Game 4- OSU

clarkwgriswold

8 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I used to fight back against this idea, until about 5 years ago. The Western Michigan Broncos in 2016 were the best MAC team to ever take the field. They beat two Big Ten teams in nonconference and destroyed every single MAC team they faced. How were they rewarded? A trip to the Cotton Bowl for a fancy exhibition game in which they lost to Wisconsin by 8. Never even a whiff of a national championship or playoff of any kind. Now would I LOVE for Akron to miraculously be that good some day? Absolutely! But when you are perfect and unbeatable for 13 games and your reward is essentially just another bowl game, I start to question what the point is. I understand there is a somewhat valid exposure argument, plus money gained through TV contracts. However, how do you weigh having a legendary football team going on a run vs. the basketball program going on a similar run? I am very curious to know which is more "worth it" if you're successful, being big time G5 football, or being a top mid-major basketball program that wins in the NCAA tournament.

SO based on your logic, why even have a athletic department at all 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:14 PM, Football grandma said:

I'm sure that's what the coaches explained to the disheartened team at the end of an embarrassing game. Lol "You took the hits for prime time exposure for university. You gained notoriety from millions of viewers as a team that gets its butt kicked by a losing D1 team. But hey, think of it this way. You saved the school the cost of a Superbowl ad and the school earned a fat check on your backs. Way to go team! Rah, rah!"

More like hey you got to play in a game on one of the biggest stages in college football. Be grateful for the opportunity and ignore the non paying alums who believe we should rather play shitty broke no name schools that have poor game attendance like us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

Some folks on here really believe in their heart that 1.075 million viewers has no positive impact on the University overall. 

Why even pay to run a damn commercial during the Super Bowl. Waste of time huh 

Everything is a waste of damn time. 

Screen-Shot-2021-09-28-at-5-10-40-PM

Yes. I don't care about hypotheticals. I care about tangible, measurable impact. Where is it. Show me dre. In $, in enrollment in some actually tangible metric. Yes, 1.075 million viewers had NO impact on the University of Akron outside of the payday we got for getting drummed.

I'll also add that you've now moved to goalposts. You claimed it "helped with enrollment" then when it was demonstrated that it absolutely did not, you've now gone to the viewership card. Please stop.

Edited by TheZipCat

1 hour ago, TheZipCat said:

Yes. I don't care about hypotheticals. I care about tangible, measurable impact. Where is it. Show me dre. In $, in enrollment in some actually tangible metric. Yes, 1.075 million viewers had NO impact on the University of Akron outside of the payday we got for getting drummed.

I'll also add that you've now moved to goalposts. You claimed it "helped with enrollment" then when it was demonstrated that it absolutely did not, you've now gone to the viewership card. Please stop.

You have provided nothing but bullshit logic to support your claim. 

I provided COMMON SENSE in regards to advertising and marketing which everyone does. 

Unless you work in the accounting department do us all a favor and STFU 

6 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

. I care about tangible, measurable impact.

I think these games do, indeed, have a measurable impact and that impact is almost entirely in the negative. If it was positive, athletic directors, who are little more than snake oil salesmen, would not describe them as being "good for exposure".  

The snake oil salesmen sells snake oil as the cure for your ailments knowing the snake oil will only make you sicker. Since your condition is worse, they then are able to sell even more snake oil for your problems. This is how the Tennessee game came to be. There is nothing about that game that benefits the players, students, alumni, fans and greater Akron community. It almost exclusively benefits the athletic director's career and Tennessee. See how G5 ADs do not act in the best interest of the institutions they work for?

Bet everything you have that the Tennessee game will not result in a rapid influx of students from Tennessee. 

• Like 1

I can’t believe this argument is still going on.  It is what it is, it’s the system as it is designed.  If you find yourself in the bottom 10 of FBS your probably not filling the seats in the stadium and need money games to survive

The goal is to find that coach that can make the culture change (which at Akron would be a huge accomplishment) start to win & compete for MACC on a regular basis and create some excitement about the program and put butts in the seat.

once this happens you become more selective in your money games.  Bowden almost did it.  He didn’t use all the social media platforms and advertising to build the excitement but he got to the MACC & we got more selective the year we had Nebraska & Northwestern and he blew his opportunity (I believe his stint at Clemson taught him to get people to use all the tools available)

had to start over, unfortunately at this time it doesn’t appear Arth is capable, we probably will have our answer by end of next season, IMHO he is using all the tools available during season but is doing absolutely nothing in off season to drum any excitement up and he took the I will build it my way approach and cleaned house instead of using what you have & using the portal to speed the process up like Bowden did to better compete

Unfortunately if he doesn’t take the next step to being competitive we will be starting the process over again and we will see what Guthrie is worth cause picking the right guy is HUGE, it isn’t easy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, dre22era said:

You have provided nothing but bullshit logic to support your claim. 

I provided COMMON SENSE in regards to advertising and marketing which everyone does. 

Unless you work in the accounting department do us all a favor and STFU 

Easy Dre, it's a forum.  Nobody needs to STFU.  You're getting way too worked up and it takes away from the points you're trying to make.

2 hours ago, dre22era said:

A forum full of old grumpy folks who want to the regress the program down to peewee football 

Last week I watched the Akron Rubberducks win the Eastern League championship. No, it wasn’t the World Series. It wasn’t against the  Dodgers. But nobody there gave two shits. We all had a LOT more fun than if we watched them try to play the Yankees.

Yes there are elitist fans who scoff at anything not MLB. 

Their loss…

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Last week I watched the Akron Rubberducks win the Eastern League championship. No, it wasn’t the World Series. It wasn’t against the  Dodgers. But nobody there gave two shits. We all had a LOT more fun than if we watched them try to play the Yankees.

Yes there are elitist fans who scoff at anything not MLB. 

Their loss…

And with that said, who knew?
I only knew about it because I live just outside of Bowie MD. 

No parade no nothing 

But if thats all you folks want is sports in your city and Alma Matar to basically be on the the level of irrelevance and questioning any effort made to overcome it then so be it.

Hell, might as well give Arth a contract extension using the so called Ohio State Power 5 ass whippin Blood Money. 

Please do continue being Zips fans in Ohio State gear 

Sorry to shake the table 

13 hours ago, dre22era said:

No parade no nothing 

But if thats all you folks want is sports in your city and Alma Matar to basically be on the the level of irrelevance and questioning any effort made to overcome it then so be it.

Hell, might as well give Arth a contract extension using the so called Ohio State Power 5 ass whippin Blood Money. 

Sorry to shake the table 

You do realize the economics of big time college football are completely different from college basketball and soccer.

That’s why there’s an FCS. It’s Division 1, but it’s not for the delusional fans who think we can  keep up with schools with $109,000,000.00 plus athletics budgets. That’s almost ten times what Akron has to spend. To look at it another way, tOSU gets almost 10 times as much of the state tax we pay than Akron does. And probably way more than 10 times as much TV and radio revenue.

Can the Zips be competitive in FBS? With the right coach, and the right number of scholarships, it is possible. We’ve seen it. Even with the multiple budget cuts the last 10-15 years. But it takes the right people running the program. And that takes the right $pay$ for the staff. Or catching lightning in a bottle and hire a future superstar coach before the rest of college football notices him. 

That’s reality for probably 90-95 FBS football programs. 

If you want to preach the virtues of staying FCS and complain every week how bad we suck, go find us a cheap coaching legend (and don’t let him hire Milwe)

18 hours ago, dre22era said:

No parade no nothing 

Sorry to shake the table 

I couldn’t care less who knew. 

I want my alma mater’s athletics to play at a high level, but at a level it can financially be competitive in today’s college sports landscape. I don’t want to see my home-village high school football team playing St. Ed’s. That doesn’t interest me at all. I don’t want to see the Zips soccer team playing Manchester United. I’ll watch one or the other. But against each other? Not interested.

YMMV

• Like 1