Games 4, 5 & 6- Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

clarkwgriswold

The 3-0 Zips head off to the Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament this weekend.  The other teams competing in the tournament are Florida International (FIU), Drake, Utah State, Stephen F. Austin, Loyola Marymount, Oakland and Marshall.  The tournament will be broadcast by FloSports.

The Zips open on Sunday with FIU.  FIU was ranked 7th of the 9 teams in the Conference USA preseason poll.  5'11" sophomore guard Arturo Dean was named to the preseason first team.  As a freshman, Dean averaged 11.9 points per game, 4.1 rebounds per game, dished out a team-high 122 assists and played 29.7 minutes per game. He was the Freshman of the Year in the CUSA.  This year he's leading the team with 11.7 ppg and 3.7 rpg.  So far, they are 0-3 with losses to University of Miami, Tarleton State and Central Florida.

If the Zips win they play the winner of Marshall/Utah State.

• Thanks 3

Drake is the only other team in the tournament without a loss thus far, but they've beaten 2 stiffs.  Oakland is 1-2 but lost to OSU and Illinois and put a 19 point thumping on BG.  Loyola Marymount is 2-1, beating two unknowns and losing to Yale.  SAF is 2-1 with two wins over questionable competition and a 5 point loss to Middle Tennessee.  Marshall is 1-1 with a loss to Radford and a win over Queens.  Utah State is 2-1 with a loss to Bradley.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

Winning and facing Utah State and maybe Drake in the finals would be huge. I hope the game in South Dakota got the team acclimated to long travel for these games

It's only about a 3 1/2 flight to Grand Cayman. They arrive Friday afternoon and don't play their first game until Sunday. They should be well rested. I will make sure that none of them get pulled behind a boat on a inflatable banna this trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In all seriousness the Zips should get 3 good tests in this tournament! FIU is 0-3 but stayed with ranked Miami Fl. I would love to win one of these tournaments for once especially since there are no P5 teams but we also need to take it one day at a time. Focus on FIU and beating them. Ofc the 3 games in 3 days is always good prep for Cleveland. Excited to see where this teams ceiling is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

It's only about a 3 1/2 flight to Grand Cayman. They arrive Friday afternoon and don't play their first game until Sunday. They should be well rested. I will make sure that none of them get pulled behind a boat on a inflatable banna this trip.

From what I recall, the team doctor warned them to stay away from banana boats.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Walsh knows there's no I in team. 

They left it all on the floor.

My sources tell me they’ve changed their name to the Walsh CavalUSers following that huge scrimmage. Greg Gumbel is sure to mention it on Selection Sunday when awarding Oakland their 16-seed play-in spot. 

• Like 1

One thing I am looking forward to seeing more of is that shift where Dawson, Scott and Thornton come in together.  Those three teamed with Sammy or Nate with Enrique was as effective or more effective than Tavari, Tribble and Nate with Sammy and Enrique.

Thornton is a very good distributor.  Thanks to Xavier and Hankerson for helping to get him here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, csims0917 said:

Sf Austin beat LMU. It’ll be drake vs SF Austin to see who makes the finals 

Utah state and Marshall are playing now. Browns won too… thank god

Utah State beat the dog poop out of Marshall.

Football gods were smiling upon the Browns for what Pissburgh did to Chubb, and with Chubb in the house. Beautiful win. 7-3. Control your own destiny. 

• Like 1