Wagon Wheel Game 2023 - Game Thread

GoZips86

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

Well, here's the thread for this week. Someone had to do it lol. I'll really only be interested at this point if Jennings or Wasel starts. 

I think you probably need to become interested in the hope that Bullock has grown over the past couple weeks and shows some promise that he could be the leader in next year’s QB derby. 

Jennings showed almost nothing in the spring. Wasel was overwhelmed. I’d be 240 volt shocked if either saw a meaningful minute on the field next Wednesday. Or 241…whatever it takes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think you probably need to become interested in the hope that Bullock has grown over the past couple weeks and shows some promise that he could be the leader in next year’s QB derby. 

Jennings showed almost nothing in the spring. Wasel was overwhelmed. I’d be 240 volt shocked if either saw a meaningful minute on the field next Wednesday. Or 241…whatever it takes. 

Growth as in successfully throwing a ball out of bounds?

• Like 1

My final prediction:

Akron 2, Kent State 0 - 8 OT, Akron misses 13 field goals over the course of the game, thanks to Kent State kicking onside kicks left and right giving the Zips an average starting field position of the KSU 10 

Total yards KSU: -127, UA: -112

Final play, KSU lines up for a 2 pt. conversion in the top of the eighth overtime, only for the center to somehow snap the ball 108 yards over the QB's head resulting in a safety good guys win.

In all seriousness, I'm really not sure what to expect anymore. I think we all expect an L at this point, but I'm sure the feeling is mutual for Portage Co. HS, I really thought we had a great chance against BGSU. We did until we decided to run Madden plays and self destruct. For the sake of my bias, I'll say Zips 14, Flashes 10. Although, I'll be impressed if both offenses manage to find the endzone with offensive big brains Matt Johnson and Joe Moorhead clashing head to head. Gotta laugh at it, or we'll just be frustrated! 

See you all there, dress warm, temps look like they will plummet. Roll Zips

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

These guys have had 3 months of practice since spring.  It's time to see what they can do.  There won't be much pressure with mostly parents and girl friends in attendance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

No. Pass on Bullock. Time to see Jennings or Wasel. JM himself visited each of them at their houses multiple times to recruit them. I'd like to see what they have since he went after them. Bullock has looked bad thus far and wasn't exactly a guy Akron was desperately trying to get. His old college was happy to see him leave in the portal. This season is over, why not see what one of the high school recruits have to offer? Literally the Zips have nothing to lose seeing what one of the young guys has to offer. 

But sure, Bullock, we can start him. Yawn. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

OK, y'all have fun with ur Tahj next year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

No. Pass on Bullock. Time to see Jennings or Wasel. JM himself visited each of them at their houses multiple times to recruit them. I'd like to see what they have since he went after them. Bullock has looked bad thus far and wasn't exactly a guy Akron was desperately trying to get. His old college was happy to see him leave in the portal. This season is over, why not see what one of the high school recruits have to offer? Literally the Zips have nothing to lose seeing what one of the young guys has to offer. 

But sure, Bullock, we can start him. Yawn. 

At this point what do we have to lose by seeing what our young guys can do? From what I have seen we can still preserve their redshirt years if that’s what we are concerned about. We have to evaluate what we have at the QB position for the long term future and what better time than now to do it? 

At least then we’d at least be getting our future guys some meaningful snaps/experience versus bashing our heads against the wall trying to do the same thing each week and getting nowhere. 

• Like 4

We need to beat Kent and get some positive momentum going into 2024. This isn’t the time to give PT to guys just because they’re freshmen. 

If Wasel and Jennings haven’t received any PT this season, it isn’t because someone wants to preserve their eligibility. It’s because they are a lesser option than even Bullock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

We need to beat Kent and get some positive momentum going into 2024. This isn’t the time to give PT to guys just because they’re freshmen. 

If Wasel and Jennings haven’t received any PT this season, it isn’t because someone wants to preserve their eligibility. It’s because they are a lesser option than even Bullock.

But what does them being the "lesser option" matter at this point? This team is 1-6. Let me repeat, 1 win. Bullock is not the savior, he has more than proven that already. He can barely throw an accurate 5 yard pass. It's pretty clear others on here would actually care to watch if one of the young men got a chance in this waste of a season. What, does the "lesser options" bring fear that our "genius" head coach may have also recruited bad players on top of the other things he hasnt accomplished so far? JM is rather protected on this board by some, so maybe that's it, fear of further exposure.

Beating Kent does nothing at this point. For me that's just another way for an Akron fan to try to make lemonade out of a lemons season. This season is a wash and beating a fellow 1-6 team in front of 10 fans doesnt do anything for momentum because there are still plenty of games left for horrible loses this team seems to like to do this 2023 season. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

But what does them being the "lesser option" matter at this point? This team is 1-6. Let me repeat, 1 win. Bullock is not the savior, he has more than proven that already. He can barely throw an accurate 5 yard pass. It's pretty clear others on here would actually care to watch if one of the young men got a chance in this waste of a season. What, does the "lesser options" bring fear that our "genius" head coach may have also recruited bad players on top of the other things he hasnt accomplished so far? JM is rather protected on this board by some, so maybe that's it, fear of further exposure.

Beating Kent does nothing at this point. For me that's just another way for an Akron fan to try to make lemonade out of a lemons season. This season is a wash and beating a fellow 1-6 team in front of 10 fans doesnt do anything for momentum because there are still plenty of games left for horrible loses this team seems to like to do this 2023 season. 

I wish they were 1-6 

No. 132 in the country vs. 133.  Something has to give.

Kent beat Central Connecticut State, 3-4 in the Northeast Conference.  The Zips beat Morgan State.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but Morgan State came in a 1-0 off of a big FBS win over Richmond.  Since handing the Zips a win, they've not won a game.

I think we're stuck with Undercuffler and Bullock from here on out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Playing players because you "want to see what they can do ' is a form of fan Nihilism. 

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

No. 132 in the country vs. 133.  Something has to give.

Kent beat Central Connecticut State, 3-4 in the Northeast Conference.  The Zips beat Morgan State.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but Morgan State came in a 1-0 off of a big FBS win over Richmond.  Since handing the Zips a win, they've not won a game.

I think we're stuck with Undercuffler and Bullock from here on out.

Who knew the win against Morgan State would be the highlight of the season.

12 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Who knew the win against Morgan State would be the highlight of the season.

... and that 'win' just plain SUCKED/felt terrible. The 'highlight' of this season will be when the clock hits 00:00 in late-November. Life-long Zips fan but no way I attempt to put ANY lipstick on this pig.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

... and that 'win' just plain SUCKED/felt terrible. The 'highlight' of this season will be when the clock hits 00:00 in late-November. Life-long Zips fan but no way I attempt to put ANY lipstick on this pig.

I agree.  For "life long Zips fans" what made this season especially frustrating was the expectation that this season was going to be better.  With the near misses against Temple and Indiana, there was an expectation we would win in the MAC.  As "life long Zips fans" we should have known better.  

3 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree.  For "life long Zips fans" what made this season especially frustrating was the expectation that this season was going to be better.  With the near misses against Temple and Indiana, there was an expectation we would win in the MAC.  As "life long Zips fans" we should have known better.  

I mean, context is important. We lost our best shot at winning games by losing our top option at the most important position in football. The real failure this season is the staff's apparent failure to have even a playable back up. We currently have 5 playable scholarship QBs and the 2 the staff have played so far have been horrid.

Very interested to see what the staff does with the position next season. A high profile transfer (for MAC standards) is a must, and we should probably send a few packing if they can't get on the field considering what those above them on the depth chart have done. Overhaul is needed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I mean, context is important. We lost our best shot at winning games by losing our top option at the most important position in football. The real failure this season is the staff's apparent failure to have even a playable back up. We currently have 5 playable scholarship QBs and the 2 the staff have played so far have been horrid.

Very interested to see what the staff does with the position next season. A high profile transfer (for MAC standards) is a must, and we should probably send a few packing if they can't get on the field considering what those above them on the depth chart have done. Overhaul is needed. 

No. It's the failure after two years to have the future of the program under center, maybe even on the team. 

Edited by GP1

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

I know that people disagree but this is why I would at least like to maybe try our young quarterbacks for the rest of the season or at least part of it. We need to know the future of the QB position going forward through game action with meaningful snaps. 

We know what we are getting from Undercuffler and Bullock and so it’s time to see what our other options are. We can’t just try to keep doing the same things we’ve been doing with the same terrible results. If our backups (who were recruited in many cases specifically by JM) are not good then we have way deeper problems that aren’t going to be fixed anytime soon. 

• Like 2

Some numbers:

The Zips are 11th in the MAC in average points scored per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 9th in points surrendered per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 10th in offensive yards per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 6th in defensive yards surrendered; PCCC is 8th

The Zips are 11th in fan engagement and interest; PCCC is 12th

These are the numbers from conference play, not overall.  Looks like it is lining up to be a real slugfest.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:15 PM, GoZips86 said:

No. Pass on Bullock. Time to see Jennings or Wasel. JM himself visited each of them at their houses multiple times to recruit them. I'd like to see what they have since he went after them. 

Jennings was recruited by Arth and he committed to Akron while Arth was still employed as HC.