Game 5 - Buffalo

ZippyRulz

3 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Yup. We're a QB and a couple of better OL & DB from turning L's into W's.

Akron could be 4&1 with a better QB and a kicker who could make a FG three yards longer than an extra point. 

36 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So, to summarize, we are making progress by sucking less.  

I love this site, and I love the passionate Zip fans, but it doesnt matter how bad we suck, theres always stats or whatever thrown around about how close we are. By "we are close" I just now translate it to "we suck but I'm such a big fan that it hurts to admit the truth, so I'll just say something positive" 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I love this site, and I love the passionate Zip fans, but it doesnt matter how bad we suck, theres always stats or whatever thrown around about how close we are. By "we are close" I just now translate it to "we suck but I'm such a big fan that it hurts to admit the truth, so I'll just say something positive" 

My favorite column starts with a"W". 

19 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Maybe you should just tailgate and go home, pretending the Zips won. Seems to be a healthier approach to me.

That's what my best friend's husband used to do at the Rubber Bowl.  Partied Hearty in the lot outside the tunnel from up-top, then when the rest of the boys went in to watch, he drove home.... 

BW vs John Carrol had 6K Btw 

I don't think people realize how little students care about the team, you could offer people free food and they wouldn't come out because no one wants to watch systematic loosing football. Losing by 10 instead of 35 doesn't matter, you HAVE to win. Until then the stadium will be a ghost town. Every season we lose more zips fans

Screenshot_20231001_194659_X.jpg

Edited by Head coach Huell Jackson

Another heartbreaking game in which we find a way to lose. The issues that drive me nuts i.e. discipline, QB play, play calling, OL play and running the ball, keep coming back to one source, coaching. If we had a decent QB we would have 2-3 more wins. This staff knew DJ has gimpy going into the season. Did they plan for that? Did they prepare Taj, Jennings, Wassel or just work with Undercuffler? What they have done so far is terrible. Looking ahead Undercuffler cannot win against good MAC teams. 

For Joe having a rep as an offensive genius we have yet to see any sign of that. Our play calling does little to help the OL or put the ball in Lingart's and Anderson's hands. This is even though Joe has talked every week about the need to increase their touches. Who does he need permission from to make that happen? He answers only to himself and this issue is squarely on him. In this he is failing.

Joe shows signs of cleaning up the discipline issue. Compared to the Indiana game, the Buffalo game was a huge improvement. Yet it was a lack of discipline penalty that gave Buffalo their only TD drive, even though we had stopped them.

I predicted a 6-6 season. I now feel 4-8 is all the progress we will make this year. At least we have funnel cakes, soccer and basketball.

• Like 3

Say what you want about the coulda, shoulda won and lost but I just feel like I've watched four lousy football games between bad football teams. And I'm a lifelong fan like a lot of us and my interest in watching more this year is at an all time low. I guess I will be going to the church picnic next Saturday. 🥴

• Sad 1

"I guess I will be going to the church picnic next Saturday. 🥴"

At least you will be holy and well fed, which is more than I can say for most of us!  😈

• Like 1

The lack of wins thus far in 2023 is profoundly disappointing. And, I'm as beaten down and any remaining fan over the abject futility I've witnessed during my support of the program for the past 5 years. But I have zero doubt Joe Moorhead will turn this around. He has been incredibly successful at every stop along his college coaching career. Akron will be no different.

He inherited the worst program in Division 1. If we were #130, we were lightyears behind #129, let alone #78.

Joe needs to figure out an offense that can be effective with the talent he's got. And he needs to figure it out soon. It doesn't help that his QB room is now missing Irons, and stocked completely with unprovens and underwhelmers. But that's the cards he's dealt. We have very good WR's and RB's. That should be enough to win our share of MAC games. 

I love our defense. People forget that is was an achievement when Arth's teams could force a punt over 4 quarters. We've come such a long way on that side of the ball. 

I remember when MLB pitching coach Roger Craig was once asked, when his pitchers were getting shelled over an extended stretch, "As a 'pitching guru', how are you going to get your arms back on track?" Craig replied "Guru? Right now I ain't gooruin' worth a damn!"

I have to believe Joe feels the same way about himself, and the Zips offense right now. He has higher standards than the results produced by that side of the ball so far. 

I'd hoped it was possible for Joe to completely pull us out of the Arth Abyss in 17 games, but apparently it may take a few more. It sucks, but I 100% believe he'll get it done. 

• Like 9

21 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Say what you want about the coulda, shoulda won and lost but I just feel like I've watched four lousy football games between bad football teams. And I'm a lifelong fan like a lot of us and my interest in watching more this year is at an all time low. I guess I will be going to the church picnic next Saturday. 🥴

My bad, make that five lousy football games. I guess they are all running together by now. Just tired of bad, losing football. 

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It doesn't help that his QB room is now missing Irons, and stocked completely with unprovens and underwhelmers. But that's the cards he's dealt. We have very good WR's and RB's. That should be enough to win our share of MAC games. 

First, fantastic post. I'm in the Joe camp. 

I will say though, personnel is more than just being dealt cards. Recruiting at least allows a coach to determine which cards get dealt. I'll forgive Joe for his first recruiting class not having "his guy" at QB, but not the second. He has a huge name and should have brought someone in from the transfer portal after last year. There is something really wrong if he cannot get the QB situation fixed this off season. The rest of the deck is stacked in his favor. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GP1 said:

First, fantastic post. I'm in the Joe camp. 

I will say though, personnel is more than just being dealt cards. Recruiting at least allows a coach to determine which cards get dealt. I'll forgive Joe for his first recruiting class not having "his guy" at QB, but not the second. He has a huge name and should have brought someone in from the transfer portal after last year. There is something really wrong if he cannot get the QB situation fixed this off season. The rest of the deck is stacked in his favor. 

What I am afraid of is that some of his recruits, either from HS or via the portal may come in here, not like what they see or experience and leave by the portal. After 2 seasons, a name only goes so far. Players may see the record and question coming here.

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

What I am afraid of is that some of his recruits, either from HS or via the portal may come in here, not like what they see or experience and leave by the portal. After 2 seasons, a name only goes so far. Players may see the record and question coming here.

They may, but since half of all players in the portal never play again, there is a pretty full river of players to pick from. 

I like recruits who have won in high school or were on winning college programs. I'd like to see a QB from a winning program transfer in. Akron isn't just a talent change, but a cultural change. 

On 10/3/2023 at 12:18 PM, GP1 said:

They may, but since half of all players in the portal never play again, there is a pretty full river of players to pick from. 

I like recruits who have won in high school or were on winning college programs. I'd like to see a QB from a winning program transfer in. Akron isn't just a talent change, but a cultural change. 

If only it were that easy. Why is a QB from a ,winning' program( your example)transferring to Akron? Lots of better choices even in the MAC Toledo,OU... Winning HS players? Where do they go? Big 10, maybe another P5 conference or another G5 conference? 

The program has to perform better consistently, not just every 10 years or so. Sad!