Game 11- Wright State

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to Dayton Wednesday night to face 2-6 Wright State.  Wright State's only wins came against Lake Erie and Purdue Fort Wayne.   The Raiders (who oddly have a dog looking mascot) were predicted to finish second in the Horizon pre-season poll.  6-6 junior guard Tanner Holden leads scoring at 19.8 ppg.  6-9 redshirt junior forward Basile Grant scores 18.8 ppg while leading the team in rebounds at 9.1 rpg.  Basile was selected to the pre-season All-Horizon first team.  Last season, he was an All-Horizon League Second Team honoree, averaging 15.0 points on a League-best 61.7 percent shooting, grabbed over seven boards a game and led the HL with 1.63 blocks per contest.

The Raiders fell to Marshall by 8 early in the season.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

On 12/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips head to Dayton Wednesday night to face 2-6 Wright State.  Wright State's only wins came against Lake Erie and Purdue Fort Wayne.   The Raiders (who oddly have a dog looking mascot) were predicted to finish second in the Horizon pre-season poll.  6-6 junior guard Tanner Holden leads scoring at 19.8 ppg.  6-9 redshirt junior forward Basile Grant scores 18.8 ppg while leading the team in rebounds at 9.1 rpg.  Basile was selected to the pre-season All-Horizon first team.  Last season, he was an All-Horizon League Second Team honoree, averaging 15.0 points on a League-best 61.7 percent shooting, grabbed over seven boards a game and led the HL with 1.63 blocks per contest.

The Raiders fell to Marshall by 8 early in the season.

The dog is supposed to be a wolf.

It replaced their old mascot, a bug-eyed Norseman character wearing a Vekso helmet, years ago.

Apparently WSU didn't want to offend any bug-eyed Scandinavians.

The team is capable of beating the Zips by 20 or losing by the same margin.

41 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

The team is capable of beating the Zips by 20 or losing by the same margin.

Spot on. The Zips played very poorly down the stretch away from the JAR last season, and two years ago it could be argued that they played better on the road than they did at the JAR in some instances. The biggest thing has been shooting away from the JAR. Trimble specifically. I'd like to look at his home/road splits and see how big the difference really is. I'm curious to see how the Zips do in their first true road game against a fellow mid-major.

• Like 1

Since the zips have not been shooting well away from the jar, they should try to get the ball inside to Freeman who is the leading scorer and shooting around 65%.  Has anyone else noticed that Tribble has stopped shooting the  ball unless he is driving to the basket.  I cannot remember the last time he shot a jump shot or a 3 pointer.  He has a nice touch at the foul line and should try to shoot some 12 footers instead of the 3 ball.  Clark has our worst shooting percentage (30%) and has more turnovers than assists.  Not a good combination for a point guard.  I thought he played better in the Florida A and m game.  We need for him to play better.  I wish Ali could be more consistent.  Sometimes he looks great and other times he seems to force shots and cost the team possessions.  Looking forward to watching how we do against a mid major.  Why couldn't this be a home game.  I hope they come to the Jar next year.

4 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Since the zips have not been shooting well away from the jar, they should try to get the ball inside to Freeman who is the leading scorer and shooting around 65%.  Has anyone else noticed that Tribble has stopped shooting the  ball unless he is driving to the basket.  I cannot remember the last time he shot a jump shot or a 3 pointer.  He has a nice touch at the foul line and should try to shoot some 12 footers instead of the 3 ball.  Clark has our worst shooting percentage (30%) and has more turnovers than assists.  Not a good combination for a point guard.  I thought he played better in the Florida A and m game.  We need for him to play better.  I wish Ali could be more consistent.  Sometimes he looks great and other times he seems to force shots and cost the team possessions.  Looking forward to watching how we do against a mid major.  Why couldn't this be a home game.  I hope they come to the Jar next year.

I still believe that Tribble is capable of making at least ONE three pointer this year. According to his Instagram and Groce's comments, he has really worked hard at getting his shot down. All it takes is one game where they guard him loosely behind the arc, like Garvin last game, and maybe he could get some confidence. 

I would love to see both Enrique and Aziz reach double figures tomorrow, hopefully they worked on some free throws this week.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

I still believe that Tribble is capable of making at least ONE three pointer this year. According to his Instagram and Groce's comments, he has really worked hard at getting his shot down. All it takes is one game where they guard him loosely behind the arc, like Garvin last game, and maybe he could get some confidence. 

I would love to see both Enrique and Aziz reach double figures tomorrow, hopefully they worked on some free throws this week.

Welcome to ZipsNation by the way.  It's nice to see some new blood.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

Yes, welcome to Z.N.o.!  Great to have you posting!  And I'm with you, I think Tribble is capable of making at least ONE 3-pointer this year.  I know we're asking for the moon, but... 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's surprising this will only be our second true road game of the year. IMO we should have scheduled more road games this OOC to better prepare ourselves for trying to win in hostile environment come conference play.

I agree with your point, but I would count the West Virginia game even though it was a charity game. That was still a big crowd and plenty hostile for the stated purpose.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips head to Dayton Wednesday night to face 2-6 Wright State.  Wright State's only wins came against Lake Erie and Purdue Fort Wayne.   The Raiders (who oddly have a dog looking mascot) were predicted to finish second in the Horizon pre-season poll.  6-6 junior guard Tanner Holden leads scoring at 19.8 ppg.  6-9 redshirt junior forward Basile Grant scores 18.8 ppg while leading the team in rebounds at 9.1 rpg.   They fell to Marshall by 8 early in the season.

I just have a bad feeling about this one.