Game 7- CMU

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

All you guys bitching on here about the QB play need to put your money where your mouth is. If you want a talented QB, it takes money in this NIL day and age. I'll start a go fund me page to finance it. It should only cost about $150k.

Serious question, is there a NIL collective us peasant Zips fans can donate to?

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

All you guys bitching on here about the QB play need to put your money where your mouth is. If you want a talented QB, it takes money in this NIL day and age. I'll start a go fund me page to finance it. It should only cost about $150k.

Ya!!!!!  Why should people publicly voice their criticism of an organization their tax dollars support. It seems unAmerican to do so. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

A scholarship is a series of one year contracts that aren't guaranteed to be renewed. Players can absolutely be fired. Many should be fired.

Technically, you are correct but generally speaking most teams will honor their commitment to the players that have earned a scholarship unless the player defaults on his commitment to keep the scholarship or if there is a coaching change…

10 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

Technically, you are correct but generally speaking most teams will honor their commitment to the players that have earned a scholarship unless the player defaults on his commitment to keep the scholarship or if there is a coaching change…

Yes and with all due respect I’m not sure that revoking scholarships for playing poorly is going to have a positive impact on recruiting. 

3 hours ago, Chrisball96 said:

I may not have the depth of knowledge regarding Akron football that others here do, but I think we’ve seen what Bullock and Undercuffler can do, so what is the harm of letting our younger guys get a chance? 

I'm guessing JM gives the dynamic duo one more game to see if anything clicks. If not and we lose again, maybe we'll see the  youngsters play some in the last 4 games when they can't lose their redshirt and there is zero pressure on them.

5 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'm guessing JM gives the dynamic duo one more game to see if anything clicks. If not and we lose again, maybe we'll see the  youngsters play some in the last 4 games when they can't lose their redshirt and there is zero pressure on them.

We're in a tough spot. If we lose this week @ BUGS, our next game would be the Wagon Wheel game vs. KSUcks 😕

3 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

I'm sure we could upgrade for much less. How much for a semi-talented MAC-ready guy?

11 hours ago, Chrisball96 said:

Yes and with all due respect I’m not sure that revoking scholarships for playing poorly is going to have a positive impact on recruiting. 

It's awesome for recruiting. It lets a player know you think so much of him you will open a spot for him. It also is appealing to a hyper competitive kid, which we need to turn around the culture. Coach Prime has done a great job of this. 

40 minutes ago, GP1 said:

It's awesome for recruiting. It lets a player know you think so much of him you will open a spot for him. It also is appealing to a hyper competitive kid, which we need to turn around the culture. Coach Prime has done a great job of this. 

He’s basically already done this. Except it was done over two offseasons as opposed to one. Only about 25 players remain from the Arth era. Of those 25, 7 are current starters. Could say 8 starters if including Irons.

Gathings

Chambers

N. Williams

Adler

Lewis

C. Thomas

Durant

Edited by catdaddyp

13 hours ago, GP1 said:

Ya!!!!!  Why should people publicly voice their criticism of an organization their tax dollars support. It seems unAmerican to do so. 

I totally support the idea that people can bitch all they want. But bitching about things doesn't accomplish anything. If you want a winning program you need to play by the rules of NIL.  A good QB transfer will want to get paid. 

12 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I totally support the idea that people can bitch all they want. But bitching about things doesn't accomplish anything. If you want a winning program you need to play by the rules of NIL.  A good QB transfer will want to get paid. 

NIL, SCHMIL…

Our G5 competition isn’t shelling out big NIL money to get players. That’s for P5 programs. 

Pro teams like the Cowboys or Mets shell out huge money every year and win nothing. The Guardians are always competitive, with 1/3 the budget.

You think if Kaulig donated 50k to UA we’d spend it on anything but a sack of beans and some shiny trinkets?

The next Getsy, Frye, Johnson, Washington, Jacquemain, Woodson…Dalton Williams…whomever… is out there and it doesn’t take 50k to identify and develop them. 

Big off-season for Joe in the QB department. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

You think if Kaulig donated 50k to UA we’d spend it on anything but a sack of beans and some shiny trinkets?

Lol!

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The next Getsy, Frye, Johnson, Washington, Jacquemain, Woodson…Dalton Williams…whomever… is out there and it doesn’t take 50k to identify and develop them.

It might take $50 to keep them.

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

NIL, SCHMIL…

Our G5 competition isn’t shelling out big NIL money to get players. That’s for P5 programs. 

Pro teams like the Cowboys or Mets shell out huge money every year and win nothing. The Guardians are always competitive, with 1/3 the budget.

Big off-season for Joe in the QB department. 

This. Our QB struggles aren't due to a lack of NIL. Our QB struggles are due to coaching, whether it be in the recruiting department, development, or system/play calling. Next year there needs to be a competent QB under center with complimentary, competent play calling that moves this offense. As you said, Captain, big off-season for Joe in the QB department. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GP1 said:

https://miamiredhawks.com/sports/football/roster

This is a roster of one of the top 3 teams in the MAC. They just became eligible for a bowl 7 games into the season. They made a bowl for the 8th time in 9 years. They have some.local players.but don't rely on them. 

They aren't doing well because they recruit locally. The are doing well because they recruit good players who fit their system. 

???  Their HC is in his tenth season. This year will be their 5th bowl game but they have had only 4 winning seasons and I mean marginally (7-6, 7-5, 2-1 in COVID year) in his tenure. Two of their bowl seasons ended with losing records. During the 70s -90s, they had multiple seasons of 10-1 where they didn’t get a bowl invite due to lack of conference tie-ins and bowl games.

You’re correct that he barely recruits Ohio, but that is why he has been mediocre there. The Miami teams of the 70s - early 2000s were totally dominated by Ohio recruits, most specifically NE Ohio from their linemen to their skill position players. They and Toledo are the two dominant MAC teams in history with Miami still having the most wins and championships, despite Toledo being the more consistent program over the last 20 years. Toledo still concentrates locally (Detroit), Martin couldn’t find NE Ohio (or SW Ohio to a lesser extent) on a map despite his brother coaching a local D6 power (Cuyahoga Hts). 

I realize most Zips fans would be thrilled with Miami’s recent bowl appearances but it is the result of the overall weakness of the MAC and the proliferation of bowl games, not the strength of their non-Ohio roster. They have fallen far from their glory days since all but abandoning Ohio. Trust me, I was no fan of Arth in the end, but he was trying to establish an Ohiocentric recruiting culture with kids whom Akron was their first choice. In the end, he was out of his league but right now, it’s hard to argue that his record would be any worse than what Moorhead has done. I get he had a good track record at PSU and MSU ( Oregon- meh), but his biggest problem right now is his stubbornness ( failure to adapt his offense with what he has at QB) and cockiness ( “I could be in the NFL or at a P5 but I came here”). BS - he lowered himself because he was going to be out of a job, but was still being paid the big bucks and his wife told him to take the extra $$$  for a couple years while we’re closer to family, and then we’ll move on.  

All the QB problems are of his making, he anointed DJ from the jump because he had recruited him out of HS and with the knowledge of a lot of tape from the ‘21 season that wasn’t all that great. He is responsible for bringing in both Undercuffler and Tahj. Finally he recruited both Jennings and Wasel, neither of whom was rated highly by the recruiting services. Dijon was a three star in Ohio, but looking at his tape, he is not a D1 QB, even as a RPO type in Jo MO’s system. The rating was based more as an athlete. Wasel wasn’t even rated until the final days of the recruiting cycle when he ended up at an FBS. So all these kids with the exception of Jankowski are his and the position is a mess. Even if he is correct and Wasel is as good as some people here think, than why isn’t he getting an opportunity in this era. If the kid is a superstar these days, they are leaving after three years and if a kid doesn’t get a shot in the first two years they are hitting the portal. Saving a RS in this situation is stupid unless he isn’t ready. 

Lastly, all of Moorhead’s posturing since he took the job makes him look remarkably like Sean Payton in Denver. My prediction is he is looking to get out again at seasons end, most likely at a lower figure than he was hoping for last year when he interviewed or as soon as he can get 4 wins in a season and declare it some miraculous accomplishment only made possible by his genius, again at a discount to what he originally figured. After that, I don’t know what Akron’s choices could possibly be but I’m starting to agree with Dre22 that Tyrell may be the only option with his knowledge of NE Ohio players and HS coaches.  I still feel Vince Kehres was the best choice when they passed him over for Arth. 

• Like 2

Chuck Martin has won a MAC Championship, and has maintained a level of success since they started his third season 0-6 before running the table. He's been on the brink of deserving to be fired quite a few times, but has assembled a very strong program that has had the same starting QB for 5 seasons. He has been more than mediocre, especially with how up and down most of the rest of the league has been since 2014. 

The secret to solving the QB problem is to recruit your own and build them up, as OU, Toledo, and Miami all have enroute to championships and/or appearances in the title. Perhaps the portal will provide the MAC with more talented QBs as the years go by, but most of the best QBs in the league come in as freshman. I want to see what Wasel can do at some point before this season is over for that very reason. Get his feet wet, get him hungry and keep him interested if he was indeed brought in to be the QB of the future. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

???  Their HC is in his tenth season. This year will be their 5th bowl game but they have had only 4 winning seasons and I mean marginally (7-6, 7-5, 2-1 in COVID year) in his tenure. Two of their bowl seasons ended with losing records. During the 70s -90s, they had multiple seasons of 10-1 where they didn’t get a bowl invite due to lack of conference tie-ins and bowl games.

You’re correct that he barely recruits Ohio, but that is why he has been mediocre there. The Miami teams of the 70s - early 2000s were totally dominated by Ohio recruits, most specifically NE Ohio from their linemen to their skill position players. They and Toledo are the two dominant MAC teams in history with Miami still having the most wins and championships, despite Toledo being the more consistent program over the last 20 years. Toledo still concentrates locally (Detroit), Martin couldn’t find NE Ohio (or SW Ohio to a lesser extent) on a map despite his brother coaching a local D6 power (Cuyahoga Hts). 

I realize most Zips fans would be thrilled with Miami’s recent bowl appearances but it is the result of the overall weakness of the MAC and the proliferation of bowl games, not the strength of their non-Ohio roster. They have fallen far from their glory days since all but abandoning Ohio. Trust me, I was no fan of Arth in the end, but he was trying to establish an Ohiocentric recruiting culture with kids whom Akron was their first choice. In the end, he was out of his league but right now, it’s hard to argue that his record would be any worse than what Moorhead has done. I get he had a good track record at PSU and MSU ( Oregon- meh), but his biggest problem right now is his stubbornness ( failure to adapt his offense with what he has at QB) and cockiness ( “I could be in the NFL or at a P5 but I came here”). BS - he lowered himself because he was going to be out of a job, but was still being paid the big bucks and his wife told him to take the extra $$$  for a couple years while we’re closer to family, and then we’ll move on.  

All the QB problems are of his making, he anointed DJ from the jump because he had recruited him out of HS and with the knowledge of a lot of tape from the ‘21 season that wasn’t all that great. He is responsible for bringing in both Undercuffler and Tahj. Finally he recruited both Jennings and Wasel, neither of whom was rated highly by the recruiting services. Dijon was a three star in Ohio, but looking at his tape, he is not a D1 QB, even as a RPO type in Jo MO’s system. The rating was based more as an athlete. Wasel wasn’t even rated until the final days of the recruiting cycle when he ended up at an FBS. So all these kids with the exception of Jankowski are his and the position is a mess. Even if he is correct and Wasel is as good as some people here think, than why isn’t he getting an opportunity in this era. If the kid is a superstar these days, they are leaving after three years and if a kid doesn’t get a shot in the first two years they are hitting the portal. Saving a RS in this situation is stupid unless he isn’t ready. 

Lastly, all of Moorhead’s posturing since he took the job makes him look remarkably like Sean Payton in Denver. My prediction is he is looking to get out again at seasons end, most likely at a lower figure than he was hoping for last year when he interviewed or as soon as he can get 4 wins in a season and declare it some miraculous accomplishment only made possible by his genius, again at a discount to what he originally figured. After that, I don’t know what Akron’s choices could possibly be but I’m starting to agree with Dre22 that Tyrell may be the only option with his knowledge of NE Ohio players and HS coaches.  I still feel Vince Kehres was the best choice when they passed him over for Arth. 

I’ll just touch on the recruitment of Wasel and Jennings. Wasel was ranked a 3 star by Rivals since late 2021. At one time he was listed as the 20th best player in Oklahoma. After committing to Akron, he later fell to 28th overall. After receiving his initial rating, he stayed as a (5.6) 3 star by Rivals, which is high for MAC status.

Jennings was not given a rating by Rivals until signing day, despite being offered by Kentucky back in January of 2020. However, UK eventually backed off. To my knowledge, Jennings did not do many camps and therefore flew under the radar outside of the MAC footprint.

I stand by what I’ve been saying in that this staff has majorly upgraded the talent level on this roster. The QB problem is masking much of that. Arth’s last class (before being let go) was off to a horrendous start and it was unlikely it would have picked up much, if at all.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Chuck Martin has won a MAC Championship, and has maintained a level of success since they started his third season 0-6 before running the table. He's been on the brink of deserving to be fired quite a few times, but has assembled a very strong program that has had the same starting QB for 5 seasons. He has been more than mediocre, especially with how up and down most of the rest of the league has been since 2014. 

The secret to solving the QB problem is to recruit your own and build them up, as OU, Toledo, and Miami all have enroute to championships and/or appearances in the title. Perhaps the portal will provide the MAC with more talented QBs as the years go by, but most of the best QBs in the league come in as freshman. I want to see what Wasel can do at some point before this season is over for that very reason. Get his feet wet, get him hungry and keep him interested if he was indeed brought in to be the QB of the future. 

I don’t dispute any of your response other than he has assembled a strong program and been more than mediocre. His OOC record is 3-31 or something close to that. It’s a program that has had probably a half dozen top 25 finishes in its history and at least three top 10 finishes. His overall record is mediocre but he has been successful in the MAC to a degree. Yes, they are successful this year due to his 5th year QB ( Who entered the portal briefly but returned) and a strong defense. As noted, that is mostly due to the MAC’s weakness. 

Completely agree with how Akron should follow the big 3’s blueprint at QB, but my greater point was that local recruiting is still important. Granted, like some others have said, the recruiting landscape is different, kids go national more now, Ohio has lost population etc,etc. But Ohio is still one of the top 7 sates for high school recruiting and Akron’s greatest advantage over the rest of the MAC (with the exception of Kent) is its locale in the middle of NE Ohio (which is still the strength of OHio HS football and western PA. They need to make better use of this advantage to build up the whole program through HS recruiting and development as you suggest the big three have. I agree, that OU and Toledo have stuck to local and Ohio, Miami not so much and nowhere near when they were much more successful.

2 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

You’re correct that he barely recruits Ohio, but that is why he has been mediocre there.

This is the sort of thing someone says when they know there is no way to be proven wrong.....or right for that matter, but it sounds great. His last five full years have been solid. He is averaging over six wins a year and two seasons with 8 and 7 wins respectively. 75% of the MAC would love to be able to say that.

He recruits Ohio, but the main focus isn't NW Ohio.  The point I'm making is fans from NE Ohio believe there is more/better D1 talent around NE Ohio than reality. There isn't a place in the country that doesn't overestimate the quality of high school football in their part of the country. It's natural for fans to feel a sense of pride about history and where they live. The main point is a coach can't fill his roster up with future transfer portal players just because he thinks fans will be happy if he recruits his local region. There is little evidence this works as a strategy for schools outside Florida, Texas and California. 

3 of last 6 MAC Championships have been won by Miami or Toledo. I've already the point about Miami. I could make almost the exact point about Toledo and Toledo has won almost 80 games over the past 10 years. 

Edited by GP1

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

I’ll just touch on the recruitment of Wasel and Jennings. Wasel was ranked a 3 star by Rivals since late 2021. At one time he was listed as the 20th best player in Oklahoma. After committing to Akron, he later fell to 28th overall. He was always a (5.6) 3 star by Rivals, which is high for MAC status.

Jennings was not given a rating by Rivals until signing day, despite being offered by Kentucky back in January of 2020. However, UK eventually backed off. To my knowledge, Jennings did not do many camps and therefore flew under the radar outside of the MAC footprint.

I pretty much followed 247 which I realize has its flaws, but Wasel wasn’t rated at all until after signing. I will accept your Rivals citation but being 28th or even 20th in Oklahoma is like being top 150-200 in Ohio, even now with Ohio’s HS base less than what it once was. Still a top 7 state. Oklahoma,Ok St and Tulsa would not be D1 if they didn’t sit next to Texas.

6 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

I don’t dispute any of your response other than he has assembled a strong program and been more than mediocre. His OOC record is 3-31 or something close to that. It’s a program that has had probably a half dozen top 25 finishes in its history and at least three top 10 finishes. His overall record is mediocre but he has been successful in the MAC to a degree. Yes, they are successful this year due to his 5th year QB ( Who entered the portal briefly but returned) and a strong defense. As noted, that is mostly due to the MAC’s weakness. 

Completely agree with how Akron should follow the big 3’s blueprint at QB, but my greater point was that local recruiting is still important. Granted, like some others have said, the recruiting landscape is different, kids go national more now, Ohio has lost population etc,etc. But Ohio is still one of the top 7 sates for high school recruiting and Akron’s greatest advantage over the rest of the MAC (with the exception of Kent) is its locale in the middle of NE Ohio (which is still the strength of OHio HS football and western PA. They need to make better use of this advantage to build up the whole program through HS recruiting and development as you suggest the big three have. I agree, that OU and Toledo have stuck to local and Ohio, Miami not so much and nowhere near when they were much more successful.

Fair response indeed. But in most cases, the focus on NeO is totally overstated, as is the legit level of talent. Akron public schools are terrible, only producing maybe 1-2 legit D1 prospects as a whole every year. Hoban produces the most D1 talent aside from schools like Ed's, and Hoban has had far most busts or flameouts than guys who've gone on to have successful college careers. The whole idea of recruiting locally to save the program or improve the program is a pretty outdated thing. College football is more national than it has ever been. I don't dispute that Akron should be in play for more of the high level local recruits, but the landscape around here isn't as fruitful as it once was.

The portal is a much more complicated game than the average fan realizes. In basketball, you often need to have some kind of prior connection to land someone of substance who has a lot of experience and talent, like an Ali Ali. Or, you take a shot on a guy from the bench with limited experience but flashes of talent, like Xeyrius Williams or Maishe Dailey. Same thing applies for QB. The best FBS transfer QBs are going to be from P5 looking to stay P5, or G5 going to P5. We're not, in all likelihood, ever going to see a QB go from tearing it up in the P5 or G5 and then come to a school like Akron. Even the best FCS QBs are going to go low-tier P5 to get a look for the draft, or somewhere like an American conference school to do the same. That leaves the Akrons of the world looking for a QB and winding up with a pool of guys like Undercuffler, who was an okay FCS QB, or Bullock, who was not a good P5 QB but has some nice physical traits.

Transfer QBs who have been decent in the MAC are Rocky Lombardi, Connor Bazelak, and Matt McDonald. You could argue that the 2 from BG are bad, but they have at least shown to be capableat times. Bazelak was a turnover machine at Mizzou and Indiana, and McDonald was never going to make it at BC so he came to BG with the coach. Lombardi was a flameout at MSU, and has become a solid game manager for a lethal run game in his years at NIU. Maybe I'm forgetting others right now, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the idea that going out and getting a good QB from the portal is even possible for Akron. 

17 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

I pretty much followed 247 which I realize has its flaws, but Wasel wasn’t rated at all until after signing. I will accept your Rivals citation but being 28th or even 20th in Oklahoma is like being top 150-200 in Ohio, even now with Ohio’s HS base less than what it once was. Still a top 7 state. Oklahoma,Ok St and Tulsa would not be D1 if they didn’t sit next to Texas.

While some states do produce higher quality than others, I wouldn’t agree on that ratio. Especially when recruiting can be cyclical in states not named Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California. 

As far as Wasel goes, he would have likely received an offer from Oregon and gone there had JoeMo stayed as OC. Regardless, he is a talent that will hopefully be developed sooner than later.

I don’t disagree with an effort of recruiting the state of Ohio, but JoeMo and his staff have a long reach and would be foolish not to use it. Getting the best players no matter where they are located should be the goal. That being said, more Ohio quarterbacks will probably fill the pipeline due to Brad Maendler and his quarterback factory.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, GP1 said:

This is the sort of thing someone says when they know there is no way to be proven wrong.....or right for that matter, but it sounds great. His last five full years have been solid. He is averaging over six wins a year and two seasons with 8 and 7 wins respectively. 75% of the MAC would love to be able to say that.

He recruits Ohio, but the main focus isn't NW Ohio.  The point I'm making is fans from NE Ohio believe there is more/better D1 talent around NE Ohio than reality. There isn't a place in the country that doesn't overestimate the quality of high school football in their part of the country. It's natural for fans to feel a sense of pride about history and where they live. The main point is a coach can't fill his roster up with future transfer portal players just because he thinks fans will be happy if he recruits his local region. There is little evidence this works as a strategy for schools outside Florida, Texas and California. 

3 of last 6 MAC Championships have been won by Miami or Toledo. I've already the point about Miami. I could make almost the exact point about Toledo and Toledo has won almost 80 games over the past 10 years. 

GP  - He is averaging over 6 wins a year. Me- 6 wins a year over 10 years, based on Miami’s history is… Mediocre.

GP - the main focus isn’t NW Ohio. Me - agreed, I said NE Ohio, NW Ohio and Detroit are where Toledo still make their mark.

GP - there isn’t a place in the country that doesn’t overestimate their local talent. Me- Agree, not suggesting you only recruit locally but Ne Ohio was the reason Miami was more successful for 30 years in the MAC than anybody else. Their emphasis now is more Indiana, Illinois than Ohio and sorry those states are still not Ohio when it comes to HS talent. 

GP - a coach can’t fill his roster with portal players just because he thinks fans will be happy with local recruits. Me - exactly, but the portal is a short time fix at best. HS recruiting and development would be the best approach and getting local kids is Akrons only chance to get out of this rut. No good players are coming through the portal and no top recruits are coming from around the country given Akrons struggles. Only finding some under recruited kids who are from Ohio and who think Akron gives them a shot and it’s close, familiar et and the coaches can develop them will end this cycle of failure. 

9 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I don’t disagree with an effort of recruiting the state of Ohio, but JoeMo and his staff have a long reach and would be foolish not to use it. Getting the best players no matter where they are located should be the goal. That being said, more Ohio quarterbacks will probably fill the pipeline due to Brad Maendler and his quarterback factory.

Other than Allar, Maendler’s QB factory looks like Lordstown, empty. He’s used that kid to his own self promotional success.