Game 8- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

Thought I would get this thread up because, well, somebody has to do it!

The Zips head to Bowling Green Saturday to face the 3-4 Falcons.  The Falcons have wins over Georgia Tech, Buffalo and Eastern Illinois and losses to Michigan, OU, Miami and Liberty.

Sophomore RB Terion Stewart (5’8” 225 lbs.) leads Falcons rushers at 70.6 ypg.  Stewart played at Sandusky High School and was Northwest District Offensive Player of the Year.  He ran for 91 yards against the Zips in 2021 but was not enrolled at BG last year missed the entire 2022 season due to academic and mental health issues.  He is coming off of a 123 yard performance on 25 carries against Buffalo.  Connor Bazelak, a senior QB from Kettering Alter is a transfer who played at Missouri and Indiana.  He is completing 59% of his passes and is averaging 189 ypg passing.  

• Like 2

I'll say BG takes the win, on paper.

This will be a highly entertaining game to watch for these two reasons:

1.) BGSU is the most Jekyll and Hyde team out there, and since they beat Buffalo, that means this week they will give up 42 points to the Zips.

2.) Zips will do absolutely anything and everything to lose this game (someone should let Joe know that tanking doesn't help as unfortunately there is no college draft). 

Simply put, you're likely to see the worst game of football ever. Which team wants to lose more? Hopefully Bowling Green, but let's not hold our breath.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, KangarooJake said:

I'll say BG takes the win, on paper.

This will be a highly entertaining game to watch for these two reasons:

1.) BGSU is the most Jekyll and Hyde team out there, and since they beat Buffalo, that means this week they will give up 42 points to the Zips.

2.) Zips will do absolutely anything and everything to lose this game (someone should let Joe know that tanking doesn't help as unfortunately there is no college draft). 

Simply put, you're likely to see the worst game of football ever. Which team wants to lose more? Hopefully Bowling Green, but let's not hold our breath.

You failed to mention one other fascinating and fun variable -- the BGSU wind tunnel.

The SP+ model once again predicts Akron beats the spread and loses close.

On the surface, this is certainly a winnable game, but they pretty much all will be in this league. I guess we've gotten to that point, for what it's worth. The league is bad, and there's no excuse to not get one or two of these before the season is over. Again, I can't even believe I'm saying that. I've lost sleep over this season, I hate to say.

This is one of the few teams in the league with QB(s) that aren't that much better than what we're trotting out there right now. Their strength is in the run game. Terion Stewart averages almost 6 yards per carry, and Camden Orth, one of the QBs they use, is a strong runner.

Under Loeffler, BG has been one of the most up-and-down programs in the entire country. He's in his 5th season and has never finished a season with a winning record, the closest being last year's 6-7 effort with a loss to NMSU in the Quick Lane Bowl. In his first year, they went 3-9 but beat Toledo for the first time in 10 years, in year two he had the worst team in the country that lost to Akron by 4 TDs, in year three he beat Minnesota before losing to Akron at home two weeks later, finishing 4-8. And last year, they started 0-2 with an FCS loss then beat Marshall, who was fresh off a win at Notre Dame. He then went on to beat Toledo again. Typing that out, even I didn't realize how wild a ride the Loeffler experience has been. Their new AD was hired to fix football and had no choice but to extend him after last year, and it looks like he's doing the thing again. Beat GT, shutout by Miami, go to Buffalo and dominate, home vs. Akron...?? Let's hope this is a down week for the Falcons. 

A home loss to 1-6 Akron may further push the AD to make the move, which their fans wouldn't exactly be mad about. I'll never forget in 2018 when BG came to Akron. They had fired Mike Jinks a month prior and were being coached by Carl Pelini. Akron, still with hopes of making a bowl game, lost on senior day 21-6, failing to find the end zone against a team that wound up giving up 30+ points a whopping 10 times that season. That was the last straw for me. It would be nice to have that effect on someone else for once. 

• Like 3

The Falcons are proving that running the ball is doing wonders for them. Terion Stewart continues to pace the rushing attack with 539 yards and four touchdowns. The Falcons currently sit at 971 rushing yards. 2022 saw the Falcons accumulate 1,283 rushing yards. Bowling Green is on pace to improve their rushing yardage total. Also worth noting that Stewart ranks third in FBS for rushes of 10+ yards (25).

This gives me flashbacks to the NIU game...who knows how many yards Stewart could rack up? Does he hit 250?

I'd start Undercuffler. Put him on a 2-turnover max leash. In goal line and short yardage situations, bring in Bullock...he's exceptionally good there.

The Blake Hester led the Arth-era Zips to a blowout win against the Falcons a couple years ago, so anything is possible. If Tibesar can stop the run, the Zips could break through...but I won't bet the house on it.

BGSU 31 - Zips 17. Zips offense scores on their first drive, and the defense gets a pick 6. Perez nails a 43 yarder. Other than that, Joe Dunn doesn't get many highlights for his show.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 10:03 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

We could build an edifice larger than the Great Pyramid of Giza will all of the last straws we've had with Akron football over the decades!

I just checked our record in the last 5 years (2018-2023) and we are 6 and 43 with a total of 3 conference wins.  We have watched some really bad football the last 5 years.  It is amazing that Akron football has any fans.  Watching our offense last week for 3 quarters was painful, especially the decision not to switch quarterbacks until the 4th quarter.  However, the defense this year except for Northern Illinois has been good and has kept us in games.  The Indiana game was fun to watch until the very end.    I am just hoping for a competitive game where our defense keeps us in the game and our offense is watchable.  

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Eh..is it so happy? 😂😋

I can’t believe I still get excited…but here I am! 🤡

At this point, I’m far too invested not to stick around. I do wish we were on a bye this week though. This has been a lot of non-stop trauma. 

Edit: also considering the strategy of not watching and listening only or checking in from time to time. We’ll see. 

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 1