Press Conference Introducing Coach Moorhead (Thursday 10 am)

Dr Z

50 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

House of LaRose must have got the Beer contract back.  They mentioned him & Matt Kaulig.  They could have bought him a house.  They said something about his son playing at Hoban.  He’s probably getting a nice free Catholic education.  I’m sure he is gonna be taken care of

Did they mention Hoban specifically? I didnt catch that.

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I caught the mention as well and know he used to be a big donor when I was in school. Was there some sort of fallout between then and now?

Idk about fallout but they pulled out 2 years ago for lack of sales & Tramonte picked it up.  They must be hopeful for butts in the seats and more consumption of beer. 😂

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

House of LaRose must have got the Beer contract back.  They mentioned him & Matt Kaulig.  They could have bought him a house.  They said something about his son playing at Hoban.  He’s probably getting a nice free Catholic education.  I’m sure he is gonna be taken care of

Absolutely. But he was probably getting similar incentives at Oregon, plus twice the annual salary, more realistic big goals achieved (College Football Playoff/New Years Bowl Game), etc. He wants to be at Akron. We should be thrilled/hyped/etc.

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Absolutely. But he was probably getting similar incentives at Oregon, plus twice the annual salary, more realistic big goals achieved (College Football Playoff/New Years Bowl Game), etc. He wants to be at Akron. We should be thrilled/hyped/etc.

I agree, just saying i would guess there is more we don’t know about.  

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

Perhaps a bonus for graduation rate and scholastic achievement rate.  JoeMo mentioned that he wanted his players to graduate with a degree that was meaningful.

Graduation rate (noncumulative): 70% or higher, $5,000; 75% or higher, $7,500; 80% or higher, $10,000.

Academic progress rate (noncumulative): 945 or higher, $5,000; 960 or higher, $7,500; 970 or higher, $10,000. 

92.3 The Fan just had Moorhead on for an interview. He said a lot of the same things as he did in the Press Conference, but what stood out to me was that he was doing the interview from the parking lot of Hoban High School. Nice to see him over there already! My favorite part of this interview was when he said that wearing little slogans on shirts won't win football games. I hated that stupid "Our Way" crap.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 10:00 AM, akzipper said:

It's nice to know he doesn't care much about the money or prestige of a school. He just wants to be a coach and be near his family. Hopefully this means he's here to stay for a long time.

A coaching hire like this restores a little faith that college football may survive the escalating costs (money and otherwise) of the coaching carousel.  This is the way it is supposed to be.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

You must be a blast at parties. 

By the way, it takes two to tango. Instead of taking shots at the Athletic Department (for faults of previous administrations, not this current one) for making the hire of the decade(s), maybe thank Joe Moorhead for believing in Akron and wanting to be at Akron enough to take nearly a 50% pay cut.

I think you're both right!  😁

@BallCoachJoeMo = Win-Win!

4 hours ago, Cykron said:

A coaching hire like this restores a little faith that college football may survive the escalating costs (money and otherwise) of the coaching carousel.  This is the way it is supposed to be.  

Absolutely.

Now the question is if he sticks around for 13 years and wins 9-10 games a year with bowl games and MAC Championship contention every year, will there be a segment of fans that want him gone because we haven't won a game in the College Football Playoff?

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Absolutely.

Now the question is if he sticks around for 13 years and wins 9-10 games a year with bowl games and MAC Championship contention every year, will there be a segment of fans that want him gone because we haven't won a game in the College Football Playoff?

I certainly hope not.  There have been a few former blue blood programs that fired coaches who didn't reach the highest goals, such as Nebraska, who haven't been able to return even to those levels. 

A bunch of 9+ win seasons and frequent contention for the MAC championship would be awesome.  Hope that will bring the crowd back too.  

• Like 2

That interview was outstanding!  I'm going to have to start listening to Ken Carman & Anthony Lima.  Mostly I've grown to have a revulsion for Cleveland media due to how they've utterly ignored us over the past (at least) 30 years (Idk what it was like prior to that).  But this interview, and these two guys were great!  They were both passionate Zips fans!!!!  So great! I've never heard/seen that from Cleveland nor Akron (🤢) media.  Anthony Lima (I believe) said something to the effect, "Coach, I'm not an Ohio State fan, I'm not a Michigan fan, I'm an Akron Zips fan," and I knew I had found a brother!  Ken Carman also said he was a UA graduate & that he was going to be on campus next week (didn't specify why) and he mentioned two or three times how hyped he was Coach JoeMo was calling from the Hoban parking lot.

I'm going to start tuning in to their show when I have the chance.  Very happy :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That interview was outstanding!  I'm going to have to start listening to Ken Carman & Anthony Lima.  Mostly I've grown to have a revulsion for Cleveland media due to how they've utterly ignored us over the past (at least) 30 years (Idk what it was like prior to that).  But this interview, and these two guys were great!  They were both passionate Zips fans!!!!  So great! I've never heard/seen that from Cleveland nor Akron (🤢) media.  Anthony Lima (I believe) said something to the effect, "Coach, I'm not an Ohio State fan, I'm not a Michigan fan, I'm an Akron Zips fan," and I knew I had found a brother!  Ken Carman also said he was a UA graduate & that he was going to be on campus next week (didn't specify why) and he mentioned two or three times how hyped he was Coach JoeMo was calling from the Hoban parking lot.

I'm going to start tuning in to their show when I have the chance.  Very happy :)

I can remember listening to Carman and his buddies on the old UA radio station years ago.  

On top of being such a huge Zips guy, Ken enjoys talking about the MAC and the smaller guys instead of just Ohio State and the Browns all the time. He’s been trying to get Sean Lewis on for a couple of years to give him a platform for his program, but he refuses to come on for whatever reason. His loss. Coach Moorhead seems smart enough to use any platform necessary to help make the program matter again. 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

That was Ken that said that. Lima is a Suckeye honk, although he did actually graduate from Ohio A&M so it's a bit more acceptable. He gives Ken all sorts of crap cause he won't root for tOSU. This interview was 100% driven by Ken, but I did appreciate after the conversation with Moorhead concluded, Lima emphasized how big of a hire this is. His Suckeyes effectively got beat twice this season by Moorhead's scheme, so he would know how good of an offensive mind Moorhead is. 

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

On top of being such a huge Zips guy, Ken enjoys talking about the MAC and the smaller guys instead of just Ohio State and the Browns all the time. He’s been trying to get Sean Lewis on for a couple of years to give him a platform for his program, but he refuses to come on for whatever reason. His loss. Coach Moorhead seems smart enough to use any platform necessary to help make the program matter again. 

Well when the local media asks all of 3 questions at the introductory press conference for one of the biggest coaching hires in school history, it's not hard to figure out he might need to take matters into his own hands and get any publicity he can. Haha.

• Like 2