Zips @ NIU — Feb 13 at 4:30 pm

Dr Z

Zips vs Huskies  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gee sorry about that 

Being 75 and out of town have not been on zips nation for a while

however I don't miss a game on radio, computer or TV for many many years

supportive alumnus

first year I have not attended games night driving not so good

having coached many many years ago, perhaps my standards are too high

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

French: Ref Tim Stewart did the Ohio at Buffalo game last night

KD: No comment

I can't remember him being this angry since the 2007 MACC. 

2007 championship game had a lot more to do with what was on the line and problems with the clock as well. This one was due directly to calls on the floor. 

You have to expect home teams to get some calls but this one seemed to take that a bit too far and not just at the end of the game but throughout. 

Time for the team, and really all of us, to put it behind us. I have seen things like this start losing streaks and start winning streaks.   We, the fans, need to do all we can to make the latter a reality.

When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of the season, this looked like just an incredibly hard stretch of games.  6 out of 8 on the road.  Putting aside the missed bunnies and bad refs, something had to give in one of these games.  And teams always play their best against the Zips.  The Central team that has lost its last two games isn't the one we saw the other week.  First really close game of the year.  Isaiah made clutch free throws.  Come Tuesday hopefully this will be out of my mind.  Emotions are raw after a game like that.

First of all, the T by KD cost us the game. He simply should not have done that. Just plain dumb.

Second, the officials were awful. Many bad calls. That one at the very end where Big Dog was knocked down and ignored was the worst. Should have gotten to the line to win the game.

But having said that, the team that scores the most points always wins.

And ESPN is awful. The on the court guy was worse than the last one.

But the BIGGEST missed call of the day was the non call on the hanging on the rim. I remember when Zeke got a T for hanging about 1/4 as long. That guy was playing monkey bars. Such a simple and obvious call.

Edited by akronzips71

The call on Big Dog with 2 seconds left was horrific.  Glad they showed it on replay.  It looked 10x worse in slow motion.  That's a no-call, ball rolls harmlessly across the floor, and time expired. 

But...

That wasn't the worst call of the game.  The call that drew the "T" on Keith was after a made basket and they hit Robotham with a foul away from the shot, when all he was doing was a simple box out of a potential rebounder.  Unexplainable.  It could have resulted in a 6 point trip for NIU. 

An official cannot blatantly take control of a close game with 2 minutes left like that. 

1 hour ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

What a bad loss this is. UA had a chance to really separate themselves from the rest of the weak MAC tonight and they laid an egg. 

How did they lay an egg? They played a really good game in an arena that they usually are terrible in. Was it a perfect performance? Hell no, but to say that they laid an egg is completely asinine. Still a 2 game lead over everybody else. 

I agree that the Zips did not play badly.  However, they were outrebounded on the offensive boards 15 to 6 and turned the ball over 13 times with Antino having 6 turnovers.  We shot the ball well and had 15 assists so not a bad offensive performance.  We simply need to box out better on the road and take better care of the ball. 

I watched the replay of the last foul on Akron and Jake reached into the lane and put his foot down as the guy was driving to the lane and the offensive player stepped on Jake's foot and tripped into Big Dog.  Big Dog did not commit the foul but Jake put his foot into the path of the offensive player and tripped him so not the worst call in the world.

However, I also watched the foul on Robotham where Dambrot drew the T.  Robotham had position and the Northern Illinois player was clearly jumping on his back.  Robotham boxed him out and the official under the basket did not blow his whistle.  The trail official called the foul and it was clearly a foul on the Northern Illinois player and Robotham was clapping when the official blew the whistle because he clearly thought it was against N. Illinois and it would have negated the Northern Illinois basket. 

Robotham showed a great deal of class for a second year player at the end of the game by getting KD and bringing him back to the Akron bench to shake hands.    

11 hours ago, burrdie said:

Coaches are supposed to lead team and help them stay under control

Did he do that?

Obviously you have not seen the double technical levied on John Calipari at the start of the

Kentucky vs. South Carolina game last night.

Keith Dambrot is an outstanding coach who possesses a deep love for his team.

What do you know about staying under control? You claim you were once a coach. It is no

wonder why you are no longer coaching.

I will match Calipari's coaching resume against yours any time.

btw. I'm just a young kid of 72+

6 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I watched the replay of the last foul on Akron and Jake reached into the lane and put his foot down as the guy was driving to the lane and the offensive player stepped on Jake's foot and tripped into Big Dog.  Big Dog did not commit the foul but Jake put his foot into the path of the offensive player and tripped him so not the worst call in the world.

I looked at it a couple more times too.  I don't think I see a "trip".  I just see Jake stepping back into the lane in front of Big Dog, and cutting off the driving lane, then the NIU player simply tries to squeeze through the opening between them anyway and bounces off of Big Dog and losses the ball. 

The biggest issue I have with the call now is what happens on the next possession.  The NIU player sticks his entire leg out to knock Big Dog to the floor as he turns towards the basket. 

If you are the officials, you can't decide to call a foul on one end, and take a "let them play" stance at the other end when the game is closing out.  Let both sequences play out, or call the fouls. 

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see that we only dropped to #46 in the RPI after the loss.  In terms of rankings, I guess with it being a road game, and NIU having a good record, it's possibly considered a "good loss".

I just can't get past losing a game to a team that had lost 5 straight. It sure made me realize how much teams in this league love getting Akron at home, and give us their best effort of the year. 

• Like 2

It's hard not to watch those final 15 seconds and not think those refs decided the game.   We still have a two game lead on the MAC and only two away games left.  If the Zips come out of this brutal stretch with only one loss (in a game in which we were still red hot from the 3), IMHO I think that is a darn good result.  If we were in ConferenceUSA, our tournament would be in Alabama instead of the Q.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

It's hard not to watch those final 15 seconds and not think those refs decided the game.   We still have a two game lead on the MAC and only two away games left.  If the Zips come out of this brutal stretch with only one loss (in a game in which we were still red hot from the 3), IMHO I think that is a darn good result.  If we were in ConferenceUSA, our tournament would be in Alabama instead of the Q.

I felt like we could lose 3 conference games, and still be a great shape.  That was the 3rd one.  And we're still in great shape, both nationally and in the conference. 

Now it's time to buckle down, close out the final 6 games (4 at home), and see what happens. 

This game was lost by the fact NIU managed to get an 15 extra shot attempts and 5 extra free throw attempts. NIU managed to both dominate the glass (+7 boards) and did a much better job of not turning the ball over (6 fewer turnovers).

Akron shot well and held NIU to a meager 42% fg%. Akron just can't afford to concede 15 offensive rebounds.