Akron Zips Basketball All-Time Leaders

Zippy87

3 hours ago, Zip JD said:

I hope so.  They were down last year as well.  Also, no Taylor Made or Summa ball toss, no $10K putt at halftime, no Tim Miller sponsored 3 Pointers (that has been gone for a while), no Gionino's T shirt toss, no strong sponsorship presence at all.  

You’ll take the “Papa John’s sub of the game” and you are gonna like it!

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

Touche.  You have won this round Reslife but much like mediocre officiating at the JAR, I will be back.   

A long long time ago in a time when we had half time shows I still remember a women who did an amazing balancing act with plates and she also performed at the Cavs game.  

About 25+ years ago I was at my nephew's rec league game at Hyre Jr high. Joe Jakubick was coaching one of the teams. He started shooting half court shots he made 7 in a row before missing. He stopped at that point. 

At one game (I think was against E Kentucky) he was bringing the ball up court. The defense was playing a box and one. When he got over half court he picked up his dribble at the larger circle around the half court jump circle. He turned back toward half court to pass the ball to the point guard ( Tony? I can't remember the last name from Willard). The defender moved with him and was now standing at half court. So Joe turned back toward the basket and took the shot, nothing but net. He had unlimited range.

7 hours ago, Zip JD said:

I hope so.  They were down last year as well.  Also, no Taylor Made or Summa ball toss, no $10K putt at halftime, no Tim Miller sponsored 3 Pointers (that has been gone for a while), no Gionino's T shirt toss, no strong sponsorship presence at all.  

On a positive note, they came up with the idea to get the students in the lower bowl and ummm, well....

No game night experience; music so loud you can't have a discussion during a timeout; they now charge for parking; the northeast entrance is closed; the courtside lounge is a colossal failure....   Thank goodness Groce is putting a good product on the court to keep the diehards coming.

• Like 3

Pat McAfee brought in Red Panda to perform during his annual NFL Draft Spectacular. She's widely regarded as the 2nd greatest halftime show of all time, trailing only 2001 Thanksgiving Creed, and the greatest recurring halftime show of all time. She's the GOAT. She messes up now more than ever, but she's still electrifying. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Pat McAfee brought in Red Panda to perform during his annual NFL Draft Spectacular. She's widely regarded as the 2nd greatest halftime show of all time, trailing only 2001 Thanksgiving Creed, and the greatest recurring halftime show of all time. She's the GOAT. She messes up now more than ever, but she's still electrifying. 

That is amazing!!

2 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Freeman is now at 1,483 points and 1,162 rebounds. He needs 9 points to pass Travis and move into 8th all-time for points. He needs 10 rebounds to pass Bill Turner and move to 4th all-time.

Special player!

So one more game. 😁

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, Zippy87 said:

Since I can't find any kind of media guide from Athletics, I used on older one and added our more recent players to the rankings. Let me know if anything looks incorrect!

ZipsAll-TimeLeaders.thumb.png.016b57d964ec427eb5e1c25749476e0e.png

Now at 1526 for points and 1184 for rebounds. 51 behind Jimmal Ball and 61 behind LCJ for points for sixth place and 34 rebounds to move into 2nd place! all time. That's only about three more games for him. Amazing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Freeman is now at 1600 points, 1235 rebounds, and 160 blocks.

He needs 126 rebounds to pass Fred Goldberg and become the all-time leader.

He needs 6 blocks to pass Romeo Travis and move to 2nd all-time. He's still 208 blocks behind Zeke Marshall - who may never lose that record.

He needs 31 points to pass Bill Turner for 4th all-time in points and 58 to pass John Britton and move to #3. 

Enjoy this young man, he's an all-time great Zip!

• Like 3

LCJ was 70 pts away from being the 5th all time scorer in Akron history, and he was robbed of most likely 3 games in Cleveland and potentially 1-2 games in the Big Dance. That's criminal.

Also pretty wild that in 7 years, Groce has produced 2 of the top 7 scorers in Akron history. 

• Like 2