Conference Realignment

zipsrule

19 hours ago, GP1 said:

We should steal New Mexico State from the grips of CUSA so we can have exposure to the Rio Rancho TV market. 

Rio Rancho is an Albuquerque suburb (yes - it has one!).  However, it WOULD give a path to the Hatch Chile Market!  🌶  Que viva!!

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Rio Rancho is an Albuquerque suburb (yes - it has one!).  However, it WOULD give a path to the Hatch Chile Market!  🌶  Que viva!!

We could play them annually for the Rubber Green Chilies Trophy.

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It looks like WKU and MTSU joining the MAC fell through. I actually would have liked having WKU as I feel they would have raised the quality of both MAC basketball and MAC football.

That would really add to the travel budget for the schools.   They didn't seem like a good fit.  

I asked Guthrie about the potential for conference expansion with MTSU and WKU. He saw no reason for it. Neither school brought a big metropolitan market that could increase the eyes watching MAC FB or BB. Additionally two more slices of the TV revenue would have to be given up thereby lessening what each existing school got with little chance of negotiating a fatter deal because of these two. I do not know for sure, but I bed Charles shared his opinion with Miller, who values Charles insight. 

All that being said I have a sentimental interest in seeing WKU as an opponent. I remember regularly playing them when we were in the OVC. We played MTSU regularly too, but I never liked them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I asked Guthrie about the potential for conference expansion with MTSU and WKU. He saw no reason for it. Neither school brought a big metropolitan market that could increase the eyes watching MAC FB or BB. Additionally two more slices of the TV revenue would have to be given up thereby lessening what each existing school got with little chance of negotiating a fatter deal because of these two. I do not know for sure, but I bed Charles shared his opinion with Miller, who values Charles insight. 

All that being said I have a sentimental interest in seeing WKU as an opponent. I remember regularly playing them when we were in the OVC. We played MTSU regularly too, but I never liked them.

What you and Charles do behind closed doors should be of no concern to others. Go Zips.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Again, if nobody else wants them, why would we?

If WKU would just calm down and work with their existing conference to find two more schools, it isn't a bad conference. 

Edited by GP1