Game 7- CMU

clarkwgriswold

I guess somebody has to post a game thread!

The Zips head to Mount Pleasant this Saturday to face CMU in their Homecoming Game.  The Chippewas come into the game at 3-3 win off of a 37-13 loss at Canada.  They've beaten EMU, Southern Alabama and New Hampshire while falling to Canada, Michigan State and Notre Dame.

I can't imagine going through the misery of fall camp and being half way through the year and still not having an FBS win yet. I'd like to think this team has had enough losing, but everyone finds their comfort zone. Some teams are just comfortable losing. 

10 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I can't imagine going through the misery of fall camp and being half way through the year and still not having an FBS win yet. I'd like to think this team has had enough losing, but everyone finds their comfort zone. Some teams are just comfortable losing. 

Especially when you’re so close to having a handful. But reality is, with how they’ve looked this year, Akron is what its record is. Had they held on vs. Temple or made the kick vs. Indiana, it really wouldn’t change much as far as how poor they’ve looked overall. At this point, you wonder how much mentality and frustration is kicking in. Last year, after 3 close MAC losses, they got their asses handed to them by Miami and it felt like a setback. Saturday was a lot like that. But I hope the coaches are able to convince these guys that everyone on this schedule is still extremely beatable. 

Their opponent this week is a CMU team who has, like Akron, shown a few flashes of greatness but also moments of dread. They were able to win a couple more close ones, though. The mean of both of these teams is very close. 

• Like 1

CMU 31-3, likely. I think the team has packed it in for the year. The Buffalo loss was so demoralizing that they didn't bother showing up to their own homecoming game.

Ah, who am I kidding, it won't be 3 points. That would mean we can make a field goal attempt. 31-6, we'll miss the extra point.

Series history vs. CMU: https://www.winsipedia.com/akron/vs/central-michigan

Zips haven't won in Mt. P since 2003. In 2006 during the title defense season, UA went up there following the win at NC State. The Zips' comeback effort fell short as they dug themselves in too deep a hole after a 100-yard pick six thrown by Getsy right before halftime. Then last year, of course, the fumble heard round the world kept Akron from getting Moorhead's first signature win at Akron. 

Here are a few random thoughts as we seemingly trudge into the second half of the season...

• The CMU game isn't a "must win." But is would be an "unbelievably a huge, uplifting win" game. Since 2018, any sort of Zips win has been followed with such a lengthy string of losses that you hardly remember it. We need a win in the worst way. 
  • Bullock is the obvious choice to finish the season. Undercuffler COULD win us a game or two...just as easily as he could throw us out them. Bullock has a chance to be the QB of the future, and this is the best opportunity for him to learn. And he does need to learn...he is far from a polished product. At least throwing the ball...running is a different story. He looks really good running the option near the goal line. And nifty when scrambling too. I'd LOVE to see him hit on a few long pass plays this week.
  • I miss Alex Adams. He was such a difference maker last year.
  • Drake Anderson is a good RB. But he doesn't break many tackles. I would love to see Kellom start getting some carries at Drake's expense. Like Undercuffler, Drake is a Sr and has had ample opportunity show his stuff. We're 1-5...time to get Kellom ramping up for 2024.
  • Joe mentioned in his show that OL is the most difficult position to fill from the portal, since "everyone is looking for them, and there just aren't many out there." That why our OL discards were gobbled up by the likes of East Carolina and Liberty. If you're over 6' 2", 300 lbs, someone will take you. Losing Landers (grades) and Whigan (grad) didn't help us this year. I hope a lot of our incumbent guys stick around and get bigger/stronger for 2024. There's no guarantee anything worthwhile will magically appear in the portal.
  • I still believe in Joe. Nothing in his past shows he won't turn this around. He can't be fired due to his contract ( I guess Kaulig could always buy it out). Guthrie would be a laughing stock if he fired such an accomplished coach only 2 seasons after undertaking The Mother of All Rebuild Projects. So he's back next year 100%. Heck...Faust and Owens got 9 years each.
  • I knew a few guys from the Owens era. They always spoke of the frustration of the offense (who was always very effective), because the defense would be lucky to force 2 punts in any given game.  "Do we have to put up 48 today to have a chance?" was a common jab at the defense by one OL. It's the opposite now. Other than a couple Irons runs, and maybe two Lingard breakaways...they've been really bad every week. No identity...no rhythm. No fun. What's the over/under on explosive plays by the Zips offense this week? I'd guess 1 or 2? In garbage time? That is the most puzzling thing about the 2023 Zips.
  • This season has not been any fun. Ditto 2018 through 2022. A win against Kent, and either CMU or BG is the bare minimum I need to start feeling optimistic about 2024. Man, it would be nice to get a win in Mount Pleasant. 
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Chrisball96 said:

My question is whether after last weeks debacle they go back to Undercuffler? 

No, JM has said they're sticking with Bullock and he wasn't the primary problem last week. It was his first start and full game; he should only improve game by game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrisball96 said:

My question is whether after last weeks debacle they go back to Undercuffler? It’s just such a mess without Irons so I don’t know what the solution is but not sure it can get any worse, no?

Welcome to ZN.o, @Chrisball96! Glad you're here!

Here 👇 is the article from the ABJ where JoeMo comments on committing to Tahj over Undercuffler.

Idk if this is a subscriber only article, but in case it is I'll paste a few sentences for you:

“Jeff played in the win against Northern Illinois last year and did some nice things and obviously [replaced Irons in] the game against Buffalo,” Moorhead said, “but has had some opportunities this year and really hasn't kind of stepped up to seize that opportunity that was presented [after Irons was injured].

“Then, quite frankly, with what we're trying to do in the run game and trying to help out our offensive line that certainly needs a lot of help, Tahj provides a different element in the run game that Jeff doesn't. So part of the idea was we've got to do some things to help out the offensive line and have Tahj get some run yards, which he did today. So that factored into the decision.”

Don't be a stranger, @Chrisball96!

Go Zips!

• Like 1

These guys were as lucky as any opponent since 2009 to leave InfoCision with a win. Luckiest win I've seen there, until the Morgan State fumble this year. McElwain looked despondent most of the year last year, not too unlike Joe this year. I'd love to give them payback and ruin their homecoming with a crushing loss.

With that said, these guys looked like they were going to contend for a MAC title...then they went to Buffalo. I'm assuming they drove through Canada, so maybe the long and difficult bus ride played into their struggles. Since going with Jase Bauer at QB, they started to look the part once again. He's a decent thrower and very good runner. Their skill players leave quite a bit to be desired, but they're the usual solid CMU team. Solid, but beatable. 

Through the first two games of MAC play, Akron has fallen into old habits. Poor line play, poor QB play, invisible defense. Even against Buffalo where they only surrendered 1 TD, they didn't record a turnover. It's so hard to win when you lose the turnover battle. Each turnover is a guaranteed stop and extra chance to score yourself. If we can force Bauer to air it out, I like our chances to get a pick or two. 

The big thing at this point has to be mentality. It's a big opportunity to show that the culture has indeed swung. Coach said after the BG game last year that the days of Akron rolling over and quitting are done. I guess we'll find out. I'm still a little shell-shocked that we're only 6 games in and the season already feels over. We have a streaky CMU team, bad BG team, bad Kent team, streaky EMU team and a couple divisional rivals still ahead of us. It hurts to think about what this season could have been. This has hurt more than any of these terrible seasons we've been through. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Welcome to ZN.o, @Chrisball96! Glad you're here!

Here 👇 is the article from the ABJ where JoeMo comments on committing to Tahj over Undercuffler.

Idk if this is a subscriber only article, but in case it is I'll paste a few sentences for you:

“Jeff played in the win against Northern Illinois last year and did some nice things and obviously [replaced Irons in] the game against Buffalo,” Moorhead said, “but has had some opportunities this year and really hasn't kind of stepped up to seize that opportunity that was presented [after Irons was injured].

“Then, quite frankly, with what we're trying to do in the run game and trying to help out our offensive line that certainly needs a lot of help, Tahj provides a different element in the run game that Jeff doesn't. So part of the idea was we've got to do some things to help out the offensive line and have Tahj get some run yards, which he did today. So that factored into the decision.”

Don't be a stranger, @Chrisball96!

Go Zips!

Thanks for this! I suppose that if you're going to pick a guy you'd do best to stick with it. It makes sense given the way irons was operating the offense, so there will at least be continuity of play style there. Nowhere to go but up!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

the line dropped from 12.5 to 10 on draftkings sometime on friday..

Strange, isn’t it? Bettors have been giving Akron a lot of late-week love all year long. I figured it would stop after last week. I guess they see CMU’s result at Buffalo and feel like 12 is a lot of points. 

Speaking of…Buffalo is a 4-point favorite at home vs. BG. They’ve done the same thing 2 straight years. Open with FCS losses in nonconference and start the first few weeks of MAC play undefeated. 

23 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

These guys were as lucky as any opponent since 2009 to leave InfoCision with a win. Luckiest win I've seen there, until the Morgan State fumble this year. McElwain looked despondent most of the year last year, not too unlike Joe this year. I'd love to give them payback and ruin their homecoming with a crushing loss.

With that said, these guys looked like they were going to contend for a MAC title...then they went to Buffalo. I'm assuming they drove through Canada, so maybe the long and difficult bus ride played into their struggles. Since going with Jase Bauer at QB, they started to look the part once again. He's a decent thrower and very good runner. Their skill players leave quite a bit to be desired, but they're the usual solid CMU team. Solid, but beatable. 

Through the first two games of MAC play, Akron has fallen into old habits. Poor line play, poor QB play, invisible defense. Even against Buffalo where they only surrendered 1 TD, they didn't record a turnover. It's so hard to win when you lose the turnover battle. Each turnover is a guaranteed stop and extra chance to score yourself. If we can force Bauer to air it out, I like our chances to get a pick or two. 

The big thing at this point has to be mentality. It's a big opportunity to show that the culture has indeed swung. Coach said after the BG game last year that the days of Akron rolling over and quitting are done. I guess we'll find out. I'm still a little shell-shocked that we're only 6 games in and the season already feels over. We have a streaky CMU team, bad BG team, bad Kent team, streaky EMU team and a couple divisional rivals still ahead of us. It hurts to think about what this season could have been. This has hurt more than any of these terrible seasons we've been through. 

Wasted season for sure. Great point on the turnovers. Hard to win when the offense turns it over 12 times vs 8 for the defense. Couple in spotty QB and OL play, along with some stubborn play-calling, and here we are. Team could still turn the corner, but it’s taken way too long. Another opportunity today, so we’ll see.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 4