Game 8- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

First, I'd like to say I didn't know it was possible for a team to play so consistently poorly at home. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. Infocision is the Taj Mahal of MAC football stadiums and for almost its entire existence, teams so often come in and just destroy Akron. Its so sad to see such a lifeless team that still has (by Akron standards) not terrible crowds come out lay such a fat egg just two weeks after a promising win.

In case you ever want to know what being dominated at the line of scrimmage looks like, fire up the replay of this game. As bad as Irons was, and he was BAAAD, he nor any other QB would have had any chance to do anything. Other teams will follow Buffalo's game plan moving forward, and this isn't going to be the last time we see so many sacks. The offensive line continues to look like one of the worst I've ever seen, and there is no hope that it will improve.

Defensively, there was nothing surprising there. I had to count to make sure Akron had 11 players on the field a few times, how a Buffalo tight end can take a 4 yard drag route 50 yards is way over my head. I didn't even think that was humanly possible. I don't think the math adds up.

Anyway, I'm happy for Norrils. He started the first game of the year and you see why, he's one of the few D1 players on this roster. That was cool to see.

With that said, on behalf of Guthrie I'd like to thank Tom Arth for making the decision to let him go even easier and more justifiable. I would suspect it will come once the season officially ends, but this is not going to continue, nor should it, especially at this rate. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

With that said, on behalf of Guthrie I'd like to thank Tom Arth for making the decision to let him go even easier and more justifiable. I would suspect it will come once the season officially ends, but this is not going to continue, nor should it, especially at this rate. 

Most important line in your post, at least to me.  I'm not trying to start a T. B. debate but one thing T.B. could do was pull out a few wins when he needed them to keep the A.D. and the university on the hook.   I wish there could be a flashy firing tomorrow to zing some energy back into the season and the fan base, but I think the paper bags will be on the students' heads for the Tuesday night game coming up.

15 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Most important line in your post, at least to me.  I'm not trying to start a T. B. debate but one thing T.B. could do was pull out a few wins when he needed them to keep the A.D. and the university on the hook.   I wish there could be a flashy firing tomorrow to zing some energy back into the season and the fan base, but I think the paper bags will be on the students' heads for the Tuesday night game coming up.

Bold of you to assume students will even show up

4 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

First, I'd like to say I didn't know it was possible for a team to play so consistently poorly at home. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. Infocision is the Taj Mahal of MAC football stadiums and for almost its entire existence, teams so often come in and just destroy Akron. Its so sad to see such a lifeless team that still has (by Akron standards) not terrible crowds come out lay such a fat egg just two weeks after a promising win.

In case you ever want to know what being dominated at the line of scrimmage looks like, fire up the replay of this game. As bad as Irons was, and he was BAAAD, he nor any other QB would have had any chance to do anything. Other teams will follow Buffalo's game plan moving forward, and this isn't going to be the last time we see so many sacks. The offensive line continues to look like one of the worst I've ever seen, and there is no hope that it will improve.

Defensively, there was nothing surprising there. I had to count to make sure Akron had 11 players on the field a few times, how a Buffalo tight end can take a 4 yard drag route 50 yards is way over my head. I didn't even think that was humanly possible. I don't think the math adds up.

Anyway, I'm happy for Norrils. He started the first game of the year and you see why, he's one of the few D1 players on this roster. That was cool to see.

First off, the game was difficult to watch.  However,  I feel there are certain areas we have players that can compete and other areas we need to bring in help.  Offensively,  our OL play has struggled but I do feel we are good in the trenches. Both guards and the center can play but our tackles consistently get beat on the edges. I have also noticed that our TE's are not very good blockers.  In addition,  when you have a team pinning back their ears and all out rushing cause we cannot run effectively, it doesn't help.  A good running back with some size is sorely needed.  Our current backs are small and can’t hit the holes or block effectively.  Taken together,  I think this is why we struggle Offensively.  Defensively,  our DL is just too small.  If you look at Buffalo,  they had at least 6 legitimate pass rushers with some size. I think that is our biggest issue on defense.   No pass rush and an inability to plug rushing lanes puts too much pressure on our LB and secondary.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

For your reading enjoyment 🙃

The picture tells a story. 5 fumbles from a right handed QB. That kind of play yesterday is not going to cut it vs. any FBS competition, regardless of the offensive line struggles. Full blame to the offensive coaches.

1 hour ago, Zippyroo said:

First off, the game was difficult to watch.  However,  I feel there are certain areas we have players that can compete and other areas we need to bring in help.  Offensively,  our OL play has struggled but I do feel we are good in the trenches. Both guards and the center can play but our tackles consistently get beat on the edges. I have also noticed that our TE's are not very good blockers.  In addition,  when you have a team pinning back their ears and all out rushing cause we cannot run effectively, it doesn't help.  A good running back with some size is sorely needed.  Our current backs are small and can’t hit the holes or block effectively.  Taken together,  I think this is why we struggle Offensively.  Defensively,  our DL is just too small.  If you look at Buffalo,  they had at least 6 legitimate pass rushers with some size. I think that is our biggest issue on defense.   No pass rush and an inability to plug rushing lanes puts too much pressure on our LB and secondary.

Nice analysis but this season is over.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

Yes, but the players are suffering more than we are and they deserve better.  To get better, they need to supplement with additional talent in areas of need in the off season.

I wouldn't feel too bad for most of them. Arth has recruited a solid D2/D3 roster. These guys would have never had a full scholarships at any other school and if they did they would have washed out long ago. Those with D1 talent have the option to stay or enter the transfer portal. 

The hardest part for the players now has to be not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's three years for some and the team is still terrible. They are not stupid. When they play other schools they know how outmatched they are. Post game film sessions have to be a horror show. They know they are a long way away from a 5 win season. They have to know the coaches who recruited them aren't long for Akron. They have to know if Akron uncharacteristically hires a competent coach, that person will bring in some better players and they will be sent straight to the bench or not have their scholarships renewed. I wouldn't call it suffering. It's more discouraging. For some there will be an empowering aspect to it.  Reality can be that way. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 7:25 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

11 sacks.  They gave up 11 sacks.  11.

And no sacks of Buffalo's Vantrease.  Thank you very much for treating my nephew so nicely.  😉

Really wish I could have been there, but I had another big game to attend in Ames.  

Edited by Cykron

Well, I wasn't able to go to the game on Saturday and was kind of disappointed as the day began. Love the Zips, love tailgating, and love live football. After looking at the score as the evening went on I ended up not being too upset lol. My poor two friends who took my tickets saw something very miserable it seems. 

I know finances and so forth, but man, I really wonder how Arth survives this. New AD, Guthrie, cannot be happy about this. He will want his own guy in there now that Arth has yet another failing season. Who knows what happen. The Zips are miserable, BUT it doesn't have to be this way. But currently it is the way it is....miserable. 

On 10/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, NWAkron said:

Gibson out. Irons in.

Not looking like a good idea at this point. Ugh. 

Didn't go to the game even with season tix. Why was Gibson pulled? Was he injured? If so I get it. If not, Gibson is not the problem. This looks like Arth casting about desperately not knowing what to do. If they played competitive football consistently that would be fine. But, they are not even close. If it wasn't before its now pretty obvious this is a coaching issue.

If I am someone like Gibson and others I am seriously considering the transfer portal. With some decent coaching some of these guys can play at this level.

As much as I hate to say it, I expected better. But no progress after 3 seasons is enough. I hope the AD is already looking around.

This is sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Saturday was likely the 2nd earliest I've ever left a Zips game. I think the 66-5 3rd quarter score against WMU back in 2011 got me out the door faster.

That 66-5 game was on the road, even that one would have been worth leaving despite a 4+ hour drive. Oddly enough, the year before in 2010 on October 23, the Zips lost to WMU at Infocision 56-10, trailing 35-3 at half time. Saturday was the 11 year anniversary of that game, and we saw nearly the same exact thing happen. 

3 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Didn't go to the game even with season tix. Why was Gibson pulled? Was he injured? If so I get it. If not, Gibson is not the problem. This looks like Arth casting about desperately not knowing what to do. If they played competitive football consistently that would be fine. But, they are not even close. If it wasn't before its now pretty obvious this is a coaching issue.

If I am someone like Gibson and others I am seriously considering the transfer portal. With some decent coaching some of these guys can play at this level.

As much as I hate to say it, I expected better. But no progress after 3 seasons is enough. I hope the AD is already looking around.

This is sad.

Gibson was not hurt. He was pulled after his second series, I'm assuming, because they hadn't moved it (other than one first down on opening drive). Listening to Arth during the week and trying to interpret his particular coach speak (through the "you knows"), it seemed like the game plan was to use both Gibson and Irons, a strategy that has worked so well over the years at so many levels by so many teams. (Facetious voice)     Or as the old saying goes, if you have 2 QB's, you have none. 

You are absolutely correct that Gibson will be looking at the Transfer Portal, just watch his body language on the sidelines, especially after he was pulled last Saturday. In addition, Arth has two other freshmen QBs who had multiple FBS offers who could have been given time in the 4th quarter Saturday for no other reason than to keep them engaged for next year.  Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, I predict a minimum of two of the four returning scholarship QBs will enter the portal and more likely three. I see Irons most likely staying, but even that is not assured if and hopefully when this staff is replaced. 

3 hours ago, jupitertoo said:

I stayed for that whole WMU beatdown to see if it could get any worse.  It did.

I remember listening on the radio to the halftime interview for this game. The game was already totally out of control. It was a brief interview. I actually felt bad for Ianello. As disappointing as Arth has been, Ianello was in a class of his own.

Edited by you am i

3 minutes ago, you am i said:

I remember listening on the radio to the halftime interview for the this game. The game was already totally out of control. It was a brief interview. I actually felt bad for Ianello. As disappointing as Arth has been, Ianello was in a class of his own.

Arth is far superior to Ianello.

Ianello was both incompetent and arrogant.  Simply an atrocious combination.