The World of College Football

GP1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

For those who bet, this guy is gonna be giving the locker room speeches for UCLA. Do with that what you will. 

That program is an absolute mess. Solid chance they go winless if they can’t beat Hawaii to kick off the season.

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

For those who bet, this guy is gonna be giving the locker room speeches for UCLA. Do with that what you will. 

Funniest thing I've seen today. Yikes that was bad.

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Damn, I'd run thru a wet toilet paper wall for this guy. All Bruins everywhere have got to be pumped. With his kind of motivation UCLA will easily finish in the top 16 out of the 16 members of the Big Ten.

I understand there is an interesting series of articles in the Canton Repository about QBs. A recent one has been about MAC quarterbacks and the transfer portal. Discusses the past stability the MAC had with QBs in the form of Edelman, Frye, Roethlisber et al.

There is a paywall so the link I have won't helpful. Maybe someone can do a better job than I can linking it. 

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

We need a snoring emoticon. Man that was brutal.

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

I understand there is an interesting series of articles in the Canton Repository about QBs. A recent one has been about MAC quarterbacks and the transfer portal. Discusses the past stability the MAC had with QBs in the form of Edelman, Frye, Roethlisber et al.

There is a paywall so the link I have won't helpful. Maybe someone can do a better job than I can linking it. 

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/sports/college/football/2024/07/24/ohio-college-football-quarterbacks-mac-transfer-portal-julian-edelman-ben-roethlisberger-josh-cribbs/72193596007/

Use this great site to read it for free.(Thanks Dr Z)

https://www.shacklefree.in/

Steve Doerschuk is a legend. 

• Thanks 1

The NCAA is looking at adding scholarships across sports, starting next year. Football would go to 105. The supposed pro's for doing this would be that it sets a hard cap on players. As we have heard, some teams have had "walk-ons" that actually getting paid to cover their scholarship cost. This would close that back door. I also imagine that the NCAA will spin this as a win against the amount of players in the transfer portal (3,800+)

I'm worried that this hurts the G5 schools two ways. The trickle down of players. There will be 1,360 less boarder line players that will go to the G5 vs the P4. I heard a counter argument to this being kids want to play. The kid 3rd on the depth chart will still transfer to a G5 to get playing time. Maybe, but the P4 has more scholarships too, so who is to say they don't just transfer to another, maybe lower, P4 school. 

The other part of this is the increase in operating cost for schools. This isn't just a football increase so just the cost having sports is going up. They are saying the projected increase is by 3 to 7 million dollars. 

• Thumbs down 1

NCAA also did away with the limited amount of coaches on staff. Programs were getting around this to an extent with all the analyst roles, but now they can be on-field coaches. Many Power schools will be able to offer more money for “Assistant LB” type roles than G5 schools will for a LB coach (pick any position for comparison). Potentially more than coordinators as well, depending on the school.

Edited by catdaddyp

3 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

The NCAA is looking at adding scholarships across sports, starting next year. Football would go to 105. The supposed pro's for doing this would be that it sets a hard cap on players. As we have heard, some teams have had "walk-ons" that actually getting paid to cover their scholarship cost. This would close that back door. I also imagine that the NCAA will spin this as a win against the amount of players in the transfer portal (3,800+)

I'm worried that this hurts the G5 schools two ways. The trickle down of players. There will be 1,360 less boarder line players that will go to the G5 vs the P4. I heard a counter argument to this being kids want to play. The kid 3rd on the depth chart will still transfer to a G5 to get playing time. Maybe, but the P4 has more scholarships too, so who is to say they don't just transfer to another, maybe lower, P4 school. 

The other part of this is the increase in operating cost for schools. This isn't just a football increase so just the cost having sports is going up. They are saying the projected increase is by 3 to 7 million dollars. 

I know the SEC hasn’t decided if all 105 players will be on scholarship. My guess is it’ll be more than the current 85, but we’ll see. 

• Thanks 1

Here’s yet another bad thing about college football these days - screw tradition. It says Miami is opting out but not why. You’d have to assume it’s money (like everything else). Maybe Cincinnati can’t provide them the big payday that a Big 10 or SEC team could pay for one of their out of conference games? 

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/report-battle-for-the-victory-bell-rivalry-coming-to-an-end-01j3r96d99t2?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR15mPYNgxhgggPuhfE-aJyVWIA-eBQDNWnM9y2rPgydCoozVbZtNxRppr8_aem_7o2gE_jfBOd6DBw6Xf65cQ

41 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

Here’s yet another bad thing about college football these days - screw tradition. It says Miami is opting out but not why. You’d have to assume it’s money (like everything else). Maybe Cincinnati can’t provide them the big payday that a Big 10 or SEC team could pay for one of their out of conference games? 

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/report-battle-for-the-victory-bell-rivalry-coming-to-an-end-01j3r96d99t2?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR15mPYNgxhgggPuhfE-aJyVWIA-eBQDNWnM9y2rPgydCoozVbZtNxRppr8_aem_7o2gE_jfBOd6DBw6Xf65cQ

Cincinnati and Miami are heading in divergent directions. In the long run, Miami can't keep up. It's better they do this now rather than wait too long. It's the smart play. It's similar to why Akron doesn't play home and home games with Youngstown State. 

28 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Cincinnati and Miami are heading in divergent directions. In the long run, Miami can't keep up. It's better they do this now rather than wait too long. It's the smart play. It's similar to why Akron doesn't play home and home games with Youngstown State. 

I don’t disagree but it’s just sad that the new era of college football is killing one of the oldest rivalries in the country. Who would have ever thought Ohio State and Oregon would be playing a conference game this year??

• Like 1

We all understand why this is happening, but we don't have to agree with it. Everything good about college football can't always be measured in dollars and cents. The top 35 programs are doing all they can to ruin the game in their unquenchable thirst for more and more money. A champion from the Big Ten and SEC is not a national champion. Just the richest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

We all understand why this is happening, but we don't have to agree with it. Everything good about college football can't always be measured in dollars and cents. The top 35 programs are doing all they can to ruin the game in their unquenchable thirst for more and more money. A champion from the Big Ten and SEC is not a national champion. Just the richest.

I think it's gross. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to an interview of Lance Leipold. He mentioned that Rob Ianello is the GM and that lead to a bunch of questions about there being a GM in college football. That also means that they talk about ol'Rob Icoach for while. I couldn't stop throwing up at the mention of his name. Since misery loves company, I'm bring it up to all of you to get nauseous over. 

• Sad 1

NOOOOO! 😱 Stop the madness. In these days of mental health awareness you are close to getting a call from the police regarding the deliberate infliction of harm and duress on the U of Akron community. Talk about crimes against humanity!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

College football is having one helluva start. Game winning FG for GT over #10 FSU, and now FCS Montana State has completed a comeback from being down 14-31 to upset New Mexico. 

I imagine New Mexico will be one of the better MWC teams in a few years. Not this year though.