Miami- 2/4/22 and 2/6/22

clarkwgriswold

The Zips host Miami on Friday then hop on the bus and head to Oxford for a Sunday afternoon game versus the Redhawks.  

The Zips will head into the game with a week's rest while the Redhawks face EMU on Saturday and PCCC on Tuesday.  Currently, the Redhawks are 9-9 overall and 3-4 in the MAC.  6'2" junior All-MAC guard Dae Dae Grant leads the Redhawks at 17.4 ppg with mighty mite senior guard Mekhi Lairy scoring 14.1 ppg.   Rebounding is led by 6'7" 5th year Dalonte Brown who pulls down 6.6 rpg while scoring 12.5 ppg.

Miami's coach, Jack Owens, had a 56-65 career record coming into the season.  They were 12-11 season last season and 9-8 in the Mid-American Conference.  This season is looking very similar to other Owens seasons.  This is the type of opponent the Zips have to beat to maintain a decent seeding.

A weekend sweep would take the Zips to 15-6/8-3 heading into the last month of the season.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:35 PM, zippy5 said:

The old home and home. And after all these years I still don't get why it's not a home and away. Anyway, lets beat the sweaters twice and hope for some MACtion chaos elsewhere

So all these Friday games officially count as MACtion then? Makes it kinda hard to get there for people that don't get off work by 5 😭

15 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

With the weather forecast, I'm wondering if the Zips and Sweaters run into another postponement.  The brunt of the bad weather is forecast to arrive over most of the day Thursday, which is when I'd expect the visitors to be making the 4 hour trek to Akron.

It would be difficult to reschedule anything at this point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Miami plays at Portage County A & T Tuesday night so they probably plan to stay up here rather than travel back to Oxford then back up.

Yes.  I can confirm the Sweater Krew have reservations at GL's Motel in Green.  And I should know since I was a classmate of Gary Lee Six, former Zips' offensive lineman after whom the place is named!  🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Miami went down by 30 in their last game with EMU and are looking to do the same against Garrettsville.

Yikes.  Down 26 at the half!

Looking back, before losing to EMU by 10, they lost by 17 to Ball State, beat an awful NIU team by 3 in OT and lost by 23 to OU.

I suspect the Jack Owens watch has commenced.

• Like 1