Zips Basketball- Looking Back to 21-22/Looking Forward to 22-23

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Hot Take: starting both Clarke and X.

Are you hoping either Nate or Kobe can step into the backup PG role?

I thought about that.  Garvin had a slow start last year then grew up fast.  I also do love Dawson and Tribble's energy coming off of the bench.

As we've seen with Groce, it isn't about putting the 5 most talented players in the starting lineup, it's about finding the combination that works best.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I really like Tavari. Aside from being from Chicago, his play style reminds me a lot of LCJ

Which took a couple years to develop and come into its own. I like Tavari, too, but I'm looking at next year and beyond for him to really be impactful. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, Hilltopper said:

These 7 guys should dominate the minutes this year.

Freeman

Castaneda

Hankerson 

Hunter

Tribble 

Dawson

Clarke

All other PT will be based on foul trouble, injuries etc...

If Dawson is out, Hilltopper's 7 Guys Who Should Dominate PT is reduced to 6.  That's an awfully thin lineup.

IMO, now we really need Nate Johnson to step up. His HS tape was fantastic & he's got a strong build, ala Dawson. If he can buckle down & play stellar defense like Dawson does (Dawson is our junkyard dog), we won't need him to be much of a scorer.

Sadly, I've gotta revise my lineup as follows:

PG: X....................Clarke

G:   Hankerson....Prather

G:  Tribble...........Johnson

P:  Hunter............Mosengo

P:  Freeman........Lyles

However, until I hear differently, I'm going to hold out hope that Dawson's injury isn't as serious as it may appear. They give these guys First Class care & spare no expense as they go above and beyond baseline treatments (e.g., being admitted to the hospital overnight for simple dehydration, etc.).  Hopefully what we saw with Dawson is something along those lines.  Maybe he just stubbed his toe 🤞😉

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If Dawson is out, Hilltopper's 7 Guys Who Should Dominate PT is reduced to 6.  That's an awfully thin lineup.

IMO, now we really need Nate Johnson to step up. His HS tape was fantastic & he's got a strong build, ala Dawson. If he can buckle down & play stellar defense like Dawson does (Dawson is our junkyard dog), we won't need him to be much of a scorer.

Sadly, I've gotta revise my lineup as follows:

PG: X....................Clarke

G:   Hankerson....Prather

G:  Tribble...........Johnson

P:  Hunter............Mosengo

P:  Freeman........Lyles

However, until I hear differently, I'm going to hold out hope that Dawson's injury isn't as serious as it may appear. They give these guys First Class care & spare no expense as they go above and beyond baseline treatments (e.g., being admitted to the hospital overnight for simple dehydration, etc.).  Hopefully what we saw with Dawson is something along those lines.  Maybe he just stubbed his toe 🤞😉

looked something like this.  a bit more than a stubbed toe.  next man up as a smart man once said.

images.jpg

• Thanks 1

I actually thought Dawson was posed to have a breakout year. I felt he was going to be able to absorb much of the offensive production we lost with Ali transferring as outside of Castaneda he would of perhaps been our best perimeter shooter. I don't think it's back breaking, just unfortunate 

45 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Silver lining: one of Dawson's biggest positives is his teamism capabilities. The reason we love him off the bench is he plays hard and always supports his teammates. The support aspect can and will still happen. I hope the team rallies around him and steps up in his on-court absence. 

I think that's more of an Aluminum lining. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I actually thought Dawson was posed to have a breakout year. I felt he was going to be able to absorb much of the offensive production we lost with Ali transferring as outside of Castaneda he would of perhaps been our best perimeter shooter. I don't think it's back breaking, just unfortunate 

Hankerson shoots the 3 at about the same percentage as X so that will help to make up for some of the loss, though at 6'2" he's a very different type of player.  The Zips will need shooters on the floor as this will also force more floor time for Tribble.  I am afraid they are really going to miss the 6'5' to 6'7" wing presence on defense and offense.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, Blue & Gold said:

I had Taylor Currie on my Preseason 2nd-Team All-MAC squad 🤐

PG - X....................Clarke

G - Hankerson......Tribble

G - Dawson...........Prather

P - Hunter..............Mosengo

P - Freeman..........Lyles

Attention Mr. Hunter & Mr. Freeman: Please stay out of foul trouble.

I love how every year so many people on this message board wishfully throw random newcomers in the starting lineup over Tribble and he still earns the spot. Happened with Maishe and then again with Walton now we’re here again with Hankerson. The kid is a gamer who impacts winning in multiple ways yet you think a transfer from a bad team is going to take his job lol 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigzip1 said:

I love how every year so many people on this message board wishfully throw random newcomers in the starting lineup over Tribble and he still earns the spot. Happened with Maishe and then again with Walton now we’re here again with Hankerson. The kid is a gamer who impacts winning in multiple ways yet you think a transfer from a bad team is going to take his job lol 

tenor-160263707.gif.cae8460cf8929c868abc6895726b09e0.gif

• Like 1