Akron to play Ohio State to open the 2024 season

LZIp

1 hour ago, MangoZip said:

For everyone losing their sh*t because of the 2024 out of conference schedule, what do you think about 2025? Seems to be a really good blend of winnable games with a great venue payday mixed in. 

IMG_6112.jpeg

It's a decent schedule. There is a lot of time for the athletic department to screw this up between now and then. 

That post by that article (behind a paywall, because of course), drives me absolutely insane. Charles Guthrie is the only reason that this athletic department is alive right now. Say whatever you want about him and his tactics, attitude, ignorance to things, but he’s the reason that:

1. John Groce is on the length of contract he is, we haven’t lost assistant coaches, and we have had recent continued basketball success (I know it started before him, etc)

2. Our football team even had HOPE of being decent (anyone with a brain thought Morehead was a home run hire, it just didn’t work out, not his fault)

3. We are starting to see success in other sports (VB, Softball, Track/XC)

That article headline is such a stupid grab for attention. What he is saying is that while the MAC gets a boatload of money for midweek MACTION games, it’s horrible for attendance. He is quite literally saying what all of us have said, that we need to think out of the box. He said the Florida comment which was dumb, but hey, why not? Might be as may fans down there as there are up here.

What people just refuse to acknowledge is that AKRON DOESNT SUPPORT THE ZIPS. All of the pictures from back in the day with packed stands were either from: A game with free tickets, the opener of the season, or some special high school game. 

People in this area love HS football teams, the browns, and Ohio State (which is dumb because 90% of them didn’t graduate from there, sue me). 

Yes, the Zips are horrible, so bad, it makes me sad every morning, BUT, Charles is simply trying to stay relevant. The game day experience is horrible i know, and good teams fix this, but lets not act like he is some horrible athletic director for being smart and taking a $1,000,000 payday to avoid losing by 40 at home to UK. 

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with @zipsrowdy88 I do agree that Charles has been an overall successful hire as AD. He does talk a big talk at times, and that is okay, but it isn't always backed up, which still is a normal thing for anyone to do. 

With the OSU game situation, I don't think most people would care if we were to be playing on the road against Fill in the Blank P5 school and it got moved to OSU. If we are being realistic, Kentucky probably was never going to come to Akron, the timing of the move seems unfortunate. 

I haven't lived in Akron long, never seen a game at the Rubber Bowl or the Acme Zip game, but it doesn't take much to see that Akron does not support the Zips. There are many avenues UA can go to get more local support and hopefully they are trying it. And most people do say that winning is the cure all to athletic problems, I wouldn't say that is the only remedy look at soccer attendance and basketball attendance, consistently good programs for years and still it isn't a crowd of 5k people every night. 

It has to take a lot of change to get to the level a lot of us want to see, but we are still a MAC school in one of the greatest pro sports markets for fans in the country, with one of the top 5 greatest college football programs an hour and a half away. I hope we can improve, and it seems like we have in terms of an athletic department so far. Either way it isn't going to stop me from supporting the Zips

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

I would have to agree with @zipsrowdy88 I do agree that Charles has been an overall successful hire as AD. He does talk a big talk at times, and that is okay, but it isn't always backed up, which still is a normal thing for anyone to do. 

With the OSU game situation, I don't think most people would care if we were to be playing on the road against Fill in the Blank P5 school and it got moved to OSU. If we are being realistic, Kentucky probably was never going to come to Akron, the timing of the move seems unfortunate. 

I haven't lived in Akron long, never seen a game at the Rubber Bowl or the Acme Zip game, but it doesn't take much to see that Akron does not support the Zips. There are many avenues UA can go to get more local support and hopefully they are trying it. And most people do say that winning is the cure all to athletic problems, I wouldn't say that is the only remedy look at soccer attendance and basketball attendance, consistently good programs for years and still it isn't a crowd of 5k people every night. 

It has to take a lot of change to get to the level a lot of us want to see, but we are still a MAC school in one of the greatest pro sports markets for fans in the country, with one of the top 5 greatest college football programs an hour and a half away. I hope we can improve, and it seems like we have in terms of an athletic department so far. Either way it isn't going to stop me from supporting the Zips

Great point on the soccer and basketball attendance. 

Last year we HOSTED A NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME and had less than 500 people in attendance. Yeah, it was cold. Really cold. But good fan-bases show up. No reason for our basketball team to not have great turnouts each game, actually pretty insane how empty that arena is.

Yeah, some of it is on marketing, student turnout, etc. But a lot of it is just simply lack of caring. It’s pathetic and annoying as a true fan, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

If our program was even close to the level of Toledo's I'd be absolutely stoked about facing OSUcks.  As it is, we're almost certainly in for a nationally televised shellacking which will only serve to make Joe Akron's eyes roll even harder at the already nearly unthinkable prospect of actually supporting the Zippers.  I already suffer enough workplace abuse from the absurdity of actually being a fan of our local team.  I can only shudder when I imagine the abuse I'm going to be taking next August.  In August of this year I actually had a co-worker ask me, "Are they still called the Zips?"  And this is in Akron!!! 😡😡😡

'25 schedule looks spot on.  Shockingly, it looks like it was actually put together by an intelligent adult who has a clue as to the currently inglorious state of our football program.  However, this is UA Athletics, so they could certainly still screw it up... maybe they'll add Alabama or Georgia? 😂

This year's schedule was also perfect for a potential Top 25 ranking but we couldn't come anywhere close to capitalizing.

Ugh.

Here are two things we should do.

1. We need to work overtime to renew our rivalry with YSU.  We need rivalry games because we desperately need meaningful games.  Rivaly games are a way to (artificially) manufacture meaningful games... even if the games aren't meaningful outside of the two schools' fanbases.  Look at how excited we were - and how Akron twitter blew up! - after we beat lowly KSUcks this year.  YSU is another natural rival who would bring a large contingent of fans to the Info to make for a potentially great environment.  Bring back the Steel Tire Trophy!

Make the annual Akron-Youngstown State Steel Tire Trophy game our opening game every year!  An annual tradition!  (I know, I know... YSU doesn't want to play in Akron every year... to renew the rivalry they also want us to make alternating trips to Youngstown... or something along those lines... that's deserving of its own conversation).

2. Make KSUcks our first MAC game every year.  

a) Both teams are still in contention for the MAC East at that point

b) midweek MACtion has not yet started laying waste to MAC football attendance, and

c) the weather is still nice.

a+b+c=a perfect storm for a fun game day environment at the Info.

Rocket science, I know.

These are two seemingly obviousno brainer moves.  Moves which are so obvious that I simply can't imagine fully functioning adults in the UA Athletics department haven't been fighting tooth-and-nail for these for years.  So, for some reason it's probably easier said than done.  It does seem that ESPN has us by the balls. Do we have any say in our conference scheduling?  At all?  Or are we 100% ESPN's b*tch?

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

From a Facebook post about the Rubberbowl. Don Buckey is a local HS legend. He and his brother Dave stared at Kenmore and later at NC St in the late 60's early 70's. What he said holds true today. 

Screenshot_20231127_082549_Facebook.thumb.jpg.5f89df938795053f95edfc9d0ef28fe2.jpgScreenshot_20231126_221757_Facebook.thumb.jpg.cc33dbafb0ce114f1176fe4c75de0590.jpg

The guy in the bottom right of the photo looks like he is pi$$ed he had to wait in line to take a dump at halftime in the doorless stall containing the only toilet on the pressbox side. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Make the annual Akron-Youngstown State Steel Tire Trophy game our opening game every year! 

Good post, but I respectfully disagree with this part. 

Akron needs to work in conjunction with the other mac schools to move to a 9 game conference season like the Sun Belt. The rivalries need to be within the conference. YSU would want home and home. That would not benefit the program in any way. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Good post, but I respectfully disagree with this part. 

Akron needs to work in conjunction with the other mac schools to move to a 9 game conference season like the Sun Belt. The rivalries need to be within the conference. YSU would want home and home. That would not benefit the program in any way. 

What would you're thinking be if YSU agreed to play in Akron every year?

35 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Buckey is on the ball.  To say that was a typical crowd in the 60's is revisionist history.  Certainly, the crowds were better but that has to be an Acme Zip game crowd, not a typical crowd.

To me, it's about what fans think is a good crowd. I believe 10,000 actual people in stadium is an achievable goal. Expecting sell outs isn't realistic. Wake Forest only has a 27,000 seat stadium and for many games there are only 15,000 actual people in seats and they are in the ACC. Nobody complains about attendance because gameday experience is good and the football is entertaining. If nobody wants that, that's their issue but the university does everything possible to make it a good event for those in attendance. 

I don't think free tickets are good because nothing is really free. I also am no a fan of middle men giving my customers something because of my efforts (Acme Zip Game). The people of Ohio are paying for Mac sports. Taxpayers should see the benefit of their tax dollars by getting four general admission tickets to two MAC sporting events every year. Give the public what they are already paying for. 

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

What would you're thinking be if YSU agreed to play in Akron every year?

I don't think they would. They need home games just like us and they need a payday just like us. We can't take up a spot on their schedule for either if there is nothing in return. 

• Like 1

I can see both sides of this. From a business front, this is a smart move and will bring the program much needed revenue. I assume the numbers are accurate from this site. It shows the athletic department is slightly in the black. Home game ticket sales account for only 2% of the revenue. And if I recall correctly, the football team didn’t even come close to their asking amount on the Day of Giving Campaign. When that’s the case, other moves must be made to fill the gaps.

Yes, we will probably be manhandled. Although, if the team can hang for even a half, that can be spun positively in recruiting. I’m sure there are a number of players on the team that will be looking forward to playing on the big stage. Most (if not all) of our recruits were over looked by OSU and this will be their chance to show they belong.

It’s not all negative and could be a net positive as long as this type of scheduling does not become a yearly event.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I can see both sides of this. From a business front, this is a smart move and will bring the program much needed revenue. I assume the numbers are accurate from this site. It shows the athletic department is slightly in the black. Home game ticket sales account for only 2% of the revenue. And if I recall correctly, the football team didn’t even come close to their asking amount on the Day of Giving Campaign. When that’s the case, other moves must be made to fill the gaps.

Yes, we will probably be manhandled. Although, if the team can hang for even a half, that can be spun positively in recruiting. I’m sure there are a number of players on the team that will be looking forward to playing on the big stage. Most (if not all) of our recruits were over looked by OSU and this will be their chance to show they belong.

It’s not all negative and could be a net positive as long as this type of scheduling does not become a yearly event.

Do you think we could use playing at OSUcks next year to help us land a better P5 transfer QB than if OSUcks wasn't on our schedule?  Do you think this gives us any recruiting advantage which we didn't have prior to this game being announced?

Edited by Blue & Gold

I would renew the series with YSU for the opening game each year. I would also only do it if YSU accepted a 2 for 1 contract ( 2 at UA for 1 at YSU). I don't think YSU would accept that, but those are the conditions under which I would play them.

1 minute ago, 72 Roo said:

I would renew the series with YSU for the opening game each year. I would also only do it if YSU accepted a 2 for 1 contract ( 2 at UA for 1 at YSU). I don't think YSU would accept that, but those are the conditions under which I would play them.

I wouldn't even do that. I'd do 2 at UA and 1 neutral site in Canton or Cleveland or something 

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Do you think we could use playing at OSUcks next year to help us land a better P5 transfer QB than if OSUcks wasn't on our schedule?  Do you think this gives us any recruiting advantage which we didn't have prior to this game being announced?

I don’t know if it helps that much on the front end. Maybe it’s something that can be used as a tipping point in trying to sway someone that was already considering us? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Spoiler alert, it is a yearly event 

3 P5 opponents, when you trade out a home game with one for an away game against a blue blood certainly doesn't happen every year. If this was Joe's first year I wouldn't even feel so strongly about it, but year 3 could very well be a make or break year. We'll have to go 5-3 in the MAC just to make a bowl game.

I hope for some grace if we only win 4 or 5 games considering the circumstances, but you never know.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If our program was even close to the level of Toledo's I'd be absolutely stoked about facing OSUcks.  As it is, we're almost certainly in for a nationally televised shellacking which will only serve to make Joe Akron's eyes roll even harder at the already nearly unthinkable prospect of actually supporting the Zippers.  I already suffer enough workplace abuse from the absurdity of actually being a fan of our local team.  I can only shudder when I imagine the abuse I'm going to be taking next August.  In August of this year I actually had a co-worker ask me, "Are they still called the Zips?"  And this is in Akron!!! 😡😡😡

'25 schedule looks spot on.  Shockingly, it looks like it was actually put together by an intelligent adult who has a clue as to the currently inglorious state of our football program.  However, this is UA Athletics, so they could certainly still screw it up... maybe they'll add Alabama or Georgia? 😂

This year's schedule was also perfect for a potential Top 25 ranking but we couldn't come anywhere close to capitalizing.

Ugh.

Here are two things we should do.

1. We need to work overtime to renew our rivalry with YSU.  We need rivalry games because we desperately need meaningful games.  Rivaly games are a way to (artificially) manufacture meaningful games... even if the games aren't meaningful outside of the two schools' fanbases.  Look at how excited we were - and how Akron twitter blew up! - after we beat lowly KSUcks this year.  YSU is another natural rival who would bring a large contingent of fans to the Info to make for a potentially great environment.  Bring back the Steel Tire Trophy!

Make the annual Akron-Youngstown State Steel Tire Trophy game our opening game every year!  An annual tradition!  (I know, I know... YSU doesn't want to play in Akron every year... to renew the rivalry they also want us to make alternating trips to Youngstown... or something along those lines... that's deserving of its own conversation).

2. Make KSUcks our first MAC game every year.  

a) Both teams are still in contention for the MAC East at that point

b) midweek MACtion has not yet started laying waste to MAC football attendance, and

c) the weather is still nice.

a+b+c=a perfect storm for a fun game day environment at the Info.

Rocket science, I know.

These are two seemingly obviousno brainer moves.  Moves which are so obvious that I simply can't imagine fully functioning adults in the UA Athletics department haven't been fighting tooth-and-nail for these for years.  So, for some reason it's probably easier said than done.  It does seem that ESPN has us by the balls. Do we have any say in our conference scheduling?  At all?  Or are we 100% ESPN's b*tch?

Akron, and other schools have been playing 'sacrifice' games for years and years. In Akron's case those big $$$ have not translated into sustained succes on the field or a rise in fan support.. So in the case of footballwhere has it gotten us?