Game 24- Toledo

clarkwgriswold

The FIRST PLACE Zips welcome in the Toledo Rockets this Tuesday night.  The Rockets are 16-6/7-2 heading into tonight's game against CMU.  Their two MAC losses were in the home opener to Ball State and at PCCC.

Rockets' scoring is led by RayJ Dennis at 19 ppg, who also leads the team in assists.  Dennis is a 6'2" junior guard transfer from Boise State.  JT Shumate, a 6'7" senior forward, was on the All-MAC Preseason first team and is averaging 18 ppg and 5.1 rpg.   Second team Preseason All-MAC Setric Milliner, a 6'7" senior forward, contributes 14.9 ppg while leading rebounding at 6.1 rpg.   They were predicted to finish second in the MAC.

Here's hoping there's not a letdown after the PCCC game!

• Like 1

As a fan, I'm not getting ahead of myself.  Two weeks ago, Kent was a "final 4" team and then a loss in the Dekalb Triangle, a guard breaks his hand, and a deflating loss to the Zips. NOW the Zips are the target and the team that will "make noise."    Sometimes I like them flying under the radar.   A poor performance on Tuesday and Dennis and Shumate will be the golden men.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Sprockets can score the basketball.  They're first in the MAC by a whopping 6 points a game.  On the flip side, they're 11th in team defense.  This game may well come down to which team controls the pace.

Give me Akron's defense over Toledo's offense. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Tuesday is big. The northeast Ohio sports fan in me expects a let down. Hope the Zips prove me wrong!

Groce would say it comes down to how they practice the next two days.  Preparation trumps pressure.

There's going to be a let-down game like the 2020 cluster at Bowling Green.  i just hope it's at an away game.

Edited by NWAkron

@72 Roo :

The PCCC game was magical and universally praised. When we look to Toledo Tuesday night there's a different vibe. Some are worried about a letdown. Others feel we will slip back into past attendance history with 1/3 of the JAR filled. I say why not build on our success and keep it going? I know there are many reasons why some feel that can't be done. This is NE Ohio, by the way, and we are used to disappointment. Yet we can make a difference. There are thousands of posters on this board alone. If we buy a ticket and bring a friend we can do it ourselves. I am coming from Columbus and will bring a friend. How about the rest of the board finding a way to get there? We can start something big if we want to. Be part of the solution and stop rehashing the past troubles. These Zips are what we have wanted for decades. Beat the Rockets!

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

@72 Roo :

The PCCC game was magical and universally praised. When we look to Toledo Tuesday night there's a different vibe. Some are worried about a letdown. Others feel we will slip back into past attendance history with 1/3 of the JAR filled. I say why not build on our success and keep it going? I know there are many reasons why some feel that can't be done. This is NE Ohio, by the way, and we are used to disappointment. Yet we can make a difference. There are thousands of posters on this board alone. If we buy a ticket and bring a friend we can do it ourselves. I am coming from Columbus and will bring a friend. How about the rest of the board finding a way to get there? We can start something big if we want to. Be part of the solution and stop rehashing the past troubles. These Zips are what we have wanted for decades. Beat the Rockets!

I brought 3 people to the Kent game on Friday. They all had a really great time. 2 of them even talked about getting season tickets next year after I told them how cheap it is.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Sprockets can score the basketball.  They're first in the MAC by a whopping 6 points a game.  On the flip side, they're 11th in team defense.  This game may well come down to which team controls the pace.

Yes, but it took them a month of practices to figure out that it didn't add any points to the scoreboard to score their warm ups, water bottles or folding chairs (and the chairs tended to get hung up in the net making it more difficult to score the basketball).

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Maybe it's the server issue, but Toledo certainly doesn't bring the excitement that Kent does.  Hopefully,  students will keep up the effort and fun tomorrow and the Zips had some good practices. 

I know I've certainly been having issues the past few days of logging in here.

I would hope Akron wouldn't be sleeping on Toledo. Toledo is actually 10-3 against Akron over our last 13 match-ups. They are 6-2 against Groce during his Akron tenure. I'm guessing they're the only MAC program that we've had a losing record against over the last ~10 years.

Edited by kreed5120

This is a very interesting matchup. Considering their offensive efficiency, Toledo isn't necessarily a run-and-gun team. They're 5th in the MAC in tempo, and only have the 3rd shortest possession length on offense. Defensively, they allow the 3rd longest possessions defensively. So they are a lot closer to Akron in that metric than one may think.

They play fairly small, they don't turn it over much, and they've got a lot of guys who can shoot it pretty well. I, along with a few others here, definitely expect the Zips to drop a couple down the stretch on the schedule. I'd prefer they do it away from the JAR, but Toledo has won at the JAR quite a bit over recent years. And off the top of my head, I don't think the Zips have won in Toledo in over a decade. Keep defending home court. It will be much easier if the students and general public are hungry for more.

Go Zips!

55 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I would hope Akron wouldn't be sleeping on Toledo. Toledo is actually 10-3 against Akron over our last 13 match-ups. They are 6-2 against Groce during his Akron tenure. I'm guessing they're the only MAC program that we've had a losing record against over the last ~10 years.

This one won't be easy.  We've played better overall in the last month, but Toledo does seem to be our kryptonite (at least during the regular season).  It would be nice to keep things rolling and come out with a victory, but we will need to minimize turnovers and have good shot selection.