head coach – is another name to monitor for the Zips' vacancy. Petrino has his current program, Missouri State, into the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs for the second time this calendar year; the Bears also earned a playoff berth in the spring season.

 

In case anyone doesn't know, or needs a good refresher on Bobby's controversies, click here.

 

Hard to believe this was 2012 

 

I'm fairly confident Bobby is not the right hire for Akron.  You can cross him off the list Mr Guthrie. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, akrzips2012 said:

I’m thinking they are still doing interviews now and wrapping up this weekend on final candidates. My guess is out of respect for the current staff and final game this Saturday.  They will come to a decision next week to jump on recruiting and putting a staff together. My guess is that they are taking this search more seriously this time and spend more time to get the right hire this time around. My guess with that football scoop article they have several former div 1 coaches on that list that they will go with experience HC trying to rebound their career. Another Bowden type hire that knows how to recruit and knows how to win at div 1 level. Hope I’m right.

Again, they pretty much have to wait until these other schools finish their regular seasons at least. If an assistant is taking a head coaching job the school would likely release him prior to any bowl game. I still keep liking the idea of bringing in someone who has had some fairly successful head coaching experience elsewhere. Not Petrino! Don't need his crap here. Got enough problems here.

How old is Doc Holliday? How long has he been retired. That's an interesting name to me. 

Things may start to crystallize a little after this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I’m not super excited about the names that seem to be in serious consideration, but that doesn’t mean they won’t/can’t be successful. The article also confirmed we are yet again using a search firm.

The search firms allow for confidentiality.   Otherwise,  GT could get a public records request for emails and documents relating to search.   I think in this situation...maybe more warranted than others.   How about announcing Holliday as coach during the Marshall basketball game?  Too cute by half?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We should know by Saturday night whether Dino Babers is available. It's doubtful 'Cuse will be bowl eligible this year.

 

Babers, kind of a flop at 'Cuse, but, like I said in another threat (or earlier in this one, Idk) I daydream about him doing for us what he did for BUGS.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Again, they pretty much have to wait until these other schools finish their regular seasons at least. If an assistant is taking a head coaching job the school would likely release him prior to any bowl game. I still keep liking the idea of bringing in someone who has had some fairly successful head coaching experience elsewhere. Not Petrino! Don't need his crap here. Got enough problems here.

How old is Doc Holliday? How long has he been retired. That's an interesting name to me. 

Things may start to crystallize a little after this weekend.

 

If he hadn't died in 1887, John Henry "Doc" Holliday would have turned 170 last August.

Edited by Zipmeister
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

 

If he hadn't died in 1887, John Henry "Doc" Holliday would have turned 170 last August.

So anyone who actually knows the answer to my honest question, please tell me when Holliday ,'retired' and how old he might be at this point.  Was not looking for a 'cute' answer', which this was not. Honestly don't know. Oh by the way .... ...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

 

If he hadn't died in 1887, John Henry "Doc" Holliday would have turned 170 last August.

By the way, he is 5 years younger than I am. Looks like he has only been out of coaching since 2020? Lets see, any other retreads who have come in here who have been 'elderly'? And ya I get the whole Wyatt Earp, Tombstone thing. Duh. Maybe we can dig up Bobby or Woody or Bo or PB.

Edited by Lee Adams
add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

So anyone who actually knows the answer to my honest question, please tell me when Holliday ,'retired' and how old he might be at this point.  Was not looking for a 'cute' answer', which this was not. Honestly don't know. Oh by the way .... ...!

I believe Doc is 64 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

So anyone who actually knows the answer to my honest question, please tell me when Holliday ,'retired' and how old he might be at this point.  Was not looking for a 'cute' answer', which this was not. Honestly don't know. Oh by the way .... ...!

I hear Google and Wikipedia work well.

Edited by NWAkron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please no Petrino. He is a morally bankrupt coach, who knows how to win. And then he sets back programs. IMO DocHolliday is not the answer. Gotta admit I like Getsy a lot. We need to feel good about this hire and rally around him ASAP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Marshall fan here is my take on Doc:

Good Guy

Great recruiter

Conservative Play

 

Doc is a great guy but he isn't the dynamic coach that is going to be in the middle of everything. He also will not show any emotion on the sideline unless provoked for it, very stoic. You could be up 30 or down 30 and he will look the same. That can be a plus at times.

 

If Doc was hired at Akron I can almost bet that Akron recruiting wouldn't be 10-12 each year. The guy knows how to recruit and he has for many years. All but 3 of his classes at Marshall was in the Top 3 with 7 at #1 in the conference. The other 3 he was top heavy on the Big Uglies on both lines.

 

If you want a risk taking coach Doc isn't the man. He was mentored by Don Nehlen one of if not the most conservative coaches Ive ever seen. You won't see him going for it on 4th and 3 at your 35 often. He once punted on our own 35 because it was 4th and 7 and our FG kicker had already missed 3 FGs. Lucky for him it was the right call, ball ended up inside the 1 and a safety happened on the next play.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BigGreenTruck said:

As a Marshall fan here is my take on Doc:

Good Guy

Great recruiter

Conservative Play

 

Doc is a great guy but he isn't the dynamic coach that is going to be in the middle of everything. He also will not show any emotion on the sideline unless provoked for it, very stoic. You could be up 30 or down 30 and he will look the same. That can be a plus at times.

 

If Doc was hired at Akron I can almost bet that Akron recruiting wouldn't be 10-12 each year. The guy knows how to recruit and he has for many years. All but 3 of his classes at Marshall was in the Top 3 with 7 at #1 in the conference. The other 3 he was top heavy on the Big Uglies on both lines.

 

If you want a risk taking coach Doc isn't the man. He was mentored by Don Nehlen one of if not the most conservative coaches Ive ever seen. You won't see him going for it on 4th and 3 at your 35 often. He once punted on our own 35 because it was 4th and 7 and our FG kicker had already missed 3 FGs. Lucky for him it was the right call, ball ended up inside the 1 and a safety happened on the next play.

I like!  Jim Tressel was very conservative play caller but he also depended on his punter and defense to do their jobs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...