John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

If there was a person assigned to cover the Zips, like a newspaper reporter or something like that and he or she was really engaged with what transpired over a certain period of time during Keith Dambrot's tenure, I bet that person could write a really interesting article detailing some of the events that occurred.  You know, someone like real sports teams have assigned to cover them?

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Because you just can't come on here and post a bunch of hearsay.  If I heard some things unbecoming to KD from a source who certainly had the access to know and that I trust not to be spreading lies, I would believe them and I might drop a hint or two but I wouldn't come on here and spill the beans about it.  That is a sure fire way for that person in the know never to tell you any juicy little tidbits ever again.

But that's just me.

That makes sense.  My concern when I see stuff like that is that people reading it will base their opinion on innuendo rather than fact, but I get where you're coming from here. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Forget about the damn conferences.  Akron is a relevant college basketball program right now, and Duquesne sucks. 

This was about the coaching hires, not the conferences or even the schools. But the fact UMass made it on the list and not Duquesne, is what surprised me where both of them are terrible. Just makes me wonder some things, but apparently all I'm doing is angering people on this topic, so I'm going to stop there.  

On 4/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, lilroodude said:

Akron won the MAC Tournament 3 times, with only 1 of those 3 wins coming as the 1 seed. So what did our "high level" of winning more games get us? 1 MAC tourney title? 

I admit with an NCAA or bust mentality it didn't and doesn't get us much.

I do think getting an auto bid to the NIT is  still a positive thing for mid majors in one bid leagues though. It clearly isn't the tournament we want to be playing in but its not a terrible consolation prize that should still provide quality competition and something to play for. Getting the 1 seed in the MAC at least guarantees we play in a tournament above the "better than not playing" CBI or CiT.

I lnow it may not mean that much to some but I have enjoyed watching Akron beat Houston, Temple, and Florida State in the past. I wish it was in the NCAA but I still enjoy seeing the Zips defeat programs like those and the NIT bid earned by being the 1 seed in the MAC can provide those opportunities.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:37 PM, mes102 said:

Podcast of Groce's interview Saturday morning in Illinois. Interview starts at

http://www.news-gazette.com/audio/2017-04-08/04-08-17-saturday-sportstalk.html

Interview starts at 52:40 and ends at 1:16:50

I'd really like to hear that Groce doesn't have time for an interview because he's in BFI recruiting some stud other schools missed.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

At this stage I'd rather us just target JUCO and grad transfers to fill out our roster. The last thing I'd want is us committing 3-4 scholarships for 4 years to kids that aren't good enough to be big time contributors. It would be far better for us to put ourselves in a position that Groce can recruit 4-5 next year who fit his system who he has an entire year to scout.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

At this stage I'd rather us just target JUCO and grad transfers to fill out our roster. The last thing I'd want is us committing 3-4 scholarships for 4 years to kids that aren't good enough to be big time contributors. It would be far better for us to put ourselves in a position that Groce can recruit 4-5 next year who fit his system who he has an entire year to scout.

Agreed.  The only high school player I'm interested in at this point is Trotwood-Madison PG Torrey Patton.  He is a 6'4" PG who was the D-2 Ohio co-POY (along w/ Jayvon Graves).  But even he gives me cause for concern as to why he wasn't more highly recruited.  Is he slow?  Other coaches don't think his skill set will transfer to the D-1 level? Idk.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for LePear Toles.

Edited by Blue & Gold

39 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Who'd have ever imagined you'd utter those words two days before LOI day?  Oh how times have changed!

59 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Groce is very well connected. If there are quality HS senior kids out there, he will get them. I don't see any chance that he panics and grabs a bunch of JUCO's an grad transfers just to fill a roster.

If JUCO and grad transfer kids are the best available players then sure, sign them. But I'm not giving up on acquiring some impact 4-year kids too.

Dambrot left Groce with a bit of a mess. But it's also a blessing that we won't have any malcontents on the roster. The players that stayed are all-in, and those that didn't want to be here will depart. That bodes well for team chemistry next season, and allows Groce to implement his system a little easier.

22 minutes ago, Sergeant Zip said:

According to the Fork Union Military Academy twitter account...

LePear Toles visiting Robert Morris.

Well, if he signs with Robert Morris I won't be too disappointed about him not playing here (no offense to Robert Morris).  But I still think he's a little better than that & could help us out at this level.

But, like I've mentioned, Im biased toward the local products.

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

All you need to know about Groce's contract. I enjoy reading Kevin Kleps. Think Darren Rovell on a local level with the douchiness.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170410/BLOGS06/170419986/akron-mens-basketball-coach-john-groces-earnings-will-nearly-double

So in the end, the University saves money with Dambrot leaving, and the ceiling is higher with Groce. I like it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well, if he signs with Robert Morris I won't be too disappointed about him not playing here (no offense to Robert Morris).  But I still think he's a little better than that & could help us out at this level.

But, like I've mentioned, Im biased toward the local products.

I am too, but LePear is NOT a MM basketball talent. All things equal, go with local talent. But if we can get better, and we should, go where you have to go!

• Like 1