2023-24 Season

Zippy87

On 11/5/2023 at 11:10 PM, Reslife4Life said:

When do we think Tribble will hit his first 3 of the season? I would put the over/under at 2.5 games with Heidelberg being game 3

Bump.

I'll bet we've all been pleasantly surprised with Greg hitting 2 3's in the first two games.  One being a nasty cross-over step-back 3 while purposely draining the shot clock.

Crossing my fingers he's still a moderately consistent 3-point threat heading into conference season.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

The fact that no Ali Ali decision has been rendered to this point is not good and a favorable decision gets more and more unlikely as time passes.

Believe the last reasonable hope is Ali has picked up enough credits to be a 'grad student' by the semester break and is eligible then. If that's not the issue, I agree NCAA odds are not in his favor. BUT ... with the plethora of on-line courses and available tutors, shame on Akron if that is indeed the issue and this can't get done.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I heard that Ali had 8 credit hours left to complete which would be done this semester.

That's what I am figuring makes the most sense, i.e., he won't be eligible until next semester.

If he ends up not eligible at all this season it's a huge whiff by Groce & Co.

19 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That's what I am figuring makes the most sense, i.e., he won't be eligible until next semester.

It wouldn't be great but they would have him for next year.  

I spoke to him very briefly at the practice before they left for Puerto Rico.  He and Groce came over by where I was sitting and Groce thanked me for coming.  I said it looked like they were coming into shape and he said what a joy it was to coach kids like this, motioning towards Ali.  I said "welcome back" and he responded with some sincerity "it's good to be back."  I think he regrets that lost year at Butler and now realizes what he gave up.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It wouldn't be great but they would have him for next year.  

I spoke to him very briefly at the practice before they left for Puerto Rico.  He and Groce came over by where I was sitting and Groce thanked me for coming.  I said it looked like they were coming into shape and he said what a joy it was to coach kids like this, motioning towards Ali.  I said "welcome back" and he responded with some sincerity "it's good to be back."  I think he regrets that lost year at Butler and now realizes what he gave up.  

A UA assistant told me earlier this year Ali admitted it was the wrong decision, especially to go where he did, and Ali took it upon himself to make sure the team would welcome him back. And they did with open arms. Whether he plays or not this year, he’s already added tremendous value in being able to practice with the team and provide guidance to the young guys. Things most people don’t think about. I much prefer this move instead of getting another Maishe Dailey or Trimble. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

A UA assistant told me earlier this year Ali admitted it was the wrong decision, especially to go where he did, and Ali took it upon himself to make sure the team would welcome him back. And they did with open arms. Whether he plays or not this year, he’s already added tremendous value in being able to practice with the team and provide guidance to the young guys. Things most people don’t think about. I much prefer this move instead of getting another Maishe Dailey or Trimble. 

Why do you say, "...especially to go where he did,"?

And I agree.  Him practicing with the team everyday is great for everyone, and with his transfer experience he could be one of our best recruiters.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Why do you say, "...especially to go where he did,"?

And I agree.  Him practicing with the team everyday is great for everyone, and with his transfer experience he could be one of our best recruiters.

Specifically with Butler, it was a program in its first season with a head coach who had been out of the game for a few years, a program that’s been pretty bad for a few years, and was in the toughest league in the country. Bad bad mix. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If he is 8 credits short of graduating and this is his 2nd transfer and you have to sit a year on your 2nd transfer unless you are a graduate transfer,  can anyone explain what they are arguing to the NCAA that he should not sit until after he graduates?  

18 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

If he is 8 credits short of graduating and this is his 2nd transfer and you have to sit a year on your 2nd transfer unless you are a graduate transfer,  can anyone explain what they are arguing to the NCAA that he should not sit until after he graduates?  

This is what's confusing to me as well. Was there a class or classes that didn't transfer?

38 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

From my understanding, the last few years, pretty much since Covid, the NCAA has been very lenient on giving out waivers for 2nd transfers. All you had to do was claim some kind of hardship and your waiver would be approved. Earlier this year, they announced that they were going to be a lot more strict, but only after many players transferred assuming they would get the waiver. It is the same issue that affected Aziz in Cincy and the Kent WR that transferred to UNC.

I understand why it is annoying for people who are losing out, but I am happy that the rules seem to be more uniform once again and it doesn't feel like the NCAA is playing favorites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

From my understanding, the last few years, pretty much since Covid, the NCAA has been very lenient on giving out waivers for 2nd transfers. All you had to do was claim some kind of hardship and your waiver would be approved. Earlier this year, they announced that they were going to be a lot more strict, but only after many players transferred assuming they would get the waiver. It is the same issue that affected Aziz in Cincy and the Kent WR that transferred to UNC.

I understand why it is annoying for people who are losing out, but I am happy that the rules seem to be more uniform once again and it doesn't feel like the NCAA is playing favorites.

I'm guessing some grades from Akron did not transfer to Butler ... but it probably didn't matter because it was his first transfer. There's Scuttlebutt Ali was not at his best, academically, at Butler. Am guessing many of his Butler grades did not transfer back to Akron ... HOWEVER ... his old Akron grades are now back in play. The issue could now be two-fold. 1) Ali needed to get grades to be eligible, which was likely accomplished over the summer and first semester. 2) He could also need the hours to qualify as a grad student. IT'S ALL JUST A GUESS ... but what else do we have to work with.

He could be 'eligible' but the NCAA could deny waiver because it is his second transfer. The easiest way to beat the 2nd transfer rule is to be a 'grad student.'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I think everyone's issue with this is primarily what you pointed out - the NCAA announced this after a large number of players had already submitted transfer requests. It would've made sense for them to announce it and start enforcing it more with the next wave of transfers, but the NCAA generally avoids making sense.

16 minutes ago, tomzip said:

Just getting on board a plane wearing my Akron hat with that giant new A. The PCCC basketball team is also on the flight with coaches and families and they have to walk past row 10 all looking at me 😆.  They are headed to play Hampton

I dare you to look them in the eye and say "no videos please."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomzip said:

Just getting on board a plane wearing my Akron hat with that giant new A. The PCCC basketball team is also on the flight with coaches and families and they have to walk past row 10 all looking at me 😆.  They are headed to play Hampton

"Excuse me, flight attendant? Do we have any crayons and coloring pages we could give those boys to keep them entertained AND assist them with obtaining their degrees?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2