Wagon Wheel Game 2023 - Game Thread

GoZips86

2 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

Jennings was recruited by Arth and he committed to Akron while Arth was still employed as HC.

He might've been recruited by Arth, but he committed under the new staff.

Committed on 1/5/22 per his twitter, and he's an article saying he committed under the new staff: https://247sports.com/Article/akron-football-recruiting-dijon-jennings-179895756/

10 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some numbers:

The Zips are 11th in the MAC in average points scored per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 9th in points surrendered per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 10th in offensive yards per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 6th in defensive yards surrendered; PCCC is 8th

The Zips are 11th in fan engagement and interest; PCCC is 12th

These are the numbers from conference play, not overall.  Looks like it is lining up to be a real slugfest.

When a movable object meets a stoppable force...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LZIp said:

He might've been recruited by Arth, but he committed under the new staff.

Committed on 1/5/22 per his twitter, and he's an article saying he committed under the new staff: https://247sports.com/Article/akron-football-recruiting-dijon-jennings-179895756/

He verbally committed to Arth’s staff per their X posts in October of ‘21. He probably didn’t sign his NLI in December because of the uncertainty around the new hire. JoMo and Fessler closed the deal in January because they had only been on the job 2 weeks and hadn’t time to recruit anybody. 

My point is that Jennings is not Moorhead’s kid, nor Jankowski. Wasel is a different story but if they don’t give him a chance in last 4 games given where the season stands ( and his redshirt intact) then that may say something about their initial evaluation of him. 

I personally wish they would give Jankowski a start against the other worst team in FBS. With almost zero experience in three years, he has just a good a chance as what we’ve seen. 

• Like 1

This is the most difficult is has ever been in the history of this rivalry to get excited for the game. Maybe I'm over-exaggerating. After all, I wasn't exactly expecting to win in 2019-2021. Anyway, this would be a devastating and unacceptable loss. And the unfortunate thing is, I'm not expecting to win. I'm not sure there is any position on the entire field where Kent has a talent advantage, yet this Akron team has done everything in its power to keep me from believing in them.

I hope and pray that this game is a fairly comfortable win as it really should be. Reality is, it will be a rock/pillow fight. ugh. 

Go Zips! 🥲

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

This is the most difficult is has ever been in the history of this rivalry to get excited for the game. Maybe I'm over-exaggerating. After all, I wasn't exactly expecting to win in 2019-2021. Anyway, this would be a devastating and unacceptable loss. And the unfortunate thing is, I'm not expecting to win. I'm not sure there is any position on the entire field where Kent has a talent advantage, yet this Akron team has done everything in its power to keep me from believing in them.

I hope and pray that this game is a fairly comfortable win as it really should be. Reality is, it will be a rock/pillow fight. ugh. 

Go Zips! 🥲

I'm feeling the same way. I was reflecting on this and trying to make sense of how, even under Arth (and iCoach?!), I was somehow more excited about the Wagon Wheel game than I am this year.  The only thing I can figure is that going into the season with even modestly high expectations has just really taken a toll on me.  I'm going to watch the game, but it's going to be from the comfort of my easy chair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

He verbally committed to Arth’s staff per their X posts in October of ‘21. He probably didn’t sign his NLI in December because of the uncertainty around the new hire. JoMo and Fessler closed the deal in January because they had only been on the job 2 weeks and hadn’t time to recruit anybody. 

My point is that Jennings is not Moorhead’s kid, nor Jankowski. Wasel is a different story but if they don’t give him a chance in last 4 games given where the season stands ( and his redshirt intact) then that may say something about their initial evaluation of him. 

I personally wish they would give Jankowski a start against the other worst team in FBS. With almost zero experience in three years, he has just a good a chance as what we’ve seen. 

Not sure what QBs travel, but at the end of the BG game Jankowski was warming up on the sideline.  I suspect he would have been in on a final drive if we would have gotten the ball back.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm feeling the same way. I was reflecting on this and trying to make sense of how, even under Arth (and iCoach?!), I was somehow more excited about the Wagon Wheel game than I am this year.  The only thing I can figure is that going into the season with even modestly high expectations has just really taken a toll on me.  I'm going to watch the game, but it's going to be from the comfort of my easy chair.

I'm glad I'll be working and being productive; I'll watch the score on my phone. Maybe we can run the ball enough to score some points regardless of who's the QB. And maybe the game trophy should be changed from the wagon wheel to the garbage can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Go Zips! 🥲

You're not over exaggerating. 

6 hours ago, MarkWiley said:

Not sure what QBs travel, but at the end of the BG game Jankowski was warming up on the sideline.  I suspect he would have been in on a final drive if we would have gotten the ball back.

I have forgotten about Jankowski.  He came in with great potential.  He just might be the spark we need.  I'm now looking for one of our 3 untested QB's to start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

To add insult to injury?  It's setting the table for disappointment in the embarrassingly sparse attendance.

And now it's 30-degrees w/ snow 😭

Maybe they'll add an extra discount if you scrape off your own seat and the one next to you. 🥶

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

No. 132 in the country vs. 133.  Something has to give.

Kent beat Central Connecticut State, 3-4 in the Northeast Conference.  The Zips beat Morgan State.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but Morgan State came in a 1-0 off of a big FBS win over Richmond.  Since handing the Zips a win, they've not won a game.

I think we're stuck with Undercuffler and Bullock from here on out.

This is going to be a real pillow fight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ham said:

I have forgotten about Jankowski.  He came in with great potential.  He just might be the spark we need.  I'm now looking for one of our 3 untested QB's to start.

I can see the logic of starting another QB. I can also see logic in not starting a new one. You might see something that surprises. But, another Akron QB might get beat up and have his confidence destroyed. Those guys haven't been getting reps all season unless one of them did this week. Would be nice to beat KSU but I think its probably going to be up to the D to do it. Is Moorehead going to change at this point in the season? Not likely. You might get 1 win. But, with 3 games left against better opponents not sure that does much for momentum into 2024. How frustrating!

On 10/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Some numbers:

The Zips are 11th in the MAC in average points scored per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 9th in points surrendered per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 10th in offensive yards per game; PCCC is 12th

The Zips are 6th in defensive yards surrendered; PCCC is 8th

The Zips are 11th in fan engagement and interest; PCCC is 12th

These are the numbers from conference play, not overall.  Looks like it is lining up to be a real slugfest.

If the D can tighten up against the run, which has exposed it the last few weeks Akron has a shot. BUT, KSU is still running that fire alarm offense that has killed Akron the last few years. The D coaches need to have those guys ready to stay on the field and not get caught in substitutions.