Talking Tressel

bobbyake

Hearing that something important is happening around lunchtime at the Martin Center.

What's the Martin Center (excuse me if this is a dumb question)?

The martin center is a banquet hall too. It's where the Varsity A Association inducts the Akron sports hall of fame inductees every year.

It's a really nice traditional building.

UA Website

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook Note from ESPN intern

I talked to a source and here is what im hearing as far as the Akron Head Coaching Job

People Who have been Contacted

Toledo OC- MAtt Campbell

Former OSU HC- Jim Tressell (used to be GA here got masters from here)

Other Candiates

Iowa St HC Paul Rhodes (wont happen)

Iowa St OC Tom Herman

Wayne St (D II) HC Paul Winters (former player here under Lee Owens)

Was a candidate

OSU Interm HC- Luke Fickell (fianlist when Ianello got job, lost out on final interview)

Just thought i'd share.

ESPN intern is a little off on the facts. Winters was OC for Lee Owens. He played RB for Jim Dennison.

IF Jim Tressel is on campus, it is more likely that he is advising on how to form the search committee, or participating as a consultant to the committee. Afterall, has already taken consulting jobs since leaving OSU, so this is not at all out of his current role.

Akron will not hire Jim Tressel as its head coach. Not that they would not want to hire him or that we would not accept the job(which he might). The reason is that Jim Tressel is going to be hit with a "show cause" penalty by the NCAA. The same penalty that Bruce Pearl was hit with. Basically this penalty makes the coach toxic for however long the NCAA decided the length of the penalty will be. Bruce Pearl, for example, got hit with 3 years. This means that if a school would like to hire that coach, they would have to have a hearing before the NCAA explaining why they would want to hire a coach who is currently under penalty by the NCAA. The point of the "show-cause" penalty is to punish coaches who broke NCAA rules and dissuade other schools from hiring them during this time period. If a school knows all of this and STILL wants to hire that coach, they would have to have a pretty convincing argument to the NCAA why that particular coach is the ONLY coach that the institution could possible hire. That being said, the NCAA can't prevent a school for hiring anyone. However, they can hit the school with the same penalties that they levied against a coach who broke rules at a different school. If Tressel could just leave OSU and face no further punishment, don't you think his name would be coming up for some of the more high profile jobs? A coach with 1 NC and 2 other NC Game appearances, 7 straight Big Ten titles, and and average of 10 wins per season would have his pick of choice jobs. Its not like Bruce Pearl just decided that he didn't want to coach anymore. After 3 years passes and his punishment is lifted, he will be right back on the sidelines coaching someone.

Are you on the NCAA sanctions board? Wow I feel kind of honored to have you posting here. So you're say the quarter million dollar fine and the year away from the game isn't enough?

The NCAA is the biggest bunch of hypocrites on the planet -- they'd rather suspend players and coaches instead of fixing a problem. On top of that how the "F" long does it take for yout to make a judgement on someone?

You could be right. It's the million dollar question hanging over Tressel.

HOWEVER.......

If UA and Tressel discussions have progressed to the point suggested on this board and a couple of media outlets, I have to imagine this has been contemplated by both sides already. That raises a few questions in my mind.

1. Why would Tressel publicly flirt with ANY coaching positon while still awaiting the final NCAA ruling (OSU has been told final rendering by mid-December)? Wouldn't his lawyers advise him not to taunt the NCAA, unless they know the NCAA would not be angered?

2. Why would The University of Akron engage in serious discussions with Tressel (assuming they are) if they have serious concerns that they NCAA is going to come down hard on Tressel?

3. Separately, and while it does not necessarily concern the situation with Tressel specifically, it seems relevant. Why would Urban Meyer take the OSU job if he didn't have some indication of how hard the NCAA is going to come down on the program there?

Is it possible that that attorneys from all the parties have been talking, perhaps unofficially or through side channels? I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I know a bit about how business works. To me, it does not seem out of the realm of possibility that the parties involved might have some insight on this topic already.

Frankly, I would be appalled if either Tressel or The University of Akron had not contemplated and investigated this prior to discussions and calculated it into any decision to engage, or to the timing of publicly acknowledging the talks (which they do not seem to have done yet, BTW).

I'm not convinced that Tressel is a serious candidate for the Akron job. I'm also not suggesting the Show Cause is not a genuine threat. I'm just saying I can't believe Tressel, UA, or their respective attorneys would be in discussions without having researched the topic.

With all due respect, zip13, making definitive statements--like you know 100% for certain--that something will or will not happen is exactly why half the members on this board, plus Mike Rasor, have egg on their faces today. They said "There's no way Akron will fire Ianello and eat 3 years."

Fact is, if Akron had to "show cause" why they'd hire Jim Tressel, I'd direct them to our record the past 5 years, the empty stadium, the bottom of the BCS polls, the fan revolt and serious loss of income. If the NCAA truly is so ignorant that they don't feel a quality man and coach like Jim Tressel could remedy this situation, then the organization needs to be disbanded. Frankly, they're fortunate some higher authority hasn't already disbanded the corrupt NCAA.

Furthermore, at back-to-back 1-11 seasons, I'd be willing to give up any "bowl appearances" for two years up front, if that's what it took to bring Tressel to campus. In other words, there is no roadblock that would stop me in pursuing and hiring Jim Tressel here. It's the perfect fit and the answer to our decades-long problem. The NCAA really needs to turn its attention to sex scandals, point-shaving, and other tawdry messes across the country...and leave The University of Akron to hire the best coach on the market: Jim Tressel.

So until we hear something definitive from a more reliable source than a total newcomer to this board, how about keeping your negative theories to yourself?

Akron will not hire Jim Tressel as its head coach. Not that they would not want to hire him or that we would not accept the job(which he might). The reason is that Jim Tressel is going to be hit with a "show cause" penalty by the NCAA. The same penalty that Bruce Pearl was hit with. Basically this penalty makes the coach toxic for however long the NCAA decided the length of the penalty will be. Bruce Pearl, for example, got hit with 3 years. This means that if a school would like to hire that coach, they would have to have a hearing before the NCAA explaining why they would want to hire a coach who is currently under penalty by the NCAA. The point of the "show-cause" penalty is to punish coaches who broke NCAA rules and dissuade other schools from hiring them during this time period. If a school knows all of this and STILL wants to hire that coach, they would have to have a pretty convincing argument to the NCAA why that particular coach is the ONLY coach that the institution could possible hire. That being said, the NCAA can't prevent a school for hiring anyone. However, they can hit the school with the same penalties that they levied against a coach who broke rules at a different school. If Tressel could just leave OSU and face no further punishment, don't you think his name would be coming up for some of the more high profile jobs? A coach with 1 NC and 2 other NC Game appearances, 7 straight Big Ten titles, and and average of 10 wins per season would have his pick of choice jobs. Its not like Bruce Pearl just decided that he didn't want to coach anymore. After 3 years passes and his punishment is lifted, he will be right back on the sidelines coaching someone.

If he wants the job, we will hire him........penalties or no penalties. You want to talk about toxic.....how toxic is our football program right now. We need to make this happen, it is a dream come true that can right the ship. He is a good man, well respected who paid the price for not disclosing kids trading jerseys and rings for tattoos. Sorry, but I think there are alot worse things you could be accused of (see Penn State).

Is he the only coach for us...........ABSOLUTELY.........this is a rare opportunity.

Money - I don't think I am overstating this but he could potentially help us sell out Infocision for the entire year (especially with a good start to the season). That (along with being a terrible football team) is what is and will prevent us from ever being considered to go to a better conference. With the conferences realigning, we have got to make a move NOW or it is back to 1AA (or whatever it is called). If that happens, you just wasted a shit load of money on a new state of the art stadium. If we go to a bigger conference, we will get more money by being in the conference and attendance will be boosted even more because the quality of the teams will improve.

Recruiting - I can assure you there are young men out there in the state of Ohio that have grown up dreaming to play for Jim Tressel. He is our best chance to get some decent recruits in quickly.

We need to start winning. I won't post his records but they are impressive......showing turnarounds and national championships.

Lowlights from the last 2 years

11/25/2011 Kalamazoo, Mich. Western Michigan 68, Akron 19

11/19/2011 Buffalo, N.Y. Buffalo 51, Akron 10

11/12/2011 Akron, Ohio Can't State 35, Akron 3

11/03/2011 Oxford, Ohio Miami (Ohio) 35, Akron 3

09/17/2011 Cincinnati, Ohio Cincinnati 59, Akron 14

09/10/2011 Akron, Ohio Temple 41, Akron 3

09/03/2011 Columbus, Ohio Ohio State 42, Akron 0

10/30/10 Philadelphia, Pa. Temple 30, Akron 0

10/23/10 Akron, Ohio Western Michigan 56, Akron 10

10/16/10 Athens, Ohio Ohio 38, Akron 10

10/09/10 Can't, Ohio Can't State 28, Akron 17

10/02/10 Akron, Ohio Northern Illinois 50, Akron 14

Wins in last 2 years (WOW, impressive) :puke:

09/24/2011 Akron, Ohio Akron 36, VMI 13

11/26/10 Akron, Ohio Akron 22, Buffalo 14

With all due respect, zip13, making definitive statements--like you know 100% for certain--that something will or will not happen is exactly why half the members on this board, plus Mike Rasor, have egg on their faces today. They said "There's no way Akron will fire Ianello and eat 3 years."

Fact is, if Akron had to "show cause" why they'd hire Jim Tressel, I'd direct them to our record the past 5 years, the empty stadium, the bottom of the BCS polls, the fan revolt and serious loss of income. If the NCAA truly is so ignorant that they don't feel a quality man and coach like Jim Tressel could remedy this situation, then the organization needs to be disbanded. Frankly, they're fortunate some higher authority hasn't already disbanded the corrupt NCAA.

Furthermore, at back-to-back 1-11 seasons, I'd be willing to give up any "bowl appearances" for two years up front, if that's what it took to bring Tressel to campus. In other words, there is no roadblock that would stop me in pursuing and hiring Jim Tressel here. It's the perfect fit and the answer to our decades-long problem. The NCAA really needs to turn its attention to sex scandals, point-shaving, and other tawdry messes across the country...and leave The University of Akron to hire the best coach on the market: Jim Tressel.

So until we hear something definitive from a more reliable source than a total newcomer to this board, how about keeping your negative theories to yourself?

Maybe Tressel maybe not. Figure it out and move on. It is pretty obvious that nobody around here knows with 100% certainty what was going to happen with Ianello nor what is going to happen regarding the next coach. Again,they can make an 'offer' to anyone. And its not a matter of anyone having egg on their faces because they couldn't guess that the last coach was going to be fired or who is going to be hired.I didn't 'think' he would get fired. Many thought he 'should' have been fired including myself. This type of stuff is supposed to be fun for the people who post here. Its opinion. I hope its not a matter of having to 'prove' oneself here because this is at the bottom of my priority list when it comes to things that are really important.

Have fun with it.

Maybe Tressel maybe not. Figure it out and move on. It is pretty obvious that nobody around here knows with 100% certainty what was going to happen with Ianello nor what is going to happen regarding the next coach. Again,they can make an 'offer' to anyone. And its not a matter of anyone having egg on their faces because they couldn't guess that the last coach was going to be fired or who is going to be hired.I didn't 'think' he would get fired. Many thought he 'should' have been fired including myself. This type of stuff is supposed to be fun for the people who post here. Its opinion. I hope its not a matter of having to 'prove' oneself here because this is at the bottom of my priority list when it comes to things that are really important.

Have fun with it.

It's one thing to say "I doubt so-and-so will happen," and quite another to state as fact "This will not happen."

Isn't this fun?

So many opinions. So few facts.

One man's name comes to mind. Jerry Tarkanian. He beat the NCAA

at their own game. Took them to court and kept them there for five

years. Then, when he retired let the NCAA sanction him as he walked

off the stage.

Can the University of Akron learn from UNLV and the other fabulous Mr. T?

Lake County Sentinel

Jim Tressel, confirmed by a source at the University of Akron was at the men’s basketball game against Detroit last Saturday night. The same source says that officials from the University will be meeting with Tressel on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week

popcorn.gif

nice icon, popcorn.gif

Akron is going to be the center of media attention soon.

Isn't this fun?

off the stage.

:thumb:

Isn't this fun?

off the stage.

What's funnier is that yesterday someone here said Akron should hire Ron Zook instead. Uh-huh. :john:

Akron has zero to lose in hiring Jim Tressel. Everything is upside. EVERYTHING. When your program has been off the map this long and is at such a low point on the field and in the stands, the appearance of an icon is like an oasis in the desert.

Keep in mind one phrase that Wistrcill kept using over and over in his statement to the media following Ianello's exit: "the student-athlete experience." The college experience for the kids. To my knowledge, no one has ever stressed the importance of that more than Tressel, as reflected in the many traditions he led the team in at OSU.

So does anyone know what the scoop is on this supposed event at the Martin Center today? What time it will occur, or any proof that it's even happening?

It seems to me that if they were going to announce that they were hiring Tressel at this event, a lot of media would have been alerted to be there and the news would have leaked by now.

A little more fuel for the fire.

I remain with GP1 on some of this. And somewhat skeptical on the whole thing .. but if he were coming in just to take part in a search committee .. wouldn't that have been clarified by one side or the other by now?

I do have a big concern about all of this. If for *whatever* reason, JT is not the coach (he's not interested, UA can't afford, whatever), will Zips fans be able to be upbeat, optimistic or excited about ANY other coach that fills the vacant HC position? Any one? I worry that all of this exuberance over an internet rumor will put whomever is ultimately hired behind the 8-ball on fan opinion before he even puts on the blue & gold tie for his introductory press conference. This could end up being very poisonous for the program, and it's somewhat out of the program's control.

Go Zips!

Quote from the article you linked:

"It has also rumored that the board of donations at the University of Akron are pushing hard for Tressel to coach the Zips football team, who went 2-22 under former coach Rob Ianello, who was fired after two years on Saturday."

Mrs. Freud, about your slip................. Board of Donations................... :D