Increasing JAR Attendance/Engaging the Fans

Add to my JAR/Athletics wish list:

On night's like last night, we have to find a way to at least fill up the blue seats. Having full rows of lower blue seats empty with people sitting in the bleachers is such a bad look and doesn't help with crowd energy.

I'm not sure of the fix. Sell any open lower level seats remaining 15 minutes before the game for a discounted rate? Establish better ways for STH to sell to other fans? Use dynamic pricing (who was paying $25+ to sit in lower seats to watch UA-EMU on a Tuesday?).

This was our best post-pandemic year for home attendance.

2023-24 - 2,650 (4th)

2022-23 - 1,921 (8th)

2021-22 - 1,927 (7th)

2019-20 - 2,703 (5th)

2018-19 - 2,609 (6th)

2017-18 - 2,824 (5th)

2016-17 - 3,391 (4th)

2015-16 - 3,352 (3rd)

2014-15 - 3,214 (4th)

2013-14 - 3,609 (3rd)

2012-13 - 3,782 (3rd)

• Like 2

If they do something like that, they need to be transparent with the season ticket holders and donors who pay a premium for those.  Each of those seats comes with an "Athletic Club" donation of $500 per seat.  Maybe make those seats open for some games and not others but only for season ticket holders outside the lower bowl.  But they have professionals in place to handle these decisions, no?

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

If they do something like that, they need to be transparent with the season ticket holders and donors who pay a premium for those.  Each of those seats comes with an "Athletic Club" donation of $500 per seat.  Maybe make those seats open for some games and not others but only for season ticket holders outside the lower bowl.  But they have professionals in place to handle these decisions, no?

Do season ticket holders have a formal way to sell tickets to games they can't attend? 

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't a D1 athlete so went to Malone College to play college baseball.  While at Malone they and Walsh (their rival) had a yearly event that was pretty cool.  To kick off the beginning of each basketball season they'd invite two teams to town, let's just say Team A and Team B.  We'd have doubleheaders on Friday night and Saturday night.  Friday night's doubleheader would be hosted at one of the schools and then Saturday night's doubleheader would be hosted at the other school.  If Malone hosted first, the first Friday night game would feature Walsh playing Team A and then in the nightcap Malone would play Team B.  The next night, Saturday, the games would be at Walsh with the first game of the night being Malone playing Team A with the nightcap game being, of course, Walsh playing Team B.  We'd have a lot of fans from both teams attend both nights. Two good games two nights in a row.  You get to see your team in early season action. Plus you get to see how your biggest rival looks & imagine how the rivalry games might play out that year.  It was always fun.  We should do that with KSUcks.

We also need to renew our home-&-homes with Cleveland State.

Get a home-&-home going with Duquesne.

Continue the MAC-v-Sunbelt Challenge.

Tell the MAC we & Toledo want a home & home every year.

Get a couple games/year with Big East schools, who you'd like to think would be more willing due to our soccer affiliation. Of course these would be on the road, but maybe our soccer buddies would throw us a bone & give us some 2-for-1's away/home? We could play 2 BE teams on the road & have 1 at home.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I wasn't a D1 athlete so went to Malone College to play college baseball.  While at Malone they and Walsh (their rivals) had a yearly event that was pretty cool.  To kick off the beginning of each basketball season they'd invite two teams to town, let's just say Team A and Team B.  We'd have doubleheaders on Friday night and Saturday night.  Friday night's doubleheader would be hosted at one of the schools and then Saturday night's doubleheader would be hosted at the other school.  If Malone hosted first, the first Friday night game would feature Walsh playing Team A and then in the nightcap Malone would play Team B.  The next night, Saturday, the games would be at Walsh with the first game of the night being Malone playing Team A with the nightcap game being, of course, Walsh playing Team B.  We'd have a lot of fans from both teams attend both nights. Four good games two nights in a row.  You get to see your team in early season action. Plus you get to see how your biggest rival looks & imagine how the rivalry games might play out that year.  It was always fun.  We should do that with KSUcks.

We also need to renew our home-&-homes with Cleveland State.

Get a home-&-home going with Duquesne.

Continue the MAC-v-Sunbelt Challenge.

Tell the MAC we & Toledo want a home & home every year.

Get a couple games/year with Big East schools, who you'd like to think would be more willing due to our soccer affiliation. Of course these would be on the road, but maybe our soccer buddies would throw us a bone & give us some 2-for-1's away/home? We could play 2 BE teams on the road & have 1 at home.

I don't want to be around that stench more than I have to be - which is already 3x every year it seems. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, BlueGold Zip said:

not sure why they wont bring back the basketball celebration banquet.  It was an enjoyable event back when KD was here but Charles and Seth have no interest.  I thought it promoted the program well much like the pre season tip off event .  

Events like these benefit the athletes students alumni fans and general community around Akron. They are a good thing and should happen. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the engaging the fans level, I received a very nice thank you phone call today from Evan Wilson on behalf of the program thanking me for my continued support.  Nice touch.

I suspect the big donors like @NWAkron get calls from Enrique but I very much enjoyed getting the call from Evan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

On the engaging the fans level, I received a very nice thank you phone call today from Evan Wilson on behalf of the program thanking me for my continued support.  Nice touch.

I suspect the big donors like @NWAkron get calls from Enrique but I very much enjoyed getting the call from Evan.

No call.  I'm taken for granted.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 4:41 PM, BlueGold Zip said:

not sure why they wont bring back the basketball celebration banquet.  It was an enjoyable event back when KD was here but Charles and Seth have no interest.  I thought it promoted the program well much like the pre season tip off event .  

I would welcome a Post-Season Reception at the JAR like they have done with the successful Tip-off Receptions.  This team needed celebrated one last time.  It just seems like we miss out on building something more when we have momentum in our favor.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

I would welcome a Post-Season Reception at the JAR like they have done with the successful Tip-off Receptions.  This team needed celebrated one last time.  It just seems like we miss out on building something more when we have momentum in our favor.

At the pre-season event Guthrie stopped by our group and said hello. We told him about the past post-season banquets and how well attended they were. He said had no idea such a thing was done before, and wrote himself a note to look into reactivating it.

Maybe he lost the note.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6