Miami- 2/4/22 and 2/6/22

clarkwgriswold

Weird game, but a pretty good one. Once the Zips locked down the perimeter in the second half they forced a lot of bad shots and ran the floor well. Props to Clarke and Wynn for making the most of big minutes. Also, Dawson with HUGE offensive boards in the final minutes, as he played a nice game outside of some bad shot attempts in the first half. 

What are the odds of Trimble airballing two in a row and then X bricking a pair of free throws? I feel so bad for Trim, he’s got mega yips right now. I’m glad he was able to sit the second half to ice up, hopefully he can get it going again at some point this year, Lord knows we need it. 

Need this road kill on Sunday, one game at a time. Go Zips!

Maybe it's good our two freshman guards can just redshirt this year.  The two local guards I had my eye on last year who I hoped might become Zips were

Canton McKinley's Kobe Johnson

and 

Medina's Corey Tripp

But if you click the above links (Kobe @ WVU and Trip @ Wofford) neither of them are much of contributors this year.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Honestly.  That was an AWFUL tech call on Miami.  He just leaned over...!

I sit behind the visitors bench and I agree that this was an awful T.  This was the most positive coach in the MAC.  He did not yell at his team or the refs.  Whenever a player came out he patted him on the back.  He just reacted to what he thought was a bad call.  I think he may have crossed over half court by an inch and that may have been the T.  It clearly was not anything he said.

• Thanks 1

OT:  Example of what can go wrong for a top seed in the tournament:  Ball State is 9 of 14 from beyond the arc with 9 minutes to go in first half and up on Toledo by 18.  It's a Whitford team so I assume they will collapse as this goes on.

Edit:  And on cue, Ball State cooling off really fast.

Edited by NWAkron

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I sit behind the visitors bench and I agree that this was an awful T.  This was the most positive coach in the MAC.  He did not yell at his team or the refs.  Whenever a player came out he patted him on the back.  He just reacted to what he thought was a bad call.  I think he may have crossed over half court by an inch and that may have been the T.  It clearly was not anything he said.

And X missed both the FTs. So maybe some karma.

I liked how we were able to get the ball inside to Ali and Freeman.  Trimble is a great player but because the bench played so well I did not feel like we missed him.   Nice to see Clarke get extended minutes.  He had some nice steals but he needs to move his feet quicker as he still gets beat off the dribble on defense.  Nice to see him drive to the basket and dish the ball to a big.  He was doing that last year and has not been driving to the basket this year.  This team really needs good minutes from the bench if we are going to do anything in Cleveland. 

I was very surprised that X did not take control of the game in the first 5 minutes when we scored only 5 points.  I have seen this all year that if Trimble starts cold we will be down 7 points in the first 5 minutes.  We are notorious for our slow starts. 

• Thanks 1